Science and Scientists!

Firstly, sorry if this thread is a repost however, in my defence I could not find an answer after a fair bit of forum trawling.

Anyway, currently don't have access to the game to experiment for myself plus I'm playing career mode and don't want to waste resources. Im also quite new to the game but I'm doing okay.

The question (and context). I'm planning on landing on the mun with a kerbal scientist (first manned landing) however, to keep the weight of the lander down and therefore make for an easier return to the mun orbiter, I am wondering if sending a second lander packed with science parts (which will not return) may be useful? By this I mean land both landers, have the scientist eva to the science lander, gather the data from the science parts, return to other lander, return home. Is this possible without a loss of science points? Can scientists 'harvest' data in this fashion?

Thanks!

P.s I realise having a single lander would probably be more economical and efficient however, I do not have adequate parts unlocked to do this with a high chance of success.

Can't really see the need to make two separate landers. Apart the intrinsic difficulty to land both in the same spot, the small difference in payload would be totally outweighted by the mass of additional required parts (at least a probe core, battery, possibly some solar panel, landing legs, plus propulsion for the science parts lander).

Given that some parts are not required to be lifted in orbit again (landing legs, spent tanks...) I generally have such landers detach the unneeded parts at take off. All science parts can stay landed, so they are connected to the detached stage.

How far along are you on the tech tree?

I agree with the other two posters - a separate lander approach is not necessary, and may complicate your mission more than you'd think (I'm assuming you haven't got RCS parts unlocked at the moment). That said, a Scientist is capable of harvesting science results from sci parts in the manner you describe.

I'll need to find the thread, but there was some good suggestions about how to go about getting through the science grind not too long ago; Geschosskopf (the mighty king of KSP science since 0.21) in particular had a method that would get you most of the way through the tech tree with two to three trips out to Minmus, easily doable with low tech. I'll find it again and post a link when I get an opportunity.

EDIT: Here we go - assuming you're beginning absolutely from square one, go with Streetwind's suggestions for early science here and then transition into Geschosskopf's strategy. These strategies work - I can tell you that from firsthand experience. Only thing I'd add is that you do need to upgrade the Astronaut Complex before going ahead with the last of Streetwind's suggested missions (so EVA is possible).

Edited by capi3101

Building a two stage lander for the mun or minmus is not necessary unless the lander is itself a return vehicle, and ends up making the whole vessel larger than necessary. Adding a second lander, even a light one, also makes the whole vessel larger. That said, I have done both. Both have their relative advantages, but both are less efficient than a single minimal lander.

You could just make the lander heavier by adding all the science parts on it and then necessary fuel to land and return to orbit. As Diomedea said, you don't have to bring everything back up with you, just the the science data that your kebal can pull out of the science parts, meaning you could make a two-stage vehicle for this purpose. I tend to stick with a single stage as they are less complicated and lighter, but either way works. This method results in a bigger lander, which means you need a bigger transfer and return vessel, therefore requiring a larger rocket altogether.

There have been times I've sent probe landers to the surface (mostly dealing with that damned science jr), but I sent multiple probes up on a single launch and landed them at various points around the Mun. This does require landing close to them afterwards, but also allows a smaller manned lander. If you were to send a single probe up you could probably do it on the cheap, but it'd be more economical to send up a few at a time. A single 60k launch is better than 5 25k launches (derp). You'd have to add this cost to your main Mun mission as well and decide if it's worth it for you.

Basically, do whatever you feel like doing, as long as you're having fun doing it.

P.S. - There are many other ways to go about it too, some (most) of which are utterly ridiculous, but again, as long as you enjoy it.

Edited by Randazzo

For an overfueled Mun/minmus lander

- Landing can

- Smallest rockamax tank (the flatest)

- Landing struts

- 1 Terrier

- Add batteries, solar panels/fuel cells/science

- Add some chutes for reentry

You should get above 3000m/s for less than 7 tons. Simply put that lander in LKO, it can go on it's own to Mun or Minmus and return.

It's flat and easy to land. If you don't have access to rockamax tanks, built it taller with 1.25 parts.

Do note that the small instruments (thermometer, barometer and similarly-sized stuff) are easily attached to a capsule and weigh next to nothing, but are sort of pricey. It's worth planning to bring those back with you even if you drop the other science parts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.