Star Wars: The Force Awakens

FishInferno

On 19/12/2015 at 8:43 AM, lajoswinkler said:

Am I like the only one who despises the franchise made to sell toys and thinks it's a piece of poo?

In a world where movie piracy is rampant (My fellow Aussies are particularly bad like this) This is the best way for franchise to make money. Starwars earns part of its place in history by being pretty much the first to do this. While I enjoy the satire, I sort of respect it for that. (Though I tend to be a cheapskate, and rarely buiy things myself.)

Yeah, it was pretty much 4, but bigger, with a little 5, 6, and some extra mixed in. Though the things that happened in it are the kind of things that happened in original starwars. It was no plot twister, but had some great moments, like the tie escape, and Fin and Rei's first go at flying the falcon.

One thing I did pick up on, was there were a lot more diversity in the accents and the human actors. That, and some of Kylo's and Poe's dialogue shows it's a modern film, which I liked. 

I do want to see some more ideas from the EU, but there's still quite a gap that new versions of old EU stories can fill. Though, there are some good bits about the interaction between the imperial remnant and the new republic that could be borrowed. I'd love to see that.  

12 minutes ago, Tw1 said:

I do want to see some more ideas from the EU, but there's still quite a gap that new versions of old EU stories can fill. Though, there are some good bits about the interaction between the imperial remnant and the new republic that could be borrowed. I'd love to see that.  

Personally I'd be happy with an Admiral Pellaeon cameo of some sort. Just a nod to the best of the SW:EU (and the 3 books every fan should read). 

Spoiler

Sure, he's dead by this point in the EU, but without Jacen around that probably wouldn't have happened. Especially since Ben is Jacen... of sorts. 

No Mara, unless she was one of those killed when Ben went all dark side / Night's Watch-ey.

Just saw it.  It wasn't bad, but I thought it leaned much to heavily on recreating scenes from the original trilogy.  It would have been better without those scenes.  The movie is strong enough to stand on it's own, without relying on it constantly reminding us why we like the originals.

Spoiler

desert planet
traders making money off of buying and selling junk (like droids)
Hiding under the Falcon's floor
Falcon needs repair
bar scene, with montage to show all the weird aliens
father/son drama on walkway over giant open shaft
the superweapon has shields that must be brought down
send Han in to take down the shields
superweapon fires early and takes out a planet (or more)
superweapon is being readied to fire on rebel base, including countdown
rebel command (including Leia) hanging out, listening to attack on superweapon
need to blow up the bunker to take out the superweapon
send Han in to blow up the bunker
older Jedi trains student who turns to evil
older Jedi is a hermit
Falcon flies around inside another ship
superweapon taken out by X-Wings flying through a trench to reach their target
hide the information in the astromech droid

Really?  We get it.  It's Star Wars.  We can tell by the music.

Edited by razark

I saw it a couple of days ago now, I thought it was awesome. As someone who never watched any of the previous Star War's in the cinema, seeing the force awakens was quite cool. It wasn't perfect, the inclusion of Death Star 3.0 I thought was a bit unnecessary since the rest of the movie held itself up but I can let that slide since JJ is trying to bring us back into this universe and make his own mark on this universe.     

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.