what is your favorite size parts to work with?

Garbonzo

what's your favorite rocket part size?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. what's your favorite rocket part size?

I don't think I have a favourite size, I mix and match a lot. In particular for my orbiters I'll often push 2.5m fuel tanks with a 909; I want shorter fatter tanks for a stable craft but the Poodle is just massive overkill for the masses involved. Likewise for smaller craft I'll push a 1.25m tank with a Spark or an Ant. No doubt when I build bigger rockets I'll find myself pairing Mainsails and maybe Skippers with Kerbodyne tanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Mk3 only exists to look like the shuttle, doesn't it? If it didn't exist, there'd be no need to invent it.

Where'd you get this assumption? Sure, it may look like the shuttle, but it's not just used for that in itself. It has cargo bays that fit 2.5m parts and such. People use it all the time.

On topic: Because I overengineer everything, I always use 3.75m parts for 2.5m payloads.

I'll gladly use parts of any diameter, depending on the situation. However, my heart belongs to the 5m parts in SpaceY, which allowed me to build a wonderful Saturn V replica using the stock 3-Kerbal capsule. The center engine in the first and second stages even cuts off near the end of each stage's burn. I love that!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

On topic: Because I overengineer everything, I always use 3.75m parts for 2.5m payloads.

Same here. All the lifters I have in rotation are 3.75m. I use them even for small LKO probes, which is definitely overkill. But I play science mode so I don't care about funds and stuff.

I just find the 3.75m lifters to be more stable and easier to fly. The payload stuff is usually 2.5m, as I believe is most common anyway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.