[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

For anyone having problems with the UI loading, please download the zip file again. It seems my new Mono build pipeline isn't working well and it seems to have problems loading with some configurations.

Is there a problem with the landing guidance or it was me? It sent my space craft(with Jeb and Bill) on a escape trajectory to the sun when I was trying to land on mun.

Just a quick query, is the full version of 2 going to have the full range of parts 1 has?

No. It will have the AR202 and a new pod, probably nothing else for now.

I'll post a separate download with all the old parts converted for 2.0 for compatibility reasons, though.

Just to say thank you again. With the lack of a mission planner, and my inability to work the entire system in Calc/excel, this is a wonderful tool. I still switch to manual for some landings, launches or just fun, but ion probes and automated systems are so much more productive. :)

Not sure, but could "hold altitude" work? You'd have to switch on/off the engines manually though.

Well I'm wanting to use the landing autopilot but mechjeb doesn't recognize the horizontal flight and landing capability.

Well, the RCS bug is still there. It cant freaking cope with RCS and the S.A.S.S. attitude hold features. 2.0.4 didnt have this bug, but boy, does .6 have it :( whats weird is if it can steer with the internal gyros it does fine.

Well, the RCS bug is still there. It cant freaking cope with RCS and the S.A.S.S. attitude hold features. 2.0.4 didnt have this bug, but boy, does .6 have it :( whats weird is if it can steer with the internal gyros it does fine.

Are you using version 2.0.6? 2.0.7 is the latest.

Are you using version 2.0.6? 2.0.7 is the latest.

Both, .4 never gave this problem, not sure on .5 but .6 this bug popped up, and I've been frustrated ever since. Kill Rot will work, kinda, except it takes a lot of time to do it, and uses pretty much all your RCS (80) to do it. I cant figure it out though, its fine with SAS and/or internal gyros, but if thats not enough and you throw in RCS (bigger ships), it cant get itself fixed, and will overcorrect. Each overcorrection gets larger and larger. I've noticed it keeps thrusting until it hits the desired direction, but doesnt bother correcting for the momentum its built up by firing the RCS thrusters, causing an overshoot. It then tries to correct that, with the exact same results as before. Let it go long enough (about a minute or two) and it eventually will flip, and goes all screwy.

edit: hang on, lemme clear the Saved settings from .6, see if that clears it up (doubt it).

edit 2: Negative, no affect at all, messing with the new RCS settings also did not help either. If anything its worse.

Edited by Sovek

Both, .4 never gave this problem, not sure on .5 but .6 this bug popped up, and I've been frustrated ever since. Kill Rot will work, kinda, except it takes a lot of time to do it, and uses pretty much all your RCS (80) to do it. I cant figure it out though, its fine with SAS and/or internal gyros, but if thats not enough and you throw in RCS (bigger ships), it cant get itself fixed, and will overcorrect. Each overcorrection gets larger and larger. I've noticed it keeps thrusting until it hits the desired direction, but doesnt bother correcting for the momentum its built up by firing the RCS thrusters, causing an overshoot. It then tries to correct that, with the exact same results as before. Let it go long enough (about a minute or two) and it eventually will flip, and goes all screwy.

edit: hang on, lemme clear the Saved settings from .6, see if that clears it up (doubt it).

edit 2: Negative, no affect at all, messing with the new RCS settings also did not help either. If anything its worse.

Can you upload your .craft and file a bug report containing a very clear list of the steps you take to see this behavior? https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/issues

craft file is irrelavent as it does it on anything I've tried.... its easy to replicate, just enable RCS, press any desired attitutde on the S.A.S.S. and just watch...

And I did file a bug report, dunno why its not showing.

My apologies if this has been suggested before but it would be nice to be able to pick target by a list like you do through the tracking station. Sometimes I have debris on the same orbit and close proximity to my target craft that I can't pick it from the orbital map. I can click a million times and keep picking up the wrong thing.

Ok, I think this is possibly my fault in the 2.0.7 version >.< It would appear that in my attempt to balance RCS thrust, I'm actually causing some issues. 1, The control body and its internal gyros are very near or at the CoM (cannot be negated as the payload is a 3t solar panel array at the top) and the RCS system comprises only 4 blocks also at CoM, I can't place RCS thrusters forward of the CoM due to the SPA. I reworked the lifter to use 2.5m parts instead and it worked.

However...... MJ drank the RCS fuel like freaking crazy, even on a transit to another attitude, and is really bad about 90 turns. Even if it was settled on the desired attitude, it didnt stop. I dont recall this problem in MJ1 :/

Ok, I think this is possibly my fault in the 2.0.7 version >.< It would appear that in my attempt to balance RCS thrust, I'm actually causing some issues. 1, The control body and its internal gyros are very near or at the CoM (cannot be negated as the payload is a 3t solar panel array at the top) and the RCS system comprises only 4 blocks also at CoM, I can't place RCS thrusters forward of the CoM due to the SPA. I reworked the lifter to use 2.5m parts instead and it worked.

However...... MJ drank the RCS fuel like freaking crazy, even on a transit to another attitude, and is really bad about 90 turns. Even if it was settled on the desired attitude, it didnt stop. I dont recall this problem in MJ1 :/

1. Is there a reason you're using RCS for rotation? Pod torque is slower but uses no fuel, and it sounds like this might be a small ship anyway, so a probe core's torque might be enough.

2. Instead of having one set of thrusters very near your CoM, have you tried using two sets (one ahead of CoM and one behind)?

Once again, if you can file a bug and upload your ship, that would be helpful.

1: slow is SLOOOW, and during the ascent I do kinda need to get pointed in the correct direction in a timely fashion. In some cases it will barely move at all.

2: yes, that worked well. but it was still being stupid with RCS use.

I've tested the docking autopilot and it seems to be working again. Forthermore,it seems rcs usage was definately improved,since i had more than a half tank left after after docking. What puzzles me however is the rendezvous autopilot. First,it goes into a lower orbit than the target,but suddenly decides to go into a higher orbit and then do the hohmann transfer. Seems like a unnessecary fuel waste to me.

I've tested the docking autopilot and it seems to be working again. Forthermore,it seems rcs usage was definately improved,since i had more than a half tank left after after docking. What puzzles me however is the rendezvous autopilot. First,it goes into a lower orbit than the target,but suddenly decides to go into a higher orbit and then do the hohmann transfer. Seems like a unnessecary fuel waste to me.

I'm excited about that autopilot, but my dockings tends to be complicated. :X

When you doing more randezvous to let's say station you do it once and then you know what altitude you need so ascent for directly from KSC. Like my ISS is at 160km orbit, and I know now that when I want to send anything there using mechjeb only I have to go to 281km orbit then autopilot will do hohmann transfer straight away. Same for mun ISS, its on 40 km orbit and I know after first try it needs to start randezvous at 78 km orbit.

These are my observations for the JM 2.0.7 Landing Guidance:

After using the landing autopilot for the last 4 hours, only the final decent stage actually operates mostly correct. When it starts its initial braking turn, it starts very soon, but doesnt compensate for the shallow approach later on so you come in at a shallow angle and and often overshoot/smash into the ground. Also, it will frequently line up the orbits correctly initially, but continue to burn and put me in an escape trajectory. There have been a few instances where it will align the orbit, then proceed to spin my ship uncontrollably. Once the initial braking turn is lined up (manually or by the grace of God) mechjeb will exit warp WAAAAYYYY too late which will overshoot every time if the approach is shallow, or it will undershoot if the approach is steep. If I am able to coax it into an accurate estimated landing location, the final decent stage does work properly.

Additionally, when it is displaying the approximate landing location (blue triangle thing), it moves if I click on either of the 2 landing autopilots as opposed to when I have a reentry maneuver or trajectory without autopilot turned on, this makes it extremely confusing when trying to figure out where it thinks you are going to land.

Not complaining here, just trying to lay out exactly what is happening in hopes that it will help identify the issues and solutions.

New easter egg found lol

mjee.jpg

edit: I think I get the joke now lol

"Added a reminder for Romfarer to fix his GUI handling"

its everywhere the black/yellow check used to be from Lazor lol

Edited by HoY