Remove the nosecone on the new mk1Cockpit - Gifs and pictures

Should the nosecone on the new mk1Cockpit model be replaced with a 0.625 node?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Should the nosecone on the new mk1Cockpit model be replaced with a 0.625 node?

• Remove the nosecone
    • Keep the nosecone

Please read before you vote!

Removing the built in nosecone on the new mk1Cockpit model and replacing it with a 0.625m node would enable players to replace it with the avionics pack, the stock 0.625m nosecone, as well as all small probe parts, the mk16 parachute, the junior docking port, science equipment, the new 0.625 intake, and all other parts in it's place. It would allow further compatibility with other parts, and come at a relatively small cost to backwards compatible craft, the aesthetics of the part, CoM, and drag.

*0.625 nodes are approximate.

sJpG8yN.gif

*Node proportions are correct (1 to 1/2).

fsMDd5e.gif

hn6Pxos.png

PLEASE NOTE that all unofficial and unannounced polls don't give accurate data, as not every branch and every user in the KSP fanbase see them. With this in mind, keep voting. :)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Sounds pretty reasonable. What about CoM shift, though?

It couldn't possibly be worse than how it is with the current Mk1 XD. In all seriousness though the CoM would go back to its original place once you put on a nosecone. Removing the nosecone would also make the capsule closer in length to the old model, so it might even normalize the CoM to closer to what it was before.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Why even remove it? It will look much worse with anything but the nose cone.

Not true, you could use the avionics pack. And further more this is KSP! Let me quote Porkjet: "we know you like to build unorthodox things" (1.1 imgur album, goliath turbofan slide). That should be in a list of "best KSP dev quotes ever"... I can remove that quote if you like Porkjet. :P

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Not true, you could use the avionics pack. And further more this is KSP! Let me quote Porkjet: "we know you like to build unorthodox things" (1.1 imgur album, goliath turbofan slide). That should be in a list of "best KSP dev quotes ever"... I can remove that quote if you like Porkjet. :P

That's different though. Attaching Goliath to the back of the plane seems way more useful than adding an avionics pack or the Oscar tank to the front. You can add all of those parts proposed by you without hurting the looks.

The only thing we would gain if the nose cone got removed is bad looks.

That's different though. Attaching Goliath to the back of the plane seems way more useful than adding an avionics pack or the Oscar tank to the front. You can add all of those parts proposed by you without hurting the looks.

The only thing we would gain if the nose cone got removed is bad looks.

How does the avionics pack look bad mounted on the front of a plane?

How does the avionics pack look bad mounted on the front of a plane?

You can clearly see on your (not any IRL) example it doesn't fit well. It's the shape. We would either need the cockpit to be remodelled to fit the Avionics Pack, or the Avionics Pack and the small cone to fit the cockpit.

Oh come on man! You even changed your avatar to support this silly idea!

If you keep it like this I'll have to change mine to "Keep the cone" with the same picture to counter you, because I really don't want that to happen.

You can clearly see on your (not any IRL) example it doesn't fit well. It's the shape. We would either need the cockpit to be remodelled to fit the Avionics Pack, or the Avionics Pack and the small cone to fit the cockpit.

*Part images where ripped from screenshots and pasted in. These are not clear examples of what it would look like! Only concept.

Also, I am no part modeler. Softening the bottom edge wouldn't be too hard to do. The shape of the cockpit could be modified fairly easily to match.

Oh come on man! You even changed your avatar to support this silly idea!

If you keep it like this I'll have to change mine to "Keep the cone" with the same picture to counter you, because I really don't want that to happen.

Sure feel free. If you have your mind set to oppose this suggestion, I guess I can't sway your opinion. ヽ༼ຈلÜຈ༽ノ

Edited by Avera9eJoe

As long as they give us the nose cone, we still don't have one that looks good on a Mk3.

You can use an NCS nose cone. It should fit, hopefully. the guidance thing would fit, too. And for the mk3, the standard old flat one fits pretty well, except its blue. :P

The incorrect scaling on the example pictures was also bugging me, since it made it look ugly and I knew it wasn't right. So I found out what it should really look like.

It should look like this:

gJV55u5.jpg

I like it, actually. It looks pretty good to me this way. It's up to avera9ejoe to give you the other views, though, because I am terrible at editing these things.

You can use an NCS nose cone. It should fit, hopefully. the guidance thing would fit, too. And for the mk3, the standard old flat one fits pretty well, except its blue. :P

The incorrect scaling on the example pictures was also bugging me, since it made it look ugly and I knew it wasn't right. So I found out what it should really look like.

It should look like this:

http://i.imgur.com/gJV55u5.jpg

I like it, actually. It looks pretty good to me this way. It's up to avera9ejoe to give you the other views, though, because I am terrible at editing these things.

But it would look hideous. Mixing the new plane with the old rocket, wouldn't be good. That's the same reason the Aerodynamic Nose Cone looks so awful on Mk3. If they remove the nose, they should just take the part they removed and make a new cone out of it. They could even use it as a texture replacement for the small nose cone part. That would work too.

But it would look hideous. Mixing the new plane with the old rocket, wouldn't be good. That's the same reason the Aerodynamic Nose Cone looks so awful on Mk3. If they remove the nose, they should just take the part they removed and make a new cone out of it. They could even use it as a texture replacement for the small nose cone part. That would work too.

No, not really. Here is the cockpit with the guidance nosecone. All they have to do is recolor it, really.

7noDeJD.jpg

See? The shading is off, and the white needs recoloring (which is not hard, even a texture noob like me can do that, no doubt porkjet can. He might have done it already anyway, to match the new mk1 parts), but that's about it. It looks fine to me. I'm pretty sure the regular cone is exactly in the same situation, since it's exactly the same but without the antennae and camera.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait. This isn't an "old rocket part", it was redone in 1.0! It should match fine with a recolor. In fact, it might not even need a recolor. It might just be the light. It's probably just brighter.

No, not really. Here is the cockpit with the guidance nosecone. All they have to do is recolor it, really.

http://i.imgur.com/7noDeJD.jpg

See? The shading is off, and the white needs recoloring (which is not hard, even a texture noob like me can do that, no doubt porkjet can. He might have done it already anyway, to match the new mk1 parts), but that's about it. It looks fine to me. I'm pretty sure the regular cone is exactly in the same situation, since it's exactly the same but without the antennae and camera.

Another fact on this is that in-game lighting is far different from the lighting in these pictures. Comparing the colors as an example of them looking bad together doesn't really work in this instance. The main reason why I put a notice above each image :P

http://i.imgur.com/7noDeJD.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Wait. This isn't an "old rocket part", it was redone in 1.0! It should match fine with a recolor. In fact, it might not even need a recolor. It might just be the light. It's probably just brighter.

As I said, that looks hideous. It doesn't match the slope of the cockpit for a nice smooth appearance like the original picture. I was actually talking about the small nose cone though. In either case they don't work, they have a sudden change in pitch. It needs to be lengthened and made more gradual to fit this cockpit.

Not only that, I'm pretty sure the new cockpit has a slightly oval nose, not a circular profile as in Avera9eJoe's edit, so either the whole cockpit would need to be reworked to give a rounder look or all the 0.625m parts would need to be oval to suit.

Not only that, I'm pretty sure the new cockpit has a slightly oval nose, not a circular profile as in Avera9eJoe's edit, so either the whole cockpit would need to be reworked to give a rounder look or all the 0.625m parts would need to be oval to suit.

I kinda see what you are saying but I think it is an optical illusion. In either case, the original idea suggests using the avionics hub and small nose cone as is in stock, so I'm going to have to vote no. I wouldn't mind it being in two pieces as long as it looks exactly like the original image when put together.

It probably does :P. I pretty much stole the 0.625 cap texture and pasted it on top of the pictures. I had to move the camera into the correct orientation for each shot and then shrink it until it fit the visible picture. I doubt it would take too much work to un oval-ify it.

Here's another example of what simple lighting can do to part comparison:

ThatGuyWithALongUsername's image:

7noDeJD.jpg

Compared with:

58WuIs9.jpg

All I did was add more shadow.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

The picture with the ncs cone doesn't look like it would in-game, though. To find out, we would need a screenshot of it in-game.

I just did some speedy editing because I was curious as to what the cockpit would look like on an older design of mine. Voila:

http://i.imgur.com/j7iyUYy.png

Hmm...

Avera9ejoe, are you up for this?

- - - Updated - - -

Lol, of course I know that, I'm the one who said it... half a page ago.

Uhhh... :blush:

Well, this is embarrassing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.