A toast to Sepratrons

EliasDanger

Never bothered using them until today, and now I'm in love with them. Strap them to every stage and point them away from your main vessel, have them engage when you decouple....soooooo satisfying to watch your empty boosters and stuff launched the heck away from your ship in an instant. It helps with your last stage to orbit...if you happen to just circularize, it'll send that useless debris back onto a suborbital tragectory. Also your last stage on reentry can safely be decoupled without worry the empty tank and engine won't hurdle back and hit your capsule.

Actually, I kind of do disappoint. Mainsail seperatrons are nice... but...

Give me a few minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok. So here's some 20 Megaton nuclear seperatrons.

F2F0FF10EE144B7DDE19E50254E51CF7E69E2708

Note the structural panels that protect the central column. Because if there's anything that'll protect against a direct nuclear blast, it's sheet metal.

EB7623F18F3B3ADFD11BCCB1C495A30CB524D5A2

Didn't chuck the boosters as far as I thought they would.

Give me a few minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/382035537282190715/F2F0FF10EE144B7DDE19E50254E51CF7E69E2708/

Note the structural panels that protect the central column. Because if there's anything that'll protect against a direct nuclear blast, it's sheet metal.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/382035537282191147/EB7623F18F3B3ADFD11BCCB1C495A30CB524D5A2/

Project orion. I see. I guess that the nukes fell too far before detonation to chuck the boosters very far. What mod is that?

I just put them on a probe bomber for self de orbiting probes, just enough kick to drop them in the atmosphere. Have forever used them to nudge boosters away from my ship. One lander enroute to duna uses them to slow the lander right before touch down. I wish we had a way to automate when they ignite, otherwise I'm stuck reverting until I get that landing down perfect. I know it's not that practical, but man is it a fun landing, to early and they run out and you crash, too late and you crash, but just right gives you a gentle yet exciting landing, plus I'll have my first kerbalnauts on another planet.

Give me a few minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/382035537282190715/F2F0FF10EE144B7DDE19E50254E51CF7E69E2708/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/382035537282191147/EB7623F18F3B3ADFD11BCCB1C495A30CB524D5A2/

Looks like you actually did what I suggested! Yay nukes!

[slightly back on topic]

One of the things I love most about seperatrons, is finding ways to rotate them so that they fling parts off in pretty patterns.

One of the things I love LEAST about seperatrons is how they cause damage when they point at the main craft. I keep saying I'm going to edit them to remove their thrust damage capability, but I always forget. I know, the damage is minimal, but it just uglies up the F3-event-log, especially when I'm looking for actual problems.

[slightly back on topic]

One of the things I love most about seperatrons, is finding ways to rotate them so that they fling parts off in pretty patterns.

One of the things I love LEAST about seperatrons is how they cause damage when they point at the main craft. I keep saying I'm going to edit them to remove their thrust damage capability, but I always forget. I know, the damage is minimal, but it just uglies up the F3-event-log, especially when I'm looking for actual problems.

Just angle them outwards. The thrust is the same but the exhaust plume does not impinge on the upper stage.

Oh no. Whackjob's seperatrons will kill us all!

- - - Updated - - -

Give me a few minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy Crap! That is so awesome.

My favorite thing is using SpaceY seperatrons to launch small probes to escape velocity

Never underestimate the power of the SRB in space. Back when maneuver nodes were rather new, I watched a video of Spootyman use a quad of the Hammers put his ship perfectly into a orbital injection with Jool from the orbit of Kerbin. And this was before you could adjust the fuel capacity of the SRB's. The guy was a wizard with those things, and had a fair amount of fun with sepratrons, as well. Shame he isn't so much into KSP anymore.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.