[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

I think I found the error

Does this help in any way?

F:\Games\SteamGames\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\Plugins\MechJeb2.dll

You have an old MJ in the old plugin directory. You should not have anything in KSP/Plugins and KSP/Parts since .19 !

Hello there! :)

When using MechJeb's Landing Autopilot there is an issue when you need to stage during landing.

What happens is that it seems like MechJeb does not update the change of Vessel mass and ÃŽâ€V at all or improperly when you drop stages during landing. Resulting in your craft just smashing into the ground. A "workaround" is that you Abort and Restart the Landing Autopilot after staging.

I wonder if it is just me, because I literally cannot find any other threads / posts about that?

F:\Games\SteamGames\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\Plugins\MechJeb2.dll

You have an old MJ in the old plugin directory. You should not have anything in KSP/Plugins and KSP/Parts since .19 !

Thank you thank you thank you!!! It's working now!! Finally! Thank You! :D

I wonder if it is just me, because I literally cannot find any other threads / posts about that?

Its not only you. But it seems one has to live with the shortcomings of mechjeb autopilot, since there is no noticeable development going on around the autopiloting module beyond lesser bugfixes. With time one learns more and more about the finer art of landings anyway, so maybe its by choice that the autoland module is as non perfect as it is :)

Edited by smart013

Its not only you. But it seems one has to live with the shortcomings of mechjeb autopilot, since there is no noticeable development going on around the autopiloting module beyond lesser bugfixes. With time one learns more and more about the finer art of landings anyway, so maybe its by choice that the autoland module is as non perfect as it is :)

I think you're confusing the spaceplane autopilot with the landing guidance module. While the spaceplane AP does not get much attention, the landing guidance AP is worked on quite often.

Sarbian and Duck,

I've made some additional observations concerning the dV stats screen problem:

1. If I have the dV stats open at the time of staging, the stats freeze.
  2. If the stats are off at staging, I can open them right after staging and the dV numbers keep updating.
  3. If the stats are open before staging and I close them, then wait until after staging to reopen the screen, the numbers get refreshed.

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of an issue with mechjeb and modulemanager: if modulemanager is installed then the AR202/pods won't attach, however the menu appears. When I delete the part, the menu disappears as normal, but I cannot save, load, exit or launch, forcing me to quit the program. MechJeb works fine without MM however.

Kerbal Space Program - 0.24.2.559 (OSXPlayer) Steam

CPU: Intel® Core i7-3667U CPU @ 2.00GHz (4)

RAM: 8192

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000 OpenGL Engine (1024MB)

SM: 30 (OpenGL 2.1 [2.1 INTEL-8.26.34])

RT Formats: ARGB32, Depth, ARGBHalf, RGB565, ARGB4444, ARGB1555, Default, DefaultHDR, ARGBFloat, RGFloat, RGHalf, RFloat, RHalf, R8

Mod DLLs found:

Assembly-CSharp v1.0.0.0

ModuleManager.2.2.1 v2.2.1.0

AviationLights v0.0.0.0

MechJeb2 v2.3.0.0

RasterPropMonitor v0.17.0.0

MechJebRPM v0.17.0.0

KSPAPIExtensions v1.7.0.0

ProceduralFairings v0.0.0.0

RealChute v1.2.5331.297

SCANsat v1.0.5100.32015

Scale v1.37.0.0

Scale_Redist v1.0.0.0

VesselView v1.0.0.0

VesselViewRPM v1.0.0.0

Non-DLL mods added:

Mods by directory (subdirs of GameData):

ASET

B9_Aerospace

JSI

KWRocketry

NASAmission

Squad

TweakScale

[LOG 13:43:16.259] ------------------- initializing editor mode... ------------------[LOG 13:43:16.259] editor started

[LOG 13:43:16.300] Untitled Space Craft - Untitled Space Craft

[LOG 13:43:16.703] [KAE] Registering field prefabs for version 1.7.0.0 (latest)

[LOG 13:43:16.706] [VersionTaggedType] found KSPAPIExtensions.UIPartActionFloatEdit_1_7_0_0 for KSPAPIExtensions.UIPartActionFloatEdit

[LOG 13:43:16.707] [VersionTaggedType] found KSPAPIExtensions.UIPartActionFloatEdit_1_7_0_0 for KSPAPIExtensions.UIPartActionFloatEdit

[LOG 13:43:16.715] [VersionTaggedType] found KSPAPIExtensions.UIPartActionChooseOption_1_7_0_0 for KSPAPIExtensions.UIPartActionChooseOption

[LOG 13:43:16.717] [VersionTaggedType] found KSPAPIExtensions.UIPartActionChooseOption_1_7_0_0 for KSPAPIExtensions.UIPartActionChooseOption

[LOG 13:43:16.722] [VersionTaggedType] found KSPAPIExtensions.UIPartActionLabelImproved_1_7_0_0 for KSPAPIExtensions.UIPartActionLabelImproved

[LOG 13:43:16.725] [VersionTaggedType] found KSPAPIExtensions.UIPartActionResourceEditorImproved_1_7_0_0 for KSPAPIExtensions.UIPartActionResourceEditorImproved

[ERR 13:43:33.882] [shipConstruct]: Trying to load Space Station Core - No AvailablePart found for crewCabin

[EXC 13:43:44.420] InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object

[LOG 13:43:45.601] mumech.MJ2.AR202(Clone) added to ship - part count: 2

[LOG 13:43:45.608] stage count is: 0

[EXC 13:43:45.615] InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object

[LOG 13:43:48.332] deleting part mumech.MJ2.AR202(Clone)

Thanks in advance!

Upload the full debug log somewhere.

Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt for 32bit or KSP_win\KSP_Data_x64\output_log.txt for 64bit

Mac OSX: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log Aka Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log

Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log

So help.....heh. I seem to need to help mechjeb a lot on take-off to keep my nose pointed the right way. Also the docking doesn't seem to work for me, it sits there approaching start point at 0.0m/s and if I turn docking on the other ship they spin around at high speed unless I correct the roll. So am I missing? Need more SAS or RCS?? Thanks

I require assistance, today I was almost done building my Space Station, I use MechJeb for most of the heavy weight payloads (solar arrays and docking ports) but after setting the orbit altitude and inclination when the countdown arrived to 0 the ship did not acted as it normally does, this time after taking off it almost fell back to the launch pad and when it was about to arrived at desired orbit it kept burning. (desired orbit was 135km for doing orbital maneuvers and it stopped burning at 141km and ended up circularizing at 142km) Thankfully that's my only issue, my KSP version is Mac .24.2.559. Help would be appreciated.

MechJeb is still doing the hula dance. Log http://www./download/17guy7jhe6sv8mu/output_log.rar

I deleted the log, ran KSP then loaded and launched the lander. Then I used hyperedit to move it to a 20KM Mun orbit. Next I landed with Landing Guidance. The problem came (as usual) with Ascent Guidance.

It did a perfect launch and circularization, then instead of disengaging it twisted around to aim the engines at Mun, set throttle just above off and sat there gently wobbling around while slowly gaining altitude.

I went back at least 10 pages to check and didn't see what I was looking for. It's been a while since I looked this thread so bear with me if it's already been mentioned. When I add buttons to the Toolbar in career mode it lets me use everything even if I haven't unlocked them yet. I mean day 1 and first launch I could have every function available on Mechjeb if I put them on the toolbar.

Not really a problem for me but something that might be of interest to fix or exploit.

I went back at least 10 pages to check and didn't see what I was looking for. It's been a while since I looked this thread so bear with me if it's already been mentioned. When I add buttons to the Toolbar in career mode it lets me use everything even if I haven't unlocked them yet. I mean day 1 and first launch I could have every function available on Mechjeb if I put them on the toolbar.

Not really a problem for me but something that might be of interest to fix or exploit.

Hah. Nice find. Verified, happens for me too if you add the buttons to the toolbar.

So help.....heh. I seem to need to help mechjeb a lot on take-off to keep my nose pointed the right way. Also the docking doesn't seem to work for me, it sits there approaching start point at 0.0m/s and if I turn docking on the other ship they spin around at high speed unless I correct the roll. So am I missing? Need more SAS or RCS?? Thanks

I haven't had any MAJOR trouble with the ascent autopilot - it sometimes overshoots the circularization burn, so I always keep an eye on that part of the launch... but otherwise, it does great. Things to watch out for - you must have 'control from here' set to a part that points towards the sky... if you're putting together a rocket that includes docking ports, probe cores, landers, etc. that face some direction other than 'rocket up' you need to verify before launch that the controls are being referenced from something that points the right way. You can tell easily by looking at the navball - if it's all sky before you launch, you're ready to go. If you see half ground or all ground, you need to right click a reaction wheel, docking port, or command pod that points the right way until you see all sky. If you don't, the autopilot will helpfully pitch you right over into the ground. Otherwise, if the rocket flies well - as in the loads are mostly straight over the centerline and there's not excessive wobble in between stages then mechjeb can launch it just fine. Does any of that help with your issue? Have you tried launching the rocket manually? Do you have any trouble controlling it at a certain point in flight?

The docking autopilot frequently makes strange decisions- the only situational awareness it's got comes from looking at the math... so it doesn't see things the same way a human does. With two small ships that have well layed out RCS thrusters, it will do just fine. If you're trying to do anything more complicated... it has to make guesses about what is where based on the vessel size and such... so it will assign a far-off starting point and safe distance... and even when it doesn't get confused it can waste a lot of rcs fuel getting lined up the way it wants to. Here's a better way to dock with mechjeb -

1. On the less maneuverable vessel, you can select 'control from here' at the docking port you want to use, set the docking port on the OTHER vessel as the target, and then turn on Smart A.S.S. and select "Target +". This will make the vessel you're going to dock to point their docking port at you. You don't have to do this step, if it's a big station or something that doesn't like to rotate - but then you have to work a LITTLE harder because you have to get lined up yourself.

2. Switch back to the more maneuverable vessel. Target the docking port you're headed for. Select 'control from here' for the docking port on your vessel. Turn on Smart A.S.S. and select 'Parallel Minus.'

3. Now one vessel is keeping the ports parallel and the other vessel is keeping them facing at each other. Switch the navball to target mode, if it isn't already. Use the "H" key to get a little forward velocity towards the target, then use "IJKL" to put the yellow 'relative velocity plus' navball bug right in the middle of the pink navball 'target' circle. If you keep the yellow bug in the pink circle and keep moving forward at a reasonable rate- docking complete.

[suggestion][Request]

Can you please add a per-stage 'Empty Mass' field somewhere?

Currently the only 'Empty Mass" field I see is on the vessel-info, and it's for the whole vessel. I think a per-stage version would be very useful for various calculations, including but not limited to setting up parachutes for the safe recovery of spent stages; Be it by pure fantasy or with actual importance by using mods such as the aptly named "Stage Recovery" mod.

I guess this would be most appropriate in the "Delta-V Stats" window, since it already has the framework for "per-stage stuff" set up...But if you think that window is already cluttered, anywhere is fine, as long as it's there...

Edited by AlmightyR

Does this happen with all MechJeb parts or only ones that you added MechJeb to? For instance, if you have a MM config that adds MechJeb to your command pods, have you checked to see if it only happens to those or does it also happens with the AR202 part? And have you literally verified that every single function is available when it shouldn't be? (for instance, some MJ modules might have partial functionality but require multiple unlocked. The Ascent Autopilot can fly your plane but requires the Translatron to be unlocked or it will not control the throttle)

Why does it cut the throttle when coming close to collision when using SASS TGT+? I was attempting to hit a target with my new "Long Lance" kinetic kill vehicle that uses Vernors for steering instead of RCS and at the last instant before potential impact it'd cut throttle to zero and *whiff* a miss. So I manually put the throttle back to full as it turned around and another miss because it cut the throttle.

I don't want it to do that with the throttle.

After deorbiting the KKV I turned to its orbital insertion/maneuvering stage about 1.6KM away and it managed to strike the target but without anything hard to hit with it just exploded without damaging the target.

Every time I use Mechjeb it closes all my solar panels when warping. I can't for the life of me figure out why it would do that. And it's only when using Mechjeb and warping far distances outside of Kerbin SOI

Edited by weeble

Every time I use Mechjeb it closes all my solar panels when warping. I can't for the life of me figure out why it would do that. And it's only when using Mechjeb and warping far distances outside of Kerbin SOI

Are those stock solar panels? or part of some mod?

It doesn't do that to me.

I have never EVER in a year of using KSP / MJ2 seen it close solar panels.

I don't believe Mechjeb is responsible for what's happening to you.

@MechJec maintainers

I have been looking through the MechJeb code in a effort to understand why the "Delta-v needed:" and "Time to land:" fields in the landing guidance report unrealistic values when no parachutes are available or "Deploy Parachutes" is deselected. In MechJebModuleLandingPredictions.cs StartSimulation(), the code for determining dragMassExcludingUsedParachutes appears to fail to accommodate parts that contain more than one ModuleParachute.

// Is this part a parachute?
foreach (PartModule pm in p.Modules)
{
if (!pm.isEnabled) continue;

if (pm is ModuleParachute)
{
ModuleParachute chute = (ModuleParachute)pm;
partIsParachute = true;
// This is a parachute, but is it one that will be used in the landing / rentry simulation?
if (deployChutes && p.inverseStage >= limitChutesStage)
{
// This chute will be used in the simualtion. Add it to the list of useage parachutes.
usableChutes.Add(new SimulatedParachute(chute, patch.StartUT));
}
else
{
partDrag = p.maximum_drag;
}
}
}

if (false == partIsParachute)
{
// Part is not a parachute. Just use its drag value.
}

If the part contains more than one ModuleParachute and the part is not going to be used in the simulation, the else clause will be executed once for each ModuleParachute and add the part's drag to the accumulated total multiple times. It appears to me that the code would be more robust if the partIsParachute was used to identify parts that have been added to the usableChutes list and parachutes that are not added be treated as "not a parachute". i.e.,

// Is this part a parachute?
foreach (PartModule pm in p.Modules)
{
if (!pm.isEnabled) continue;

if (pm is ModuleParachute)
{
ModuleParachute chute = (ModuleParachute)pm;
// This is a parachute, but is it one that will be used in the landing / rentry simulation?
if (deployChutes && p.inverseStage >= limitChutesStage)
{
// This chute will be used in the simualtion. Add it to the list of useage parachutes.
usableChutes.Add(new SimulatedParachute(chute, patch.StartUT));
partIsParachute = true;
}
}
}

if (false == partIsParachute)
{
// Part is not a used parachute. Just use its drag value.
}

skips

Does this happen with all MechJeb parts or only ones that you added MechJeb to? For instance, if you have a MM config that adds MechJeb to your command pods, have you checked to see if it only happens to those or does it also happens with the AR202 part? And have you literally verified that every single function is available when it shouldn't be? (for instance, some MJ modules might have partial functionality but require multiple unlocked. The Ascent Autopilot can fly your plane but requires the Translatron to be unlocked or it will not control the throttle)

I only added one thing with mechjeb and that was after I found this bug. As far as I can tell everything is available if you put them in the toolbar from day 1.