[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

I've noticed lately that Mechjeb launch AP no longer throttles back to maintain terminal velocity or a set acceleration. I'm using FAR but it used to work. Is it just me or is this not working in the latest builds?

On build 231 (I will upgrade tonight) I used the rendezvous tool to meet up with a station in low Moho orbit. Both my ship and station were at 35km. Mechjeb sent my ship into the surface, trying to meet up. I don't have a save or anything, I just quick loaded and it was no big deal. Just wanted to make you aware of it. Thanks!

Transfer window changing after a warp is most likely related to precision loss in the calculation and the optimizer finding a better solution later. I'll do a few test to see if it's that and to see if increasing the resolution of some of the calculation helps ( note to self DeltaVAndTimeForHohmannTransfer numDivisions & iter )

You. You are awesome.

Did you change the default number of phasing orbit ?

No I left it at default. Actually, it said something like, it'll take 60 orbits to rendezvous, do you want to change the "something?" I'm sorry, this is off the top of my head and I'm not familiar with the terminology. Anyways, I said yes. Then it created a node that sent me into the planet.

I hope that helps some.

Sarbian (and Duck),

Dev236...

I may have just spotted something in that "lock-up" issue. If I approach the target with the RAP to a distance closer than, say, 75m, the chase ship has trouble setting up its "starting point". If I stay outside that 75m distance-to-target, it doesn't have as much trouble. Perhaps forcing the RAP to not allow the "final distance-to-target" value to be below 75m?

Sideline thought: If the final distance has to be set higher, like 100m, it gets very difficult to see the ports on the target, much less select one. Would it be possible to add a drop-down box in the DAP that lists the available docking ports on the target, highlighting each one whenever the cursor hovers over that entry?

Transfer window changing after a warp is most likely related to precision loss in the calculation and the optimizer finding a better solution later. I'll do a few test to see if it's that and to see if increasing the resolution of some of the calculation helps ( note to self DeltaVAndTimeForHohmannTransfer numDivisions & iter )

Follow up on that. Anatid already fixed it yesterday :D

It's in build #234+

Alright, I've seen a lot of pre-career mode posts about adding the mechjeb module to command pods. How do I add them in now that it's part of the tech tree? I want to be able to use the prop monitor capacity of mechjeb in the ALCOR and KSOS without attaching the mech jeb part to the side of my shuttles and landers :)

Also, I see that mechjeb is now integrated with the toolbar plugin, but it still has the slide out bar on the side. Any way to remove that bar all together and only use the toolbar?

I have a strange problem happening in Mechjeb. All of the different tiers unlocked through career are all set to start with an entry cost of 0 yet I don't actually have access to any of the tools like ascent guidance etc. Has something changed in 23.5 so that we can't force MJ to unlock all abilities in the first tech tree node?

Also to the suggestion of having MJ's sidebar out of view and relying purely on the toolbar is a great idea, that woul get me a fair bit of screen space back on my laptop.

Some things gone weird in my career mode with Mechjeb. I had the first tier of Mechjeb components unlocked, translatron, Delta-V stats, all that good stuff. Today, when I moved up a tier in science from getting a ship back, I unlocked the next level of Mechjeb additions, node planners, etc, but have now lost access to the previous tier of Mechjeb components.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I assumed when you unlocked new science with Mechjeb features in it it was a purely additive process, as in you got the new stuff in addition to what you already had, its certainly the way I remember it working about six months ago.

Any ideas?

I've noticed lately that Mechjeb launch AP no longer throttles back to maintain terminal velocity or a set acceleration. I'm using FAR but it used to work. Is it just me or is this not working in the latest builds?
You use my FAR/MJ compat plugin ? It's not working for now, I need to update it to be compatible with the current FAR.

I have tried with and without it. Currently have it installed...

Sarbian (and Duck),

Sideline thought: If the final distance has to be set higher, like 100m, it gets very difficult to see the ports on the target, much less select one. Would it be possible to add a drop-down box in the DAP that lists the available docking ports on the target, highlighting each one whenever the cursor hovers over that entry?

Targetron, if it's compatible with .23.5, don't recall if it can target specific docking ports but it does help in selecting a target ship that KSP's map view won't allow you to select because it's too close. Once you get aimed the right way with MJ's TGT+ it's easier to select the port.

What would be extremely helpful is if the game or a mod could add a "Set as target of..." option to docking ports so that once you have the ships close enough you could set control to their ports, then command them to accept targeting *from* the other ship instead of having to try and right click a teeny leetle patch of pixels *way over there* to set the port as a target.

Alright, I've seen a lot of pre-career mode posts about adding the mechjeb module to command pods. How do I add them in now that it's part of the tech tree? I want to be able to use the prop monitor capacity of mechjeb in the ALCOR and KSOS without attaching the mech jeb part to the side of my shuttles and landers :)

Adding the MechJeb module to the capsule will only add the most basic tools: MechJeb hides any more advanced MJ tools you haven't actually earned.

Also, I see that mechjeb is now integrated with the toolbar plugin, but it still has the slide out bar on the side. Any way to remove that bar all together and only use the toolbar?

In MechJeb settings, tick the "Hide MechJeb button". You can still add all the other MJ tools to the toolbar.

Install Module Manager then just unzip this and drop it in the mechjeb 2 folder

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/227008324/MechJeb%20MM.zip

Module Manager

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55219

as for the toolbar there is a check box in the MechJeb settings for that

Edited by cheech420now

Also like softweir said more options unlock as you progress up the tech tree. Or you can just delete this from the config.

MechJebLocalSettings {

MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = flightControl }

MechJebModuleSmartASS { unlockTechs = flightControl }

MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }

MechJebModuleNodeEditor { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }

MechJebModuleTranslatron { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }

MechJebModuleWarpHelper { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }

MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }

MechJebModuleThrustWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }

MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }

MechJebModuleRoverWindow { unlockTechs = fieldScience }

MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }

MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }

MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }

MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }

MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }

MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned}

}

Edited by cheech420now

Sarbian (and Duck),

I managed to get some shots of a "lock-up" in 236 with my crew ship and station. The distance is 108 m between the two.

Here's a series taken as the chase craft completes the RAP portion of the mission: Lock-up Issue

ADDENDUM: Even pointing the chase ship directly at the station's docking port, DAP continues backing up instead of moving forward or trying to align itself to the axis of the port.

Now, after at least a minute of pointing at the target, DAP has rotated the ship 90 degrees to that port and is just sitting there, slowly drifting toward the target. It fired the RCS deliberately to get into this perpendicular attitude. I missed getting shots of that because it happened quickly, and I wasn't expecting it. When I toggled the DAP offline and checked the target port, I noticed that it had unset the target port on its own. When I selected the target port again, then re-engaged the DAP, it aligned itself to the port and is now closing the gap for a docking.

Edited by BARCLONE

I don't think this works correctly: https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/commit/02111c3a7621e146021e9f81eec8ec82be26de41. Updated from 233 to 236 and Maneuver planner -> Create an execute to do an orbit transfer from Kerbin to the Mun doesn't put it nowhere near the Mun anymore.

Works for me. Try scheduling a fine tuning after your initial transfer burn.

I don't think this works correctly: https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/commit/02111c3a7621e146021e9f81eec8ec82be26de41. Updated from 233 to 236 and Maneuver planner -> Create an execute to do an orbit transfer from Kerbin to the Mun doesn't put it nowhere near the Mun anymore.

Well, it works in tests on my end. If you see this again can you post again with the periapsis, apoapsis, and inclination of your initial orbit around Kerbin?

I'm on #236 and for some reason MJ has gotten pretty cavalier about overshooting burns badly, is my TWR crazy high for space? yeah, it's 2.49, but it doesn't matter if I limit acceleration to 5m/s etc, MJ still doesn't care about overshooting burns, it doesn't start lowing thrust until a split second before the burn is done, making it overshoot several m/s

The PID for attitude adjustment is also pretty weird, it's going full tilt towards the direction you set until it gets there, then it tries to stop, net result is a lot of oscillation back and forth, doesn't matter what I do in the 'tude settings 0.3, 0.8, autotune, stock SAS etc my rockets wobble around horribly, in small and simple designs I can ride it out but in larger and more fragile rockets I can't rely on MJ anymore, I need to use stock SAS to stop it wobbling around.