[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Controlling from a docking port does not mean that MechJeb has no control. It just means that the reference point and orientation are changed. It doesn't literally put the docking port in control of anything, that would be pointless.

I understand what your saying, Ok if you go to Rover autopilot, select speed control, it will just continue to increase speed, unless MJ is in control. What i mean is, You have to click MJ and control form it. With the S plugin( which is great BTW ) it removes the ability to control from MJ. He did this on purpose so everyone would not have to constantly click their command pods for the control point. I just installed the old MJ unit and used his plugin and everything is normal. Other than i have to be sure to hit the control from here on my command pod for Rockets.

i dont know is the reason i ask...

there a s**t storm over it a month ago and why the creator i think stop updating the mod

Where is this at? Are you talking about a thread in the general discussion forum? Because those "mechjeb is cheating" threads are a dime a dozen and not limited to a month ago. If that was the reason R4m0n stopped development, he would have stopped the second day after the very first version of mechjeb.

Edited by sojourner

Where is this at? Are you talking about a thread in the general discussion forum? Because those "mechjeb is cheating" threads are a dime a dozen and not limited to a month ago. If that was the reason R4m0n stopped development, he would have stopped the second day after the very first version of mechjeb.

no..i think the lines of what should be added in it.....

I understand what your saying, Ok if you go to Rover autopilot, select speed control, it will just continue to increase speed, unless MJ is in control. What i mean is, You have to click MJ and control form it. With the S plugin( which is great BTW ) it removes the ability to control from MJ. He did this on purpose so everyone would not have to constantly click their command pods for the control point. I just installed the old MJ unit and used his plugin and everything is normal. Other than i have to be sure to hit the control from here on my command pod for Rockets.

I think the issue on your rover isn't that you have to control from MJ, but from a properly aligned part. That's why the suggestion for a properly-aligned docking port.

MJ gets all info from the command part. So if the command part is pointed up, MJ will think your rover's forward velocity is 0 (well, not always 0--sometimes you're climbing hills) and thus always increase speed.

If your command part is properly aligned, though, it should work fine.

Same with heading, BTW.

I think the issue on your rover isn't that you have to control from MJ, but from a properly aligned part. That's why the suggestion for a properly-aligned docking port.

MJ gets all info from the command part. So if the command part is pointed up, MJ will think your rover's forward velocity is 0 (well, not always 0--sometimes you're climbing hills) and thus always increase speed.

If your command part is properly aligned, though, it should work fine.j

Same with heading, BTW.

Thats how I did it with my rovers. Either they have a port perpendicular to their probe core or they use a separate core. Port preferably. Ever since I installed module manager I avoid the MJ part entirely. Only reason it's still available in my VAB is because I still have pre-0.21 craft that have it floating around. Or that I might have to load from craft files.

I just get a bemused look at people who say that MechJeb is somehow cheapening their game. First off, if they don't like it, they don't have to use it.

Secondly, I'll point out that every reputable space agency in the Real World uses as much automation as they possibly can. Even the old Apollo astronauts had a simplistic but functional autonav system. There's a *reason* the Apollo 11 astronauts were taking their lives into their hands when they tried to dead-stick a manual alignment for an Earth deorbit burn.

I for one am very grateful for this mod. It allows me to step past the extreme difficulty of calculating and managing orbital dynamics and move on to the more fun aspects of building a space program.

I had a few issues as some here might know, getting the changed MechJeb to work. I *think* I've got it. I've got the AR202 case now, at any rate, although I have yet to launch anything. (way too early in the morning for that, now. :) )

From a stylistic perspective, I hope the dev team working on the MechJeb project import the other modules into the new format. For purely entertainment reasons, I loved putting the MechJeb "Space Core" on rockets. It's at the moment the only part I really find I'm missing. :)

Hey guys, this question came up a few times in one form or another, but none of the replies i found were any help. Is there a way to move the Mechjeb tab on the right to a different location. The tab is not movable for some reason, 2.0.9 default and "patched" version.

From a stylistic perspective, I hope the dev team working on the MechJeb project import the other modules into the new format. For purely entertainment reasons, I loved putting the MechJeb "Space Core" on rockets. It's at the moment the only part I really find I'm missing. :)

Don't hold your breath on that. There is no "team", just Sarbian, and he's only going to be active for about 2 more weeks. Checkout his thread for work on ongoing issues with mechjeb.

ETA: Hey guys. For the people having big rockets tumble after MECO and before leaving atmosphere, do you have the option on the ascent guidance for "corrective steering" turned on? If not, could you give that a try and see if it makes a difference?

Edited by sojourner

so answer why i ask about mechjeb is here

"Basically the same kind of people that wrecked PFL decided they didn't like mechjeb, and proceeded to raise hell on the forums about it.

It was delt with of course, but managed to get mechjeb treated as a sore subject on KSPF."

there you go...

LOL that **** storm you are referring to is mostly people like myself saying the the developer of the mod has gone AWOL and for people to stop posting issues here because no one is going to fix them. Sarbian has created a solution to that effect. End of story, really not a **** storm, not even a puddle, more of a wet sneeze.

so answer why i ask about mechjeb is here

"Basically the same kind of people that wrecked PFL decided they didn't like mechjeb, and proceeded to raise hell on the forums about it.

It was delt with of course, but managed to get mechjeb treated as a sore subject on KSPF."

there you go...

What is PFL and who did you quote there?

Suggestions for people suffering a couple of problems....

MJ can't handle a launch without spinning out of control sideways within meters in spite of the control part being correctly aligned: Try deleting all of the craft-specific config files in KSP\GameData\MechJeb2\Plugins\PluginData\MechJeb2 - they're called mechjeb_settings_type_*.cfg and there is one for each craft you've flown. Sometimes they seem to have crap data in them, and the defaults work a lot better.

I have that issue where my 3rd rocket always fail, i can see this when i engage ascent autopilot and monopropellent is used while still on the launchpad. I found an easy solution for thoses in the same case, just push RAD + in the smart ass menu, only one click and close smart ass. You are ready to ascent.

Started this thread about a bug I found, thrashed my game to hunt down the root cause but I found it. Here's a link to a symmetry bug Mechjeb causes in the VAB, quite repeatable.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/47997-Symmetry-bug-Have-a-few-mods-loaded?p=623683#post623683

For those who haven't checked out that thread, he today found that MechJeb does not cause this bug- it happens in stock KSP however MJ and friends may exacerbate it (like kethane with the ScaledSpace bug)

Kudos for some good science there Jean :)

What is PFL and who did you quote there?
basically PFL (postcards from laythe) was a good fan serves until bunches of 4chaners came in and destroyed it..then those same ones did to mechjeb.. and was from Odin from a different forums to ask the question cause yea...but i will not disclose what this other forums is..as it will bring the same group people to yet again ruined another greats works..

seems that the quote system is broken for me on Firefox:mad:......

Edited by akh101

Any chance someone could explain why I can't get MechJeb 2.0.9 working on KSP 0.21.1.276? I put the MechJeb2 folder (with parts and plugin subfolders) into my GameData folder but the mod doesn't load up when I start the game.

works great for me.

Does your directory structure look like KSP\GameData\MechJeb\Plugins\MechJeb2.dll ?

Is your KSP folder under Desktop or Program Files (windows) ? because windows restricts write access to those trees, which screws up some mods. Instead, try C:\Games\KSP....

I am experiencing a similar issue. Was using the plugin with no problem and the next day the button is missing from the side of the screen.

Checked the logs and it seems to be loading the dll, but it just isnt there in game.

Did something change?