Show off your awesome KSP Pictures

Capt'n Skunky

My first proper planetary transfer to Jool! Took a ton fuel to get out there though.

Interception!

AttxJ.png

First sighting look to the right in the galaxy arm:

AyLj4.png

PzJVC.png

In Jool Orbit:

p7wWU.png

A good look at Laythe:

KDBvW.png

Edited by GOOMH

77mIZ.png

I launched 3 missions to Jool (warning: somewhat unorganized album) almost at the same time - at least, in the range of about 1 ingame month. Had I handled the initial burns better I could probably have had enough propellant to return home, but as it stands, the 9 brave Kerbals who made it out to Laythe orbit will serve as the precursors for the next salvo of missions meant to establish an ORDA space station and permanent surface base at the ocean moon.

Tweaked my lander a bit more for a Duna return mission. I already stranded Jeb there because I didn't have the fuel to make it back my first time.

I call my standard launch system the Taurus5, so this is the "Taurus5 N2 D"

N2 because it's my 2nd nuclear design

D for 4th mission of this mission type

screenshot53u.pngAt first I added the two tanks near the front, but that wasn't enough. Then I added 2 more half tanks to those front ones. Then added 3 big solid boosters to the launch stage.

screenshot54fy.png

As tempting as landing on the polar caps was, I opted for a more equatorial landing to save fuel...

screenshot55u.png

I set my approach to bottom at 10000m which forced the craft to skim the atmosphere longer and burn off a lot more energy. The two side fuel pods then deployed two large parachutes.... I swear those things open at the last minute to scare you on purpose.

screenshot57a.png

Ok... thought I had at least ONE with me on the surface... I did land, walked around, I think I landed in the most boring area on the whole planet, a shallow crater surrounded by hills and plains. It was a miracle I made it, but on the other hand... nothin to see.

screenshot58f.png

I tried to save as much of the ship as I could... but I was comin in a bit fast at 15m/s so I dropped the rest just before landing. The nuclear engine was crushed, I'm sure the core was intact, we'll know soon as they dig it out of the ground.

I just noticed the fact it erased my time because I got out at the end.

Lets just say it was a 5 year mission... took dang near forever. I wish the time warp had one more zero on it....

Also, is this the smallest Duna lander??

I landed with approximately 3 full tanks worth of fuel left with two empty halves. Basically, the top picture is what I left Kerbin orbit in.

5 whole tanks 4 halves 1 nuclear rocket 1 rcs tank 4 landing gear, 2 big parachutes, 1 small one, the cockpit, ladders.. think that's just about it.

Edited by Znath

My Eve rocket. Made it to Eve, just. It also has a whole bunch of stuff added on so that it can be mounted on to a bigger rocket for a return mission with some modifications.

QOZVG.png

3 & 1/2 full 1 meter tanks.

3 1 meter rcs tanks.

Also, is this the smallest Duna lander??

I landed with approximately 3 full tanks worth of fuel left with two empty halves. Basically, the top picture is what I left Kerbin orbit in.

5 whole tanks 4 halves 1 nuclear rocket 1 rcs tank 4 landing gear, 2 big parachutes, 1 small one, the cockpit, ladders.. think that's just about it.

You might be able to make it even smaller! It's possible to get into 70km circular orbit around Kerbin with just 1 LV-T30, 1 LV-909, 2 FL-T400s and 1 FL-T200, so with the nuclear engine I'd imagine you could make it back from Duna with something on that order, but I haven't tried it myself.