WIP: Deltaglider XR-1

Redneck

well earlier in the thread i was told that if I keep the mappings unchanged that it should be possible to re-skin it. I think its a great idea and I am keeping in mind exactly that as I work on this. Now I will be honest. The mappings for the cockpit are gone. All groups and meshes was combined into one single texture and mesh. This was absolutely necessary in order not to lag the game. Believe me the cockpit lagged it big-time. But I dont think this will be a factor because people just want to re-skin the outside anyways. So I think we are safe there in that regard.

I really have been thinking alot about putting a team together. I could use a coder. I need a PR/Presentation person to answer questions and keep up with the thread. I would like both those people to help with testing and advising me on bugs,issues and ideas. Such as Licensing. Which one is the correct one. I got permission to use the meshes. So the proper License is important here. Im a modder not a lawyer. These things do not interest me but are necessary per forum rules. CKAN I would like to implement this also. But anyways...

Yes, keeping an identical interior is probably a wise idea. After all, most people don't pay too much attention to it after the first time they look around in it.

This will be an interactive cockpit I hope they use it. The idea is to be able to do a mission all without external view if that is the users wish

Oh BTW Maverick I was just goofing around out of curiosity

Nj47hga.png?1

LOL

Edited by Redneck

Oh BTW Maverick I was just goofing around out of curiosity

http://i.imgur.com/Nj47hga.png?1

LOL

o.O

THANK YOU!

EDIT: For those of you unfamiliar with that monstrosity on the runway, that is the UCGO Arrow Freighter. Long-haul cargo ship with 40 cargo slots standard. (Those had better be KIS crate compatible, Redneck. ;) ) Crew capacity of, what, 25? Something like that. Internal docking bay suitable for either the Delta Glider OR the XR-2 Ravenstar. Rover lift to support an Azure Rover (you should throw the Azure-only rule out so other designs can be used). INSANE dV budget... but no flying from Earth/Kerbin as packaged... the hover thrusters weren't strong enough for that. Landings on most other bodies weren't an issue, though.

Hrm... Since you're toying around with more than just the XR family, perhaps you would be wiling to look into the Shuttle-A? You'd need Infernal Robotics support for the side engines, but... Food for though.

Edited by MaverickSawyer

no doubt so many possiblities. I luv this game. Do you remember the G42 starliner that harvesters brother moach never finished? Thats another one that comes to mind. So Maverick what do you think? You want to get in on this lil project?

no doubt so many possiblities. I luv this game. Do you remember the G42 starliner that harvesters brother moach never finished? Thats another one that comes to mind. So Maverick what do you think? You want to get in on this lil project?

I can't code or model. And I can fiddle with the normal .cfgs, but custom writing one is beyond me. But, as my title says, I'm a Destructive Field Tester. Gimme something to test, and I'll do my level best to find any bugs or glitches that lurk in it.

ok guys I had a friend of mine try it out. I got some minor stuff to do to at least get it good enough to try out. Thank you guys for offering to help. Im trying out KOS scripting. I got to get the action to wait for the animation to finish otherwise it just screws everything up. Odyssey this would be a good challenge for you. You up for it?

EDIT: i added KOS computer module to deltaglider body in the .cfg

MODULE

{

name = kOSProcessor

diskSpace = 60000

}

Edited by Redneck

I am working on closing holes in the body mesh. Will post some images shortly

Seen in this image is a before and after meshes in blender. On the left Is the fixed mesh with wing mounting points filled in. Also shown is the area I enclosed where the hover engines go underneath

On right is the before fix was applied

wZM68gQ.png?1

This next image is me enclosing the small RCS ports notice the holes in the bottom where you can see through the mesh. This is the reason I am filling them in. Thanks to BeechCraft118 for testing it out and shooting straight from the hip

UqvJzN6.png?1

Edited by Redneck

So how efficient are the engines going to be? Are they going to have the same specs as in Orbiter? Also, can you make a version for RSS?

Unknown at this time. Right Now just trying to get everything into the game and working. Will work on fine tuning it last! Such as FAR and whatnot. After experimenting with the RCS engines due to their small size they are going to have to be implemented as a block. Working on thrustTransforms orientations now

I haven't tried RSS I'll leave that for you guys to experiment with

Edited by Redneck

So how efficient are the engines going to be? Are they going to have the same specs as in Orbiter? Also, can you make a version for RSS?

Well, which set of specs? DG Mk IV, DanSteph's DGIV-3, or Altea Aerospace's XR1? They're all different animals, and the second and third birds are highly tweakable...

YES.

Hmm... could you make a form-fitting extended endurance module (life support, fuel, monoprop, etc) for those who want to use this for long-haul missions?

You mean like modules like UCGO has? I dont see why not. We will have to play with those later but as far as the bay itself doors opening and closing thats something that has to be done now as its part of the body itself and the animations are required and its not very time consuming. I am about to start messing with sounds. Do we want Turbo pump sounds or scram?

Once you've completed this baby, you're going to have to go through and cut the model up in the attempt to make it into a sort of "Delta-Glider fuselage" set, you know that right? In theory, you could cut all these parts up and still have them use a single texture set, or the same set of multiple textures, for easy re-skinning and/or texture-swapping, and end up with a basic glider model that can swap out mid-fuselage modules for the need of the end user. For instance, swapping out fuel capacity for a cargo bay, or a cargo truss, or an extended crew module, etc. Even if you simply cut out the middle part of the fuselage, gave it a shroud-type surface for when it's not occupied, and then made it able to mount a variety of these mid-section modules, it would extend its usability a ton.

Just something to mull over it your head.

Once you've completed this baby, you're going to have to go through and cut the model up in the attempt to make it into a sort of "Delta-Glider fuselage" set, you know that right? In theory, you could cut all these parts up and still have them use a single texture set, or the same set of multiple textures, for easy re-skinning and/or texture-swapping, and end up with a basic glider model that can swap out mid-fuselage modules for the need of the end user. For instance, swapping out fuel capacity for a cargo bay, or a cargo truss, or an extended crew module, etc. Even if you simply cut out the middle part of the fuselage, gave it a shroud-type surface for when it's not occupied, and then made it able to mount a variety of these mid-section modules, it would extend its usability a ton.

Just something to mull over it your head.

Well right now priority is getting the basic model and its functions in the game. If other people want to reskin and make new cargos thats up to them. But I got a fleet that i got to get ported over. Right now with the exception of the cockpit all texture mappings are unchanged. So skinning will be possible. The model itself is like 17 or 18 parts I think

Edited by Redneck

You mean like modules like UCGO has? I dont see why not. We will have to play with those later but as far as the bay itself doors opening and closing thats something that has to be done now as its part of the body itself and the animations are required and its not very time consuming. I am about to start messing with sounds. Do we want Turbo pump sounds or scram?

More like the tank modules from the Ravenstar or the DGIV... although a four-slot rack for KIS crates to replace UCGO would be nifty. ;)

And YES, we want sounds.

There's a dreamchaser mod that has kind of a UCGO system (at least in part) - it's essentially containers that fit into its (tiny) cargo bay that you can use with KIS and KAS (which I'd highly recommend making this compatible with).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.