[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

I am back. You have me for 3 weeks before I get a 5 weeks break :cool:

Still no reply from R4m0n so I'll proceed with a new thread later today.

yay im excited to see what you can pull off in that timeframe :wink:

Hi all, im not sure if this will help but i was having major problems for days with mechjeb in both 0.20 and 0.21. After many many hours i found the culprit myself. Now it may not be exactly the same problem but could be a lead in the right direction. I used to have the control part to attach to ship but no menu tabs ever appeared. This is a copy of my post from a different thread that worked for me.

Ok, problem solved. Here is what i did. After days of messing around with this thing i finally found the culprit. COMODO Anti Virus blocks certain applications if it does not recognise its certificates. I tried telling it that KSP can go do what it wants with no restrictions but still didnt work so i just uninstalled COMODO, Uninstalled KSP 0.20 and reinstalled KSP 0.21 with mechjeb 2.0.9 in the gamedata folder. I then gave it a test and all works perfectly. I then installed B9 parts and NovaPunch2 and tested again succesfully.

Hi all, im not sure if this will help but i was having major problems for days with mechjeb in both 0.20 and 0.21. After many many hours i found the culprit myself. Now it may not be exactly the same problem but could be a lead in the right direction. I used to have the control part to attach to ship but no menu tabs ever appeared. This is a copy of my post from a different thread that worked for me.

Ok, problem solved. Here is what i did. After days of messing around with this thing i finally found the culprit. COMODO Anti Virus blocks certain applications if it does not recognise its certificates. I tried telling it that KSP can go do what it wants with no restrictions but still didnt work so i just uninstalled COMODO, Uninstalled KSP 0.20 and reinstalled KSP 0.21 with mechjeb 2.0.9 in the gamedata folder. I then gave it a test and all works perfectly. I then installed B9 parts and NovaPunch2 and tested again succesfully.

Jokes on you, now you're addicted to KSP!

tested for several days

Im going to try Sarbian test bed first, if i can figure out what to download lol. Ive been fighting my rocket builds that use to not wobble at all. Ive strutted and blah blah blah, then tried one time with out MJ and it they were straight again.

Edit: how do you correct the dang wobble, If i take off MJ my rockets will shoot straight up. its getting so annoying

EDIT 2: sorry for my rant, but it was late and i was spending all my time trying to get wobble out. so i was a little frustrated.

Edit 3: I went and posted this on another thread, and someone suggested locking the gimbal on the engine. This worked and now flies straight again. Im not sure what happened bc its the same rocket. But anyway this works. so im throwing this out there in case someone runs into the same problem.

Edited by viperwolf

Mechjeb cannot stage. I launch a regular rocket.

It flies smoothly and normally until right after the gravity turn starts. I pans up and the radical decouplers stage goes down into the main booster stage and then I can't decouple the boosters.

I did this with and without mods and it always fails!

Help?

I had an issue a few times with slightly off docking, then I realized that it was aligning my radially mounted MJ unit instead of the docking port. if I "Control from here" on the docking port, I have no problems. You will also have no problems if you are controlling from the in-line command pod, but a few times, MJ grabs the control location and I have to set it back, or else have odd effects.

I had an issue a few times with slightly off docking, then I realized that it was aligning my radially mounted MJ unit instead of the docking port. if I "Control from here" on the docking port, I have no problems. You will also have no problems if you are controlling from the in-line command pod, but a few times, MJ grabs the control location and I have to set it back, or else have odd effects.

Sarbian made a craft file for the MJ unit that eliminates it being a command unit. When you right click, it will only show electric. However i had to re install the old unit and just use his plugin bc i need MJ to control my rover. (Speed control/Direction)

I may have missed another way to do this with his setup.

Sarbian made a craft file for the MJ unit that eliminates it being a command unit. When you right click, it will only show electric. However i had to re install the old unit and just use his plugin bc i need MJ to control my rover. (Speed control/Direction)

I may have missed another way to do this with his setup.

Just add a junior docking port facing front and control from it.

I think that's sort of been lost in the shuffle. I've installed 1.9.8, and the only MechJeb doodad that even shows up in my build windows is HydroJeb. Nothing else. I installed the 2.0.9 patch, and same deal. I then installed the patch they're testing in that other forum, I still can't see any MechJeb parts in the build windows.

Everyone's racing ahead about how they're going to fix this and that, and I can't find instructions anywhere about what to do if the parts don't even appear in the build window!

I think that's sort of been lost in the shuffle. I've installed 1.9.8, and the only MechJeb doodad that even shows up in my build windows is HydroJeb. Nothing else. I installed the 2.0.9 patch, and same deal. I then installed the patch they're testing in that other forum, I still can't see any MechJeb parts in the build windows.

Everyone's racing ahead about how they're going to fix this and that, and I can't find instructions anywhere about what to do if the parts don't even appear in the build window!

Did you use old versions you may have forgotten to remove? What version of KSP are you running? where are you installing the files? Your not just overwritting the old files each time you switch versions are you?

Isn't Orda dead?
Did you use old versions you may have forgotten to remove? What version of KSP are you running? where are you installing the files? Your not just overwritting the old files each time you switch versions are you?

It sounds like that's what he's doing. He said he installed a 2.0.9 patch. That could mean he copied over mechjeb2.dll or a cfg patch file. (for ModuleManager)

dragonflight, if all you did was download the dll file from this thread then there are no parts. It's just the plugin file.

You need to download the full 2.0.9 version. Delete older versions before installing

http://jenkins.mumech.com/job/MechJeb2%20Release/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/jenkins-MechJeb2%20Release-4/MechJeb2-2.0.9.0.zip

AFAIK there's only one part in there in the command section: AR202.

My advice about the AR202 though is not to bother. Get ModuleManager and download the config files that add MechJeb to command modules/probes (there's sets of configs for each mod... most mods) then you dont have to worry about adding parts

Module Manager

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/complimentary-configs-for-all/

Module Manager let's you make changes to stock parts without tampering with their config files. It 'patches' them when they are loaded and reversing the changes is as easy as deleting the patch file. (MM patch files are just config files themselves)

What the above two links mean to you is that you can get MechJeb installed on every stock part and most of the popular mods without having to add anything in VAB. So, you could conceivably just use the mechjeb2.dll from this thread, module manager and the config files in the last link.

I have a command pod on it, the problem is MJ does not control speed correctly unless it is in control. This is referring to rover guidance only

Controlling from a docking port does not mean that MechJeb has no control. It just means that the reference point and orientation are changed. It doesn't literally put the docking port in control of anything, that would be pointless.

Edited by Starwaster

Is there any way to get the "Steering Error" readout from the old Smart A.S.S. back in MJ2? That was actually really handy, especially when you needed fine control (like when docking).

It sounds like that's what he's doing. He said he installed a 2.0.9 patch. That could mean he copied over mechjeb2.dll or a cfg patch file. (for ModuleManager)

dragonflight, if all you did was download the dll file from this thread then there are no parts. It's just the plugin file.

I'll try that stuff shortly. But for completeness' sake, I'll just say what I've been doing here.

I recently had a chance to replace key PC parts, so I did a full replacement. What that means here is that 21.1 is essentially a *new* install, with all the parts installed fresh from the Spaceport. The 1.9.8 version is what shows in the Spaceport, so I installed that. No Mechjeb control. A bit if searching showed that the 1.9.8 doesn't work with 21.1, which makes me wonder *why* it's got star billing, and why the more modern version isn't being pointed to, but whatever...

I then followed the link to 2.0.9, but as you say, all that has is a few dll's and no modules. I've been trying to get these things to work ever since, and getting more confused all the time. I'll see if these instructions help. Thanks!