[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

So I have 1.9.8 and I've been using it for a bit now, but I want to upgrade to 2.0.7, which I did and I instaled it, but it doesn't load the GUI, I uninstalled 1.9.8, same thing, I checked the mechjeb2 folder in plugindata and it's empty, am I missing something?

[Edit]and if I am is there somewhere where I can get what I'm missing, or do I need to add a line of text? I'm sorry if my question has already been answered or is rather vague, I'm afraid it's a bit late where I am and I haven't exactly had the time to trawl through 98 pages...

Edited by Testamentof

you cant use the same boxes that mount on your ship. you have to change those to the enclosed AR202 case that's in the parts folder of the 207 zip file or change the part cfg of your old parts to use the new module.

My apologies if this has been suggested before but it would be nice to be able to pick target by a list like you do through the tracking station. Sometimes I have debris on the same orbit and close proximity to my target craft that I can't pick it from the orbital map. I can click a million times and keep picking up the wrong thing.

There's an add-on called Haystack that provides a tab in the map screen to pick/select targets (and filter by type) -- it works fantastically well and is very simple. I'm not sure if it got lost in the Great Forum Purge of 2013, though....

Small notes on 2.0.7:

-- Docking autopilot has worked so far for me.

-- Don't know if this is planned, but the status line in the ascent autopilot (the line of text that says what's going on -- gravity turn, coast to apoapsis, etc.) isn't displaying, except very very briefly after engaging the ascent AP.

For anyone having problems with the UI loading, please download the zip file again. It seems my new Mono build pipeline isn't working well and it seems to have problems loading with some configurations.

Still not working.. Any ideas? Running on Windows x64

Hello, I have experienced today a strange thing with MechJeb 2.0.7. I had a lander on Mun and an orbiter around Mun, and I wanted to rendez-vous the orbiter with the lander. First I took off (without mechjeb) and set a rough orbit around Mun. After that I launched the Rendez-vous guidance module, asked it to match planes with the orbiter which ran ok. Then I set up the second step, phasing orbit. My orbiter was on a nearly circular orbit of about 33km radius, and my lander on an elliptic orbit (~30km periapsis, ~180km apoapsis). First the rendez-vous guidance module changed the lander's orbit to a circular one about 10km radius, but then it established a periapsis at -68km height, right inside Mun ! I thought it was going to correct this, but it did nothing and my lander crashed on Mun...

you cant use the same boxes that mount on your ship. you have to change those to the enclosed AR202 case that's in the parts folder of the 207 zip file or change the part cfg of your old parts to use the new module.

I have no idea how to do that I'm afraid :(

[Edit:] Found a part called Mechjeb2 AR202 case, I'm going to assume this is what you meant?

Edited by Testamentof

Information I'd like to have on hand, generically things to do with electricity, less generically:

Current Elec.

Max Elec.

Current Generation

Max Generation

Max Generation in Shadow (ignoring solar panels)

Current Drain

Max Drain

Max Drain - Ion Engines

Time Till Blackout

Time Till Full Charge

Max Ion Burn Time (at full throttle)

Sustainable Ion Burn Throttle %

Some of these would be helpful in flying ion-driven ships, running space stations, and mining operations; others would be useful in the VAB/SPH.

After using the landing autopilot for the last 4 hours, only the final decent stage actually operates mostly correct. [...]

Thanks for the info; can you say what body you are trying to land on, and approximately what the TWR of your lander is so that we can try to reproduce the behaviors you are seeing?

Additionally, when it is displaying the approximate landing location (blue triangle thing), it moves if I click on either of the 2 landing autopilots as opposed to when I have a reentry maneuver or trajectory without autopilot turned on, this makes it extremely confusing when trying to figure out where it thinks you are going to land.

What happens is that if you are landing manually, MJ has no idea what sort of burn you are going to do, so it shows where you will crash if you don't burn at all. When the land-at-target autopilot is enabled, it knows its own algorithm for burning and so it can predict where it will land, so it shows that instead. When the "land somewhere" autopilot is on, it's probably showing a prediction for the land-at-target burn algorithm, which is wrong; I guess I should fix that.

I used to be able to see which SOI I am in. Where can I find this info on 2.0?

You can't. We could add an info item for it, I suppose, but can't you just look down?

the status line in the ascent autopilot (the line of text that says what's going on -- gravity turn, coast to apoapsis, etc.) isn't displaying, except very very briefly after engaging the ascent AP.

Thanks, we'll fix this.

MechJeb 2 is causing my game to crash, its the only plugin installed.

Here is my crash file.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-wDGzeDISakazhPUFYwMS1MazA&usp=sharing

Thanks for the crash log; unfortunately I don't see anything obvious in the output_log.txt. Can you say where and when in the game you get the crashes, and whether the crashes seem to be associated with any particular MechJeb window?

I had a lander on Mun and an orbiter around Mun, and I wanted to rendez-vous the orbiter with the lander. First I took off (without mechjeb) and set a rough orbit around Mun. After that I launched the Rendez-vous guidance module, asked it to match planes with the orbiter which ran ok. Then I set up the second step, phasing orbit. My orbiter was on a nearly circular orbit of about 33km radius, and my lander on an elliptic orbit (~30km periapsis, ~180km apoapsis). First the rendez-vous guidance module changed the lander's orbit to a circular one about 10km radius, but then it established a periapsis at -68km height, right inside Mun !

Thanks for the detailed information on the exact situation; I'll try to reproduce this.

and why i always keep losing my custom windows after i created them and also the ascent autopilot settings

Make sure you are using the latest version of MJ. Personally I haven't lost any custom windows since 2.0.6, so if you are still losing them you'll have to help us reproduce the issue. Can you provide a sequence of actions that reliably causes your settings and windows to be lost?

Information I'd like to have on hand, generically things to do with electricity, less generically:

Current Elec.

Max Elec.

Current Generation

Max Generation

Max Generation in Shadow (ignoring solar panels)

Current Drain

Max Drain

Max Drain - Ion Engines

Time Till Blackout

Time Till Full Charge

Max Ion Burn Time (at full throttle)

Sustainable Ion Burn Throttle %

Some of these would be helpful in flying ion-driven ships, running space stations, and mining operations; others would be useful in the VAB/SPH.

These do look useful; I'll work on adding them soon!

Does enabling fine-tune control with CapsLock have any effect on MJ? Or even on the RCS strength?

No, caps lock only affects player input, not MechJeb.

Issue I'm still having, Anytime I manually type in landing coordinates into MJ it freaks out completely no matter my starting altitude. Or body on which I'm trying to land. It will start a deorbit burn, and burn and spin the ship out of control it only seems to want to work after a "Click Location On Map" to get its coordinates. Its a issue I have had in the last 2 releases. To be safe I slapped MJ 1.9.8 on the same ship typed in the landing location and it landed the ship fine. So it's MJ2 not my ship design. (didn't use both jebs on same ship, 2 ships one with new jeb one with old)

Also a little request, can you please restore the decimal coordinate system MJ 1.9.8 had please? It makes using ISA maps and Kethan Maps for landing a hell of alot easier.

I have some interface issues with the new 2.* MechJebs.

The biggest one being that the new MechJeb tab we have in the VAB/SPH screens interferes with the staging editor bar. Somewhat oddly it blocks out and prevents me from clicking a larger portion of the screen, than the actually visible tab is. The only way i can edit the staging, is by temporarily tearing off the Mechjeb2 part from my ship.

The other ones are rather minor - the new transparent windows are often very hard to read. So while transparent windows are fun and great for looks, i would actually prefer the old interface for useability.

And the new window editor (which is a great addition) only allows me to remove a few of the info windows, while i would in fact prefer keeping the info windows, while removing some of the others from the mechjeb in-flight tab.

Thanks for the crash log; unfortunately I don't see anything obvious in the output_log.txt. Can you say where and when in the game you get the crashes, and whether the crashes seem to be associated with any particular MechJeb window?

It was in the VAB with custom windows showing Delta V, Acceleration, Part count and the like

Also a little request, can you please restore the decimal coordinate system MJ 1.9.8 had please? It makes using ISA maps and Kethan Maps for landing a hell of alot easier.

Ye, I was wondering about this. If I can actually use those coordinates for mechjeb.

There's an add-on called Haystack that provides a tab in the map screen to pick/select targets (and filter by type) -- it works fantastically well and is very simple. I'm not sure if it got lost in the Great Forum Purge of 2013, though....

Thank you Daver, I found it through the Spaceport and it works just like what I was asking for.

I ORDA for docking. It seems to work pretty well. Manually dock is way painful, especially if your part count is high and the lag is bad.

Yes, I have gone back to orda as well to do the docking, a) cause of the problems mentioned above of time standing still, and B) cause with orda I can use the "target" buttons to choose the right docking ports by switching between ships/station. (no offense to the mechjeb author, but the way it stands at the moment, the mechjeb whole docking thing is unusuable for me due to my lack of flying ability lol )

I think I may have also found something else, if you use the "auto staging" on ascent and do NOT turn it off after finished, when you goto use the landing option and hit spacebar once, it seems to do ALL remaining stages.. - I confirmed this by turning off auto staging after using ascent, and could use landing perfectly hitting spacebar when needed.. (this was on 2.0.6, not tried it yet on the latest but will and report back)

Edit: since some have said docking now works I will give it another try :)

Edited by Simplicity

Yeah, you are back, and with the new 2.0.7!

Nice!

Good!

So far the bug with docking for me seams to be fixed and is all working, despite the return from moon, or i use it wrongly. I just pic this option on the maneuver planing when i was in moon orbit to return to Kerbin, but it make my pe go directly to collision in Mun.

But the use of RCS is amazingly improved on a small ship with 3 crew plus 4 passenger and a medium tank with a nuke. I put only 4 balls of 40 each of monopropilen... and it use only 10 from the 160 to dock twice. Is marvelous. But i don't test it with wobbling big ships yet!

For all other things i tested, it's working marvelous.

:D

Great Work!

Edited by Climberfx

Thanks for the info; can you say what body you are trying to land on, and approximately what the TWR of your lander is so that we can try to reproduce the behaviors you are seeing?

Ship name: Duna Recon Lander

Planetary bodies landed: Duna

dunareconmodule.png

Shi name: Transport Lander I

Planetary bodies landed: Mun, Duna

transportlanderi.png

Something else I forgot to mention. As I was performing a planetary transfer, mechjeb automatically staged!!!! I was not expecting this since there was no option to control this, and bad things could have happened if I circumstances were different. I suggest adding a check box to allow automatic staging to the maneuver planner window.

Edited by Blaylock1988

Hello gents, a quick bug report, I was using 2.0.6 (havent noticed 2.0.7 was released), well the bug is, I have just decoupled my Eve transfer stage from my probe + lander payload, and I wanted to see some reentry flames, so I switched to it...when it crashed into the surface it still had a velocity of 65m/s, orbital velocity 80-something-ish, and I couldnt end flight or change vessels...there goes 1 hour of trying to figure out how to bring mechjeb to transfer to inner planets...