Early Career Mode SSTO Attempt (Challenge?)

jondugger123

A story to conclude my night.

So this is my current tech tree:

screenshot68_zps3l3iifa6.png

And this is my space plane, designed with whatever parts I can use. (Mods included are KW Rocketry and Heat Resistant Parts):

screenshot69_zpskx7jj70o.png

Based on my current funds and lack of SPH/Runway upgrades, the following events took place (in chronological order):

screenshot55_zpsnkcebat4.png

screenshot58_zpssyxkhssj.png

screenshot59_zpsh9o5eqg2.png

I brushed against the pathway upon lift off, taking out my rocket engine^^^^

screenshot62_zpsa6qx3lkr.png

Turning around because career mode+no reverts^^^^^

screenshot64_zpsumzgrtvy.png

Tried to screenshot the abort sequence, but you can see things didn't quite work out. ^^^^

I couldn't pass up on how pleased with my design I was. At least I saved Jeb. :cool: Anyone else had any luck with early career space planes? Is it even possible?

EDIT: I meant space planes, not SSTO. Oops.

Edited by jondugger123

Here is a picture of one of my early career SSTOs:

http://i.imgur.com/W3XuNb2.jpg

Very easy to fly and get into orbit.

So to answer your question: Yes, early career SSTOs are easily possible.

Ah, I guess I've misinterpreted SSTO's. I think SSTO and space planes come to mind. My main objective was to get a space plane into orbit, then. :)

Here is my low tech SSTO, horizontal takeoff and landing, without science it has ~400 m/s dV on orbit (can be used as rescue ship). Abort system equipped, in case of water landing or rapid unplanned disassembling.

http://i.imgur.com/CiyqW2nh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/d9voG1xh.jpg

That is definitely thinking outside of the box, had used plenty of rocket SSTO before but they have always been vtol tail landers.

After 1.0 its harder to hit the spaceport

How does it reenter and land?

The confusion mostly comes from the fact that Kerbin's atmosphere (also the gravity does start at 9.81m/s^2 but is reduced more quickly I believe) allows a vertically launched rocket to be an SSTO whereas the only "plausible" (using that term very loosely) design in real life (for Earth at least) is a horizontally launched spacecraft that makes use of the higher efficiency of jet engines.

Jet spaceplanes are really inefficient (read vanishingly difficult) until you have the Whiplash. Even then there's a legitimate argument that rockets are generally less troublesome and perhaps cheaper.

The problem is the Wheesley just doesn't have the performance for carrying rocket motors to speeds and altitudes high enough to make significant fuel savings over a vertical launch. All-rocket spaceplanes are an alternative, but again, you'd probably use less fuel by leaving the wings behind and making a vertical launch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.