[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

I'm getting all kinds of stuff, wrong maneuver nodes, smart ass not moving to maneuver node, pro grade etc, delta v calculations are off, I have uninstalled for now gonna wait for an update.

The MJ wiki doesn't seem to provide any description of the meaning of Delta-V Stats. My specific questions:

1. Total Dv: If it says "3505, 4566" does that mean the vehicle will use up a total of 3505 Dv to get to 69.9km (launching from the KSC obviously), leaving 4566 left for use in vacuum? Does this assume a vertical full throttle ascent with no throttle tapering or gravity turn (meaning that an ascent with agravity turn and throttle tapering will actually use less Dv)?

2. Max TWR: I'm guessing this is the vehicles TWR immediately before the last ergs of fuel are expended in the stage?

3. Atmo Time: I'm guessing this is the time it takes the vehicle to reach 69.9km from KSC assuming a vertical full-throttle ascent (thus potentially slower if a gravity turn and backing off the throttle is used)?

4. Vac Time: Maximum duration of a full throttle burn in vacuum I would think?

1. Total Dv: If it says "3505, 4566" does that mean the vehicle will use up a total of 3505 Dv to get to 69.9km (launching from the KSC obviously), leaving 4566 left for use in vacuum? Does this assume a vertical full throttle ascent with no throttle tapering or gravity turn (meaning that an ascent with agravity turn and throttle tapering will actually use less Dv)?

Incorrect. The first number is the DV that you would have if you used up all of your fuel burning at sea level. The second number is if you used all your fuel burning in space.

2. Max TWR: I'm guessing this is the vehicles TWR immediately before the last ergs of fuel are expended in the stage?

This I'm not sure about.

3. Atmo Time: I'm guessing this is the time it takes the vehicle to reach 69.9km from KSC assuming a vertical full-throttle ascent (thus potentially slower if a gravity turn and backing off the throttle is used)?

No. This is the time it would take to use up all of your fuel if you were burning while still clamped to the launchpad.

4. Vac Time: Maximum duration of a full throttle burn in vacuum I would think?

Correct. It's how long it would take to run out of fuel on full throttle.

I am having a bug where randomly after using rendezvous autopilot or Maneuver Planner and having it execute at the nodes, it seems to lock up my turning controls but i am able to turn if i use thrust though it is still hard, this even prevents mechjeb from doing anything that involves it turning, the only fix i know is reverting to a time before it happened, which if you dont quicksave it will be all the way back to launch, I am using Mech Jeb 2.0.9 and the latest version of KSP which i think is like 0.21.1, im not sure if there is some other comment or thread with this question im too lazy to search. please help me

Ascent Guidance is broken!

I attempt to put a rocket in orbit, but however MechJeb begs to differ.

I have changed the start of the gravity turn on 12 km, that is all that is changed. On 12 km it starts turning east but after about 33% of the roll it goes back to the first notch in the navball, and stays there. I have enough ElectricCharge, running MJ 2.0.9 and KSP 21.1.

EDIT: It does get into orbit, it just stays at the first notch for waaay too long and burns waaay too much fuel.

Edited by KvickFlygarn87
More info

Ascent Guidance is broken!

I attempt to put a rocket in orbit, but however MechJeb begs to differ.

I have changed the start of the gravity turn on 12 km, that is all that is changed. On 12 km it starts turning east but after about 33% of the roll it goes back to the first notch in the navball, and stays there. I have enough ElectricCharge, running MJ 2.0.9 and KSP 21.1.

EDIT: It does get into orbit, it just stays at the first notch for waaay too long and burns waaay too much fuel.

You know you can change the ascent path right?

As far as I know, Autoland tries to land the best it can as if there's no parachutes there.

Yep, in case of OP's questions:

Since duna has a thin ATM, MJ will likely land with engines (it doesn't use parachutes anyway). The best way to land with parachutes is to let it plot a course and when you're heading straight down deploy manually. Problem on duna is that you're most probably going to rip your ship apart if you don't have drogues early on, so you might wanna land manually or stop mechjeb sometime before it puts you on course for aerobraking. If you don't wanna land at target, then do it all manually, much safer that way.

I tried a quick search but no joy so I'll ask here...

I was trying to use the rover autopilot as a form of cruise control, its gets tedious trying to keep a 22 ton mining rover between 13 m/s and 15 on long distances... I dont want the thing to drive itself but I would love the thing to keep a set speed so I can just drive and enjoy the drive.

The problem is when I call up the module, then click on the speed, set to say 1 m/s (testing) the vehicle just auto accelerates but no attempt to control the speed whatsoever.

I thought at first it was because my rover uses a lander can as a command seat for the rover, so I did a test with just a probe and a seat... the vehicle registers fine as a rover complete with rover icon yet MJ still fails to control the speed.

Is the rover cruise control working in 0.21 ? If so can you detail the steps needed to get it to work.

Thank you.

New to the forum, been playing .21 for a while, have MJ209 installed...

I didn't see this suggested anywhere, but if it has, maybe point me to a discussion. I'm wondering if a feature could be added where a launch could be timed to the position of another vehicle already in orbit, either by a direct time measurement or by the moment the (selected) orbiting vehicle passes a reference coordinate on the surface.

What I'm trying to do is set up a comm relay network where the relay sats are equally spaced in their orbit. I think I know the basics of doing it (manually), but it's difficult to "push the go button" at the precise moment, since I can only watch one spacecraft at a time. The time it takes to switch views from the orbiting sat back to the ground, engage the ascent computer, then make it go, moves the orbiting sat farther ahead than what I want.

It works, but you need to be controlling the rover from a part aligned with the rover's forward direction. If it's controlled from a MechJeb unit (which seems to be the default) it needs to be on the left side, rotated 90 deg forward so the antenna points forward. I think a seat should also work, but you need to click on the seat and select "control from here." I use a rotated MechJeb on my rovers with command pods to switch back and forth between whichever orientation I need at the time (landing vs. roving).

In your case it's likely trying to reach the set speed but in a direction 90 degrees from forward, so it just keeps accelerating.

Edited by Markarian421

Alright, if I remember correctly, the transfer top another planet modeul of the maneuver planner should do moon to moon transfers.

Well I'm in 60km Laythe orbit and I'm trying to transfer to Vall. I have the DV, I have Vall targeted, I have everything I need but the button is simply not doing anything. Not even a notification of why it won't work. Anyone knows a workaround for now and can confirm/infirm if the button should do this and doesn't anymore for some reason. I'v tried getting myself in Jool orbit then doing a Hohmann transfer but the wonderful physics sent me back to a Laythe impact course.

Hey, random question- has the 'speed limit' for docking thing been fixed, or is that going to be next version? I mean, it works- but it gives me enough time to get coffee, heh.

Also, did the 'force roll' option get removed? I don't seem to have it any more o.O

New to the forum, been playing .21 for a while, have MJ209 installed...

For some reason this quote went through my head and changed to...

I have ED209 installed and it keeps shooting my RoboKerman

:huh: - "Dead or alive, you're coming with MechJeb!"

Alright, if I remember correctly, the transfer top another planet modeul of the maneuver planner should do moon to moon transfers.

Well I'm in 60km Laythe orbit and I'm trying to transfer to Vall. I have the DV, I have Vall targeted, I have everything I need but the button is simply not doing anything. Not even a notification of why it won't work. Anyone knows a workaround for now and can confirm/infirm if the button should do this and doesn't anymore for some reason. I'v tried getting myself in Jool orbit then doing a Hohmann transfer but the wonderful physics sent me back to a Laythe impact course.

Go into Joolian orbit, raise your apoapsis to near Val, circularize, then do a Hohmann transfer to Val.

I tried a quick search but no joy so I'll ask here...

I was trying to use the rover autopilot as a form of cruise control, its gets tedious trying to keep a 22 ton mining rover between 13 m/s and 15 on long distances... I dont want the thing to drive itself but I would love the thing to keep a set speed so I can just drive and enjoy the drive.

The problem is when I call up the module, then click on the speed, set to say 1 m/s (testing) the vehicle just auto accelerates but no attempt to control the speed whatsoever.

I thought at first it was because my rover uses a lander can as a command seat for the rover, so I did a test with just a probe and a seat... the vehicle registers fine as a rover complete with rover icon yet MJ still fails to control the speed.

Is the rover cruise control working in 0.21 ? If so can you detail the steps needed to get it to work.

Thank you.

You have to have a forward facing control unit. The pod it self needs to be aligned on the horizon or you can just slap a docking port on the front and then click control from here. It has never worked with the control aligned on Z axis.

Go into Joolian orbit, raise your apoapsis to near Val, circularize, then do a Hohmann transfer to Val.

That's much less efficient than a direct transfer but heh. I managed to get a lucky transfer by fiddling with nodes and got it. But it would still be nice to know if anyone has a way of doing this through MechJEb rather than guesstimating a transfer or old fashioned Hohmann in Jool orbit.

Can you change the Download to Spaceport for mechjeb 2.0.9

Cause im using the School computers now (In Australia). I lost the internet at Home. ;(

I don't think the Spaceport upload was done by the devs.

For those waiting for an update for my version ( landing autopilot, new small fixes from github, ... ) : RL got busy last week, and I'm going away until Tuesday. So nothing from me until at least that.

Edited by sarbian

When MechJeb is in control, what's "up" on a rocket? I have a rocket that tends to tip over, and I don't know if it's imbalanced drag or MechJeb thinking that up is towards the horizon. The rocket has an airship payload, so the command capsule is facing sideways (as is the MechJeb).

Does it still know that up is the end that points away from the ground on the launchpad?