Removing thermal system altogether

Axelord FTW

So, I am plagued by runaway overheating issues at seemingly random times and originating from semi-random parts.

I've had ships turn white hot out of nowhere and the Stock Bug Fix Modules only alleviated the problem slightly. Some of the mod parts I use seem to be really keen on doing that but even on stock install it still occurs from time to time.

Turning on the thermal info on the responsible parts, I can see the temperature and skin temperature jump up and down wildly by a maybe a hundred kelvins at first but quickly build up heat faster than it sheds again. It quickly climbs to infinite temperature for the whole ship if I let it go for a minute or two.

So, is there a way to remove/disable the thermal system altogether? At no point did I ever suffer from a legitimate overheating explosion (I always overdesign) and I don't see the point in a system that brings me so much trouble.

P.S. Various bug tickets are open concerning this and I've explored most of the workarounds (the SBFM having being the most helpful if not capable of fixing it completely).

P.P.S. I've spent a few days researching the problem. Believe me when I say I've tried pretty much every duct-tape fixes out there.

P.P.P.S.

(it's not my vid but that's pretty much what happens t me.)

Did you try enabling "ignore max temp" on the debug menu (Alt-F12)? It's kind of a duct taping, but better than nothing. I usually have no problems with part temperature, but they do oscillate in a random way sometimes. The thermal system needs much tweaking.

While I do not necessarily condone the route Squad has chosen in the development route of various features, it's not unusual to see the first implementations of features to be buggy and missing the refinement that customer feedback brings*. You see that a lot with, say, Microsoft where the 1.0 version of a new Office application generally sucks and then within one or two releases turns into something quite useful. The whole thermal process adds an exciting challenge to building craft; I'm willing to wait development out and see where we, eventually, will end up.

* Nay-sayers will claim that this is why those kind of features should be introduced when still in Beta, and the 1.0 release should not be rushed. But that's water under the bridge now.

While I do not necessarily condone the route Squad has chosen in the development route of various features, it's not unusual to see the first implementations of features to be buggy and missing the refinement that customer feedback brings*.

Maybe so but in the meantime, you go from a playable buggy game to an unplayable buggy game.

Did you try enabling "ignore max temp" on the debug menu (Alt-F12)? It's kind of a duct taping, but better than nothing. I usually have no problems with part temperature, but they do oscillate in a random way sometimes. The thermal system needs much tweaking.

One problem with that is that solar panels power output is affected by their temperature.

The whole ship gets sun-core hot and is a pain to look at.

You can set the conduction factor way down on the debug menu; it's conduction that leads the runaway process usually.

If your ship is already hot and you want to cool it down, you can turn radiative factor way up, wait some time and turn it back down. Or leave it up, tho I suspect ships close to Kerbol will heat faster this way.

You can set the conduction factor way down on the debug menu; it's conduction that leads the runaway process usually.

If your ship is already hot and you want to cool it down, you can turn radiative factor way up, wait some time and turn it back down. Or leave it up, tho I suspect ships close to Kerbol will heat faster this way.

Those still don't fix the original problem. Some part will still flicker and gather immense amount of heat which will blow up regardless of settings unless I just tick overheating explosions but then I still have a sore white-hot part somewhere on my vessel.

Even with all the options tuned for maximum radiation and least conduction, some part will still reach infinite temperature.

I'd rather just ditch the thermal system altogether if I could. Like I said, never had any overheating explosions, at any point, caused by my actions or bad design and it's just a bother if three hours into a mission some girder or fuel tank decide to give Leibniz the finger and blow up. I can reload, I can always reload, but it's still a huge pain for no gain.

I'd rather just ditch the thermal system altogether if I could. Like I said, never had any overheating explosions, at any point, caused by my actions or bad design and it's just a bother if three hours into a mission some girder or fuel tank decide to give Leibniz the finger and blow up. I can reload, I can always reload, but it's still a huge pain for no gain.

I can certainly relate to that feeling.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.