WWII Boeing B-29 Superfortress Bomber (w/ Silverplate variant)

The Boeing B-29 Superfortress was a four-engine propeller-driven heavy bomber designed by Boeing flown primarily by the United States during World War II and the Korean War.

It took me about three days to complete both replicas, after sending them through overhauls.

Conventional Superfortress:

This is the regular version, equipped with the conventional firebombs.

bAG7B7B.png

FCytW8P.png

2B56wDj.png

PVPmEg7.jpg

Notable uses: Tokyo and Yawata Bombing Raids

Craft File - Mediafire

B-29 "Silverplate" Variant:

Modified to carry atomic bombs (and drop them over Japan in WWII, the only wartime use of atomic bombs against an enemy.) Perhaps the most famous B-29s ever made.

BnvBVeu.png

gNfVSJF.png

8eiyIGu.png

YDTKltd.png

isXh8Wn.png

The bomb inside is based on the "Little Boy" which was dropped over Hiroshima.

Notable uses: Dropping Atomic bombs over Hiroshima and Nagasaki. (The most famed role of the B-29)

Craft File - Mediafire

Capacity:

Both aircraft have eleven passengers fully loaded (As the IRL B-29 does), and each of them have been placed according to the actual roles. (Meaning, some of them get to have a view!)

Here are some of the best IVA views:

Tail Gunner

0rb7GHM.png

Waist Gunner

2kWWARb.png

Top Gunner

wJlqcQc.png

Instructions on operation are in the aircraft description.

Changelog: 1.0 - Initial release

1.1 - Moved wings forward

2.0 - Full changelog is here

Special thanks to CommanderSpock and pTrevTrevs for assisting me on assembly.

Thanks for viewing, and leave some rep and a comment if you liked it! :D

Edited by Columbia
Updated!

I may just have to make a preview video for this. It's beautiful and handles like a real bomber would.

http://i.imgur.com/TLZiB64.png

http://i.imgur.com/KiQ8XgY.png

I'd be almost starstruck if you did - Thank you! :D

Nice work! I like what you did for the cockpits.

Thanks! I needed a lighning bolt of inspiration for the idea, though. :sticktongue:

Looks magnificent! I really need to try and do this sometime.

"You must spread reputation around before giving it to Columbia again"

Thank you! Building vintage bombers has become my second KSP hobby, the first being airliners and space stations.

Also, I think the comment is worth tons of rep already. ;)

Yeah, I think that's perfect!

Thanks! I'm hoping no other problems crop up, having to make sure that I do the exact same procedures on two aircraft is mildly irritating, but it looks better now.

If only my thread was showing as much love! ;)

Well, it's all part of the Spacecraft Exchange. People ignore some works (even if they worked their hardest i to making it function), unfortunately. (More often than not, many of the crafts I release have a reply to span ratio of about.. 1:100. Ah well, I get frustrated about it too, sometimes. ;)

The silver plate version didn't have turrets.

http://www.456fis.org/THE%20B-29/boeing2.jpg

I believe it had rear turrets, though. But I don't believe they had anywhere else. (Although I left the turrets on the Top Gunner..)

B-29-509-walker.jpg

Yeah, Silverplate B-29s had a tail gun with two .50 caliber machine guns and a 20 mm cannon, but everything else, including the remote turret control thing I think B-29s had, was ripped out to make the aircraft light enough to carry atomic bombs.

Yeah, Silverplate B-29s had a tail gun with two .50 caliber machine guns and a 20 mm cannon, but everything else, including the remote turret control thing I think B-29s had, was ripped out to make the aircraft light enough to carry atomic bombs.

^^Pretty much.. :P

You may notice the lack of waist turrets in this image of an aerial bombing from a Silverplate.

SF42DHW.jpg

My lack of knowledge of creating stock propellers is my weakness...

I'd say ttying to find one that looks suitable was my weakness too :) KSP has rather few blade-like parts.

That picture reminds Me of the B-29 that couldn't reach the U.S. Held islands with big enough runways so it landed on Iwo Jima during the battle for that runway.

Huh, it does look like it.. I only noticed now!

IwoJimaAHardWonHavenHi.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.