[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

If everybody linked up their addons, we could have a one-stop-shop flight computer for KSP. To do anything. *giddy*

I kind of said something similar to this in this suggestion- http://idea.ksp.mumech.com/?ia=57586

Basically it would allow programmers to create their own ComputerModules, aka the things on the main mechjeb panel (the things like orbital information, landing autopilot, etc).

Thanks to Mechjeb, I managed to orbit and map all planets and moons.... Except for Moho...

Are there ways to get to Moho with Mechjeb, or does it have to be Trial & Error at infinitum?

Get to a circular orbit at zero inclination well inside of Moho's orbit, and then use the standard ORBITAL OPERATIONS >> TRANS >> MOHO method and it'll work. A pretty big waste of delta-V though. Not optimal. Alternatively, you can use the phase angle (and calculator) to manually do an inter-planetary injection burn. Just be aware that you'll have to use SMART A.S.S. NRML+ and NRML- to adjust your orbital inclination to match at the moment that it crosses the ecliptic.

Is there any way to integrate the whole orbit-to-orbit transfer injection into MechJeb's autopilot, rather than just a list of phase angles? That would make so much more possible.

It's there. You can only transfer to things that orbit the same body as you. If you're in orbit around Kerbin, then obviously Duna won't show up in your TRANS screen because Duna doesn't orbit Kerbin. If you leave Kerbin orbit and orbit Kerbol (the star), then Duna and the other planets will show up. Again, you can only transfer to bodies that orbit the body you're orbiting.

For right now, MechJeb doesn't seem to support transfer to interior orbital bodies.

Love the mod, I would be lost without it. Is there a way to disable warping during a transfer because I'm better at managing the warp speed. MJ was just finishing the burn to get an intercept with the Mun, when it decided to increase warp to a number with lots of 0's and I ended up missing the target. It has happened twice now without me doing anything. I tried searching this thread for keywords to see if anybody has already posted anything about it but I had no luck finding anything.

I am having problems with mechjeb 1.9.3 on version .17 of KSP. When I go to my assembly building it says this part is not available in this version of KSP. I have installed the enitre package including parts and plugin and it won't work, not even mechjeb that I put on some of my rockets in 1.9.1 version .16 of KSP old will work please help.

Can someone help me with this problem?

I am having problems with mechjeb 1.9.3 on version .17 of KSP. When I go to my assembly building it says this part is not available in this version of KSP. I have installed the enitre package including parts and plugin and it won't work, not even mechjeb that I put on some of my rockets in 1.9.1 version .16 of KSP old will work please help.

Can someone help me with this problem?

Get to a circular orbit at zero inclination well inside of Moho's orbit, and then use the standard ORBITAL OPERATIONS >> TRANS >> MOHO method and it'll work. A pretty big waste of delta-V though. Not optimal. Alternatively, you can use the phase angle (and calculator) to manually do an inter-planetary injection burn. Just be aware that you'll have to use SMART A.S.S. NRML+ and NRML- to adjust your orbital inclination to match at the moment that it crosses the ecliptic.

delta-V is not an issue. Gotta love them ion engines :)

Thanks. I'll try that (again).

I've been having a problem recently where no matter what altitude above Minmus I am, it refuses to "Land at target". It spins around it for days at a time then says it's not in position.

have you tried to force yourself out of orbit then try target land? also what altitudes?

what happens if u just hit land?

The landing functionality seems to be playing up for me.

I attempted a landing on the Mun with ample fuel - actually it was probably enough fuel (and thrust) to get out of Kerbin's orbit and head to Duna, but whatever -, approached as normal from a 100km orbit around Kerbin, reached "Mun encounter", and then warped in a little to make sure the course correction didn't set the ship out of orbit. I then hit "Land at Target" with the default values of 0, 0, 0 where my Munbase is, the course was corrected and descent continued. About a minute later my rather sizeable spaceship hit the Mun at just under 300m/s taking out most of Munbase.

Is this a problem due to Land at Target again, or something to do with MJ not being able to get the true altitude. Landing appears to work perfectly where the ground level is close to sea level, such as at the bottom of a large crater.

EDIT: This wasn't taking the ship from out of orbit around the Mun, but instead setting a target periapsis of -156km. Easy landing in previous versions without all the messing about with retro burning to get in line with the Mun.

EDIT 2: It's definitely Land on Target. I tried for Duna with LoT enabled at whatever random coordinates I set and it didn't appear to be slowing down on approach. As soon as I switched to simply "Land", the engines were set to full throttle. Crashed into the planet.

Edited by EpsilonSigma

how do i return from duna or any other planet expect minmus and mun back to kerbin with mech jeb and unlimited fuel?

Leave the other planet's SoI like you did for Kerbin, then press TRANS to Kerbin or, if youre coming from Jool or Duna, make sure youre at a lower altitude than your target planet, then TRANS. After that, once youre in Kerbin's SoI, circularize, then land.. Hope that makes sense, its what i did for my returns..

EpsilonSigma,

When I land using "Land on target", I will get very close to where I want to land and switch to "Land" with enough time for Mechjeb to safely land. "Land on target" sometimes works fine, but crashes too often to trust it.

The landing functionality seems to be playing up for me.

I attempted a landing on the Mun with ample fuel - actually it was probably enough fuel (and thrust) to get out of Kerbin's orbit and head to Duna, but whatever -, approached as normal from a 100km orbit around Kerbin, reached "Mun encounter", and then warped in a little to make sure the course correction didn't set the ship out of orbit. I then hit "Land at Target" with the default values of 0, 0, 0 where my Munbase is, the course was corrected and descent continued. About a minute later my rather sizeable spaceship hit the Mun at just under 300m/s taking out most of Munbase.

Is this a problem due to Land at Target again, or something to do with MJ not being able to get the true altitude. Landing appears to work perfectly where the ground level is close to sea level, such as at the bottom of a large crater.

EDIT: This wasn't taking the ship from out of orbit around the Mun, but instead setting a target periapsis of -156km. Easy landing in previous versions without all the messing about with retro burning to get in line with the Mun.

EDIT 2: It's definitely Land on Target. I tried for Duna with LoT enabled at whatever random coordinates I set and it didn't appear to be slowing down on approach. As soon as I switched to simply "Land", the engines were set to full throttle. Crashed into the planet.

Well, it's a good idea to test LoT with just the planet that currently causes the most problems with it :P

Mmeaning that no one managed to get LoT to successfully land something on Duna yet. Guess for Duna and other problem planets the way would be to let it course correct and then press Land at the right time, though you'd probably need a few tries and experience to judge that point correct.

I'm not sure though if it would have helped your mun landing if you would've been in an somewhat circular orbit instead of a bypass course, as I understood it, cause LoT does deorbit burns to correctly land as it tries to avoid unneccessary thrusting and I'm not sure it can handle other approaches good.

Maybe try it again and this time circulize before you hit LoT, dunno.

On the other hand does it sound like the approach was already good so I don't know what could've been wrong, did you maybe use warp while descending? I recently got the feeling that it won't stop warp on it's own anymore, no idea if that's the case though.

Is it possible to add a field to the ascent autopilot that lets you set a limit for maximum gee-load encountered? e.g. you put in 4.5 in a field, and during the ascent, MechJeb automatically throttles the engines to stay just a little bit under 4.5 gees. If there's nothing entered in max-g field, it would revert to the current default settings for engine throttling.

i'm having the same issue and i've been a long time user of mechjeb and never had this problem before any idea how to fix the this part is not available?

assuming the plugin is installed correctly, did you guys tried to delete the mesh folders and restart KSP? sometimes it helps...

Ok... I noticed that after an extended EVA, or time in the DEMV, when I get into the return ship, MechJeb just simply is not there anymore. Whichever MechJeb component I used is still on the craft, it just isn't functional. The only time I've noticed this is when I'm using a crew tank, but I'm thinking it'd do the same with any other craft.

Is there a workaround, or am I the only one this has happened to?

Well, it's a good idea to test LoT with just the planet that currently causes the most problems with it :P

Mmeaning that no one managed to get LoT to successfully land something on Duna yet. Guess for Duna and other problem planets the way would be to let it course correct and then press Land at the right time, though you'd probably need a few tries and experience to judge that point correct.

I used LoT on Duna the other day all the way in no problem. It looks a little different at the end than on Kerbin as it turns the ship extra just before touchdown to cancel the horizontal velocity. Actually, the first time I attempted this on Duna it was with a much too long ship with no legs or RCS, and it couldn't rotate the ship fast enough and crashed at low speed, stranding the Kerbonaut. The rescue ship was better designed and used LoT to land very close to the first ship. I turned on RCS to help it out in the final stage, a few tens of meters up.

I managed to, somehow, lose the smartSAS system tab thing. there is the box where I can toggle the SAS system, but I cannot see the SAS on the screen. I think I may have placed it somewhere, or my installed mods broke Mechjeb. I hope that is not what happened....

Anyway, Help please!!!

the 'Mechanical Jeb - Pod version - Decoupler' part wont attach. i am trying to make a craft with the ball shaped mech jeb pod, but it looked weird, so i went to use the pod holder decoupler, but one of the green attach points wont work, so i either cant attach it to the pod, or i cant attach anything underneath it. ive tried flipping it around and a bunch of other things, but it wont work. anyone know whats wrong?