[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Okay, can people tell me if this is a bug or something I'm doing wrong. I have the latest version of mechjeb. I've set up a craft; Engine, Fuel tank, Pod, Parachute. The parachute is stage 0, the rest stage 1. (There's also landing gear. The parachute is a sort of 'panic button' I've allowed myself.)

But if I use the 'ascent' autopilot like this, there's a really terrible mechanical 'clicking' sound, and without warning it engages the parachute within seconds of liftoff.

If I put a decoupler between the parachute and the fuel tank (above or below the pod does not matter) it doesn't do this. Anyone know what's going on?

I see people attaching retro boosters and landing legs to mechjebs pods. I have one very simple question: HOW? They only have one anchor point, cannot be attached to the sides and the fuel pod, if you want to use that never attaches properly.

Mjeb 1.9.3 seems to be working fine, BUT there`s one oddity I noticed - compared to 1.9.2, AN\DN timing seems to be broken in some (?) cases - for example it shows me nearly identical timing when transfering to Eve, and both are wrong compared to the point I eyeballed on map.

ajrmug.jpg

here the ship is near a node, but numbers are way off.

einnt0.jpg

For me the ascent autopilot is completely broken. As soon as it lifts off it starts turning towards Kerbin and crashes. I tried with 1.9.2 with the same rocket and it works just fine. All different rockets I tried crashed too.

A restart of the game fixed that. Sorry for any confusion.

What formula is used for relative inclination? It seems to me that it's only

incA - incB

because I've seen the relative inclination is 0 whenever the two orbits have the same inclination, even if they have a different LAN

the formula should be

<span style="font-family:monospace"><span style="font-style:italic;">rinc</span>° = arccos( -cos( À/2 - <span style="font-style:italic;">incB</span> ) * cos( <span style="font-style:italic;">incA</span> ) + sin( À/2 - <span style="font-style:italic;">incB</span> ) * sin( <span style="font-style:italic;">incA</span> ) * cos( <span style="font-style:italic;">lanB</span> - <span style="font-style:italic;">lanA</span> ) ) * 180/À</span>

(all angles are inputed in radians)

For example, if orbit A has an inclination of 45º, and a longitude of the ascending node (LAN) of 0º,

and orbit B has an inclination of 45º and a LAN of 45º, the relative inclination should be about 31.399º

8oHEG.png?1

autothrottle appears to be broken in 1.9.3

even if I throttle up before engaging, mechjeb fails to circularize properly and I end up in a kerbin escape trajectory

I haven't tested any of the orbital maneuver stuff to see if the throttle problem exists there.

I am running the new remotetech, isa map, and protractor plugins and I haven't started eliminating conflicts to see if there is an issue.

I also think the RAD+ and RAD- buttons are iffy.

My guess is they don't point inward/outward from the center of, say, Kerban. They point from the center of the orbital circle, not the body itself. This fine if you have a circular orbit, but elliptical orbits are different. This can also REALLY mess up Smart A.S.S. landings.

EDIT: Just figured out I mean need to update my MechJeb.

Brb. Checking the version.

Edited by Rabblerouser

I've been having problems with MechJeb when I launch MechJeb destroys my rocket upon the first stage separation around 10,000M I've played around and launch after launch it rips it apart or destroys boosters.

When I have manual control my rocket is fine.

I'm fairly sure that is correct behavior, since rad is for radial alignment. If you want to hold an orientation relative to the body you are orbiting, you could use the surface button. A heading and pitch of 90 should point you directly away from the object's surface.

I've been having problems with MechJeb when I launch MechJeb destroys my rocket upon the first stage separation around 10,000M I've played around and launch after launch it rips it apart or destroys boosters.

When I have manual control my rocket is fine.

Disable automatic staging, or try increasing the wait time.

I see people attaching retro boosters and landing legs to mechjebs pods. I have one very simple question: HOW? They only have one anchor point, cannot be attached to the sides and the fuel pod, if you want to use that never attaches properly.

Just a tiny bump. Sorry :(

For those having trouble landing at target, after MechJeb says Safe to warp, just switch to the Land button instead of Land at Target.

I tried that yesterday. I landed succesfully on Mun (HURRAY!), however, not even near the intended position. About 26km's off.

Do you know of a way to make this distance smaller? Or is it just a matter of timing and a lot of trial and error?

Nice job on 1.9.3 - things working well for me, the TGT+ fix really makes me happy.

I only have one issue (which was there in previous versions); it can get a bit laggy in some situations. During launch (of large rockets, 300+ parts) with accent autopilot it can be quite laggy but the same rocket will launch manually with a much better fps. What I've noticed is that it lags when the rocket is perfectly on course, if I knock it a bit off course then instantly the fps goes back up. The same thing happens with proGrad/retroGrad when the craft is exactly on course (ie steering error of <= 0.1), the fps can suddenly drop to about 3-4fps, the second I switch proGrad off the fps goes back up (switching SAS on when aligned prograd does not cause fps drop). Its much more evident on larger rockets, but I've had it with some smaller ones too. Maybe divide by 0 going on somewhere or a rounding error? (sorry if this has already been reported, couldn't see it mentioned in the last few pages)

One bug I've noticed, if you abort when time warping it can bring you down from 100k to 1 speed rather sharply, which can cause the space chuthulu to strike, something that doesn't happen when speed decreases slowly, is it possible to fix this..?

This (I think) is a gAme glitch not a mechjeb glitch, and should be fixed in 0.17.1

Yes. You just get into sun orbit and the options will be there (where Mun & Minmus were).

I just get into orbit, then when I'm on the dark side of Kerbin I go max throttle until my orbit gets past Minmus and then turns yellow indicatin sun orbit. I then warp until the yellow line turns blue. The planets will show up under the transfer button. Once transfered to the planet orbit, the moons for that planet will show up under the transfer button.

The transfer button will only show the things in the orbit the ship is in....when in Kerbin orbit it will show Mun and Minmus, when in sun orbit it will show all the planets, when in Duna orbit it will show Ike...etc.

The best way for me to get to the inner planets of Eve and Moho is to retro burn from sun orbit to an orbit between the Sun and the planet I want to go to.... it seems Mechjeb finds planets further out much easier than finding planets going closer to the sun from MechJeb's orbit......(I'm not sure this sentence made sence, but I hope you know what I mean).