(1.0.4 Compatible) SSP: Space Shuttle Program (On Hold for Internal Reorganization)

Sampa

Should we split the Shuttle into parts like the CSS?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Should we split the Shuttle into parts like the CSS?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
    • What's CSS?

lol whaaaat. minecraft is a place in ksp you can go to if you install minecraft into the mechjeb directory.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I made some tests on RO, and there are some issues: the tail of the shuttle doesn't have the FAR control, but still show the stock one. The result is that most of the times, if you're able to reach orbit, you loose the tail. In most cases, the wing's spoiler are lost just a few seconds after liftof due to aerodynamic stress. In my opinion, but I can be wrong, this can be due to the small attachment nodes in the VAB. In stock they're ok, buti in RSS thay're too small. If I try to revert to launch, the ET becomes much smaller, probably the stock ones (I don't know the reasons). I think those are easy fixable issues with cfg. By the way, if everything goes well (and sometimes it happen, for unknow reasons) the Orbiter has enough Delta-V for orbit. In orbit probably it will need a little more from OMS, talking about Delta-V, but if I don't want to follow the perfect STS mission profile, I can use SSME for maneuvers. I don't know why, but the RCS thruster doesn't show exhaust in orbit, but they seems to work. For re-enter I have still to find the correct periapsis, but it probably fly well, with a good hand. One last thing I noticed is that the Orbiter has a great pitch and yaw control during ascent, but very low roll authority in high atmosphere. Watching at the SSRW (Semi-Saturable Reaction Wheel), it seems that the Orbiter SAS has two times the pitch and yaw that the roll.

Btw, for RO we can work on it, I can try to look at the patch, for stock, with FAR or not, this great mod is ready... The most flyable STS I ever tried. Well done!!!

EDIT: if you're interested, I can try to create a Real Plume configuration for the STS.

perfect! something to work from.

I will have a coffee and make a start

- - - Updated - - -

any configurations you can make to anything send them through

lol whaaaat. minecraft is a place in ksp you can go to if you install minecraft into the mechjeb directory.

- - - Updated - - -

perfect! something to work from.

I will have a coffee and make a start

- - - Updated - - -

any configurations you can make to anything send them through

I have a request that I think you will like...

……just wondering if there will be a RSS version without RO caz I dont have the courage to try RF.

If there wont be, I think I can write a patch myself , but thats gonna take a long time……

Real Fuel is a pain just the first few seconds, until you realize that if you attach an engine on a empty tank, RF suggest to fill the tank with the correct fuel...

It scared me too the first times.

Edited by Nansuchao

……just wondering if there will be a RSS version without RO caz I dont have the courage to try RF.

If there wont be, I think I can write a patch myself , but thats gonna take a long time……

Getting it to work with RSS without RO is quick work. Follow these steps:

- Change engine and srb thrust and ISP to that of the real world thing.

- Change the mass of all parts to match the real world thing.

- Find out the burn times for SRBs, SSMEs and OMS engines (wiki)

- Go into the game and look at all engine parts and see how much liquid fuel, oxidizer and solid fuel they burn pr. second.

- Multiply the amount of fuel burned pr. second by the burntime of each of the engines.

- Example: the SRBs burn for about 127 seconds. So multiply the amount of "solidFuel" they burn pr. second by 127 seconds. Now do the same for the SSMEs and OMS engines and you should be good to go :)

How about this for a W.I.P. template? I got the idea from RSE.

Green = Done

Orange = In progress/being tested

Red = On the list/known, not yet being worked on, planned

Shuttle Base Pack:

Modeling

Textures

Lighting

Aerodynamics

Other CFG

Canadarm

RO/RSS

Payloads:

Spacelab

ISS

Launch/support vehicles:

Boeing 747-400

Dreamchaser

Atlas

Add to/change accordingly and add to first post. This way everyone knows what the status is and team members know where they can work on.

SO, my to do list its:

More delta v for orbit, de-orbit.

fix ET rescale issue

stop tail and flaps blowing off.

add FAR to tail

add roll torque

and the control surfaces needed more power right?

- - - Updated - - -

Getting it to work with RSS without RO is quick work. Follow these steps:

- Change engine and srb thrust and ISP to that of the real world thing.

- Change the mass of all parts to match the real world thing.

- Find out the burn times for SRBs, SSMEs and OMS engines (wiki)

- Go into the game and look at all engine parts and see how much liquid fuel, oxidizer and solid fuel they burn pr. second.

- Multiply the amount of fuel burned pr. second by the burntime of each of the engines.

- Example: the SRBs burn for about 127 seconds. So multiply the amount of "solidFuel" they burn pr. second by 127 seconds. Now do the same for the SSMEs and OMS engines and you should be good to go :)

anyone keen to make this?

for most people who use CKAN RF is included in the pack. this is the most common used way for people to get RO/RSS right? so we must make the patch to work with this.

unless we have a separate download patch

- - - Updated - - -

How about this for a W.I.P. template? I got the idea from RSE.

Green = Done

Orange = In progress/being tested

Red = On the list/known, not yet being worked on, planned

Shuttle Base Pack:

Modeling

Textures

Lighting

Aerodynamics

Other CFG

Canadarm

RO/RSS

Payloads:

Spacelab

ISS

Launch/support vehicles:

Boeing 747-400

Dreamchaser

Atlas

Add to/change accordingly and add to first post. This way everyone knows what the status is and team members know where they can work on.

YES.

can you be added as a person who can edit first post?

we haven even had my error repport template that I suggested added yet

- - - Updated - - -

and we need priorities list

- - - Updated - - -

and a link to my addons page so they are not posted here, filling up pages

- - - Updated - - -

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/134096-Space-Shuttle-Pack-Addons-page

Yes, in re-enter the spoiler need a little more authority. During my tests they works very well during ascent, due to the rocket power, but need more power during descent. Probably 30 will be enough. I'll make more tests and try to find the perfect balance. This evening (GMT +2), I'll probably send a new report and the Real Plume config.

Priorities should probably be fixing the shuttle itself and then the ISS mod. The ISS was one of the most important payloads and will probably be what makes this mod popular as quite a few people have been looking for a good ISS/ Space station mod.

Well, it was easier than I thought. Here what the STS engines will like with a Real Plume config:

SSME

0L4KqAn.png

SRB

cRuJZNb.png

OMS

4TQiggr.png

Note that to have this work, you need Real Plume (obviously) and Smoke Screen installed. I suggest you to limit the numer of particles in the Smoke Screen GUI to 3000, otherwise you have risk of lag with SRB.

Here's the Dropbox link to the cfg: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lze3ul2561ada3n/AAAgCunBAggLE_ye7tZK35kga?dl=0

Copy the cfg in GameData and enjoy.

P.S. If you don't like something, feel free to ask for changes.