parachutes failing due to "heat and dynamic forces?"

It means that you are opening your parachutes to high/fast and so they just shred due to the force. There are two fixes: make sure you are not travelling more than. 250m/s when opening 'chutes (unless they are drogue parachutes). You can also right click on parachutes to change the pressure and altitude they open. The higher the pressure you set the lower you have to be before they first release. The altitude is the height above the local terrain/sea level that they unreef and open fully.

By default, parachutes are often placed in the wrong stage command in the VAB, so simply hit the + button to add a new stage command and give the chutes their own tap of the space bar.

Looks like safe speed for braking parashutes is 500 km/h, bonus is that they slow you down so much that you can usually wait with opening the main ones.

Learned early that the old tricks of launching straight up does not work in 1.04, you will still hit the ground supersonic so too fast to open parachutes.

If you right click on a parachute, you will get an indicator that will read either 'unsafe' 'risky' (not sure whether this actually means anything significant) or 'safe'. Usually best to wait until it's safe to open the parachutes ;)

From what I've seen, when it says unsafe, they shred immediately upon deployment.

When it says risky, they deploy, and then as the air gets thicker, they shred, or as they fully deploy (like if you set the altitude to 5km, and you are on duna still coming in fast at 5km), they shread.

Unsafe-> instant shred

risky-> won't instantly shred, but may shred depending on your descent profile

Safe-> safe... I've never had them shred after seeing this.

When main chutes say risky, and my drogues are already deployed and about to fully deploy, I figure main chutes are also safe... its not like I'm coming in steep and will encounter thicker air while still at a high speed with the drogues doing their job.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.