Why does Walt Kerman wear a hazmat suit?

SemiaCloud

He's got to deal with the hobos on the launchpad when they put RTGs in garbage bins for warmth, too! Don't want that nasty radia-

What? Hazmat suits don't protect you from radiation? Oh...

well they would, they wont protect you from ionizing radiation itself but it will resist radioactive particles such as an rtg exploding or tritium leak

That's kinda funny, but I was expecting a little more of a legitimate answer.

It'e legitimate enough - it's literally what the game says about it :P

You can mouseover/rightclick/do something all of the dudes in the administration building to get a short info blurb on who they are and what they do.

I think it's a joke that PR can get pretty toxic and people (and I assume, Kerbals) can get pretty nasty on social media and stuff.

That and he has to take the flak when things go bad.

It's even funnier when you remember that Squad is an interactive marketing company (with a game studio tucked on).

If anyone knows the potentially toxic environment of PR and Marketing, it's them ;)

I always thought Gus Kerman was a reference to Mercury / Apollo astronaut Gus Grissom and that, "We hope nothing catches fire while he's here," refers to the way he died, in the Apollo 1 fire.

Someone from Squad actually said it was a show reference. When the Gus/Apollo 1 fire connection was pointed out, and some people were rather disturbed, the response was "We didn't notice that. Maybe we should change it." I personally find it rather disrespectful to have it.

If I'm not mistaken, it spurred from Rowsdower, after SQUAD took a lot of complaints and stuff after a release. He mentioned in a devnote that he was "Fighting Fires, and might need to get a hazmat suit" Or something along those lines, and then SQUAD took that and ran with it.

Of course there are other reasons too, but that one's always the funniest to me. :)

well they would, they wont protect you from ionizing radiation itself but it will resist radioactive particles such as an rtg exploding or tritium leak

Nonsense; they'd render you virtually immune to alpha radiation.

Even if it wouldn't altogether stop the other types, you'd still be better of with a suit than without.

Nonsense; they'd render you virtually immune to alpha radiation.

Even if it wouldn't altogether stop the other types, you'd still be better of with a suit than without.

And ironically they got it double wrong. A hazmat suit will not protect you from radiation itself, but it will protect you from inhaling any radioactive materials by accident. Alpha sources, while harmless on the outside of your body, can be quite nasty if you ingest them, beta emitters are definitely a bit of a problem, but assuming you add a millimeter of lead to the suit you should be completely safe from those, the big problem is gamma radiation, which can be dealt with through not being there and using automated equipment, transporting it underwater/behind a hot cell using automated equipment, or (preferably) not having that much of it thus making shielding during short transport times less needed.

Anyway, an RTG is most likely going to use Pu-238, so heat resistant gloves and a hazmat suit would be more than enough to handle Pu-238 pellets similar to the ones used in RTGs.

Anyway, an RTG is most likely going to use Pu-238, so heat resistant gloves and a hazmat suit would be more than enough to handle Pu-238 pellets similar to the ones used in RTGs.

Heat resistance would be a good thing, IMHO. Those pellets can get a bit warm. :)

Radioisotope_thermoelectric_generator_plutonium_pellet.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.