[1.1.3] Pulsejet Argus As 014 / As 044 and other WWII german engines

Pagan_Scorpion

You could add the Argus as-044 engine, which was twice as powerful as the first one, but the intake cover was square, and it looked a little different.

Like this:

http://discaircraft.greyfalcon.us/picturesf/ms5.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4a/Bundesarchiv_Bild_141-2733,_Neu_Tramm,_US-Soldaten_mit_V4.jpg

There was also the Lorin Ramjet, also known as the Sanger ramjet (both worked on the project)

Lorin: http://www.antaresmodels.com/productos/ANT-10/Lorin.jpg

Sanger: http://www.datazap.net/sites/1953/28-04-2013/DO-217/P1260505.jpg

Then there was the Bmw-018: (7,700 lbs at full thrust)

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww9/fokker_dr1/Motores/motor_bmw_018.jpg

http://xplanes.free.fr/lavo/images/bmw_018_01.jpg

The Junker Jumo 012: (6613 lbs at full thrust)

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww9/fokker_dr1/Proyectos%20Inconclusos/motor_turbojet_junkers_jumo_012.jpg

More information on the engines here:

http://tanks45.tripod.com/Jets45/ListOfEngines/EnginesD.htm

If you need world war two information about aircraft, I am a walking encyclopedia, so just ask!

I've seen the As-044 this morning when I was searching pictures for the Fieseler Fi 103R Reichenberg (that is now on my imgur album btw). I then thought it will be a good addition to the mod. It seems I'm not the only one :wink:.

Nice links, I'll keep them ! Thanks !

I will be glad to ask you if I have any question ! :)

I've said before that I could make the Jumo 004 an inline engine, but I wonder now if it is relevant as it seems they were only attached under the wings. Am I wrong ?

One thing that is pretty limiting when I want to make an engine is to find (good) audio file of it running. I might check if I find one for all the engine listed in the "idea" category...

I've seen the As-044 this morning when I was searching pictures for the Fieseler Fi 103R Reichenberg (that is now on my imgur album btw). I then thought it will be a good addition to the mod. It seems I'm not the only one :wink:.

Nice links, I'll keep them ! Thanks !

I will be glad to ask you if I have any question ! :)

I've said before that I could make the Jumo 004 an inline engine, but I wonder now if it is relevant as it seems they were only attached under the wings. Am I wrong ?

One thing that is pretty limiting when I want to make an engine is to find (good) audio file of it running. I might check if I find one for all the engine listed in the "idea" category...

The Jumo 004 only had versions designed to be fitted under the wings, above the fuselage, or below the fuselage.

The Bmw003 had versions for above, below, and in the fuselage, as well as above and below the wings, and fittings for inside of wing designs.

The HeS-011 had the same thing as the Bmw003.

- - - Updated - - -

Technicallly any jet engine can be put in a fuselage though, since it does not need a cover for the engine if it is in the fuselage, it is just placed with supports around it.

Technicallly any jet engine can be put in a fuselage though, since it does not need a cover for the engine if it is in the fuselage, it is just placed with supports around it.

Yep, of course all can be put in the fuselage. I was more wondering if it is making sense in a "historical" point of view.

An 1.25m inline version of a Jumo can be made (0.625m for an inline is kinda small for a plane...) but isn't it a bit odd as this engine wasn't intended to be used in the fuselage ?

I didn't know about the P.1101. I guess it is relevent now !

Yeah, it would totally fit the 0.625m category, especially for the radially attached version I have in mind, like on the Me 262. But for the inline one, 0.625m is too small imho. Most planes' parts are 1.25m, adding a 0.625m in the end for the engine makes it a bit weird. Maybe a 1.25m inline "nozzle only" Jumo 004 can be a good compromise ? Like the vanilla ramjet or turbojet where only the nozzles are stackable, the engine itself is "hidden" in the fuel tank/plane part before it.

I didn't know about the P.1101. I guess it is relevent now !

Yeah, it would totally fit the 0.625m category, especially for the radially attached version I have in mind, like on the Me 262. But for the inline one, 0.625m is too small imho. Most planes' parts are 1.25m, adding a 0.625m in the end for the engine makes it a bit weird. Maybe a 1.25m inline "nozzle only" Jumo 004 can be a good compromise ? Like the vanilla ramjet or turbojet where only the nozzles are stackable, the engine itself is "hidden" in the fuel tank/plane part before it.

Yep, of course all can be put in the fuselage. I was more wondering if it is making sense in a "historical" point of view.

An 1.25m inline version of a Jumo can be made (0.625m for an inline is kinda small for a plane...) but isn't it a bit odd as this engine wasn't intended to be used in the fuselage ?

Well, it was not intended for being in the fuselage, it would have to have a large amount of air to flow into it, as to prevent overheating, no jet engine was designed for that specific reason unless it is a centrifugal one.

The In-line engine would be 3.86 meters long, with a diameter (width of) 0.8128 meters.

That is the length and width, the height would be iffy, since the height is not the same, all the way through the engine, but you get what I am saying.

That is how big it would be, just make it in-line, so when you place it on the rear of a part, only the nozzle sticks out, and it is 90% of the way into that part, that way the engine is there, you just do not see anything but the nozzle.

I get what you're saying about the height :wink:

I dislike to hide most of the engine in the part before. A 3.86m long part might pass through the one before it. Also for a radially attached part, a non-KSP-standard width for that part wouldn't be a problem, although it would be kinda ugly to have 1.25m or 0.625m parts inline and then a ~0.81m one. It would need adaptators for each specific diameter...

That's why I was proposing a historically canon width/height for the radial part, but a more fantasist (but complying KSP standards) 1.25m inline nozzle.

It's hard to get the right percentage of realism that will correctly fit in the whole game...

Sounds sort of like a ramjet in a way.

I was thinking along those lines, but for low speeds - an air duct. The Germans experimented with using them in WWII, but......too loud, and how do you get em' off the ground? But I was thinking they would be neat since they can operate in any atmosphere, and would provide thrust relative to the air pressure and speed.

I was thinking along those lines, but for low speeds - an air duct. The Germans experimented with using them in WWII, but......too loud, and how do you get em' off the ground? But I was thinking they would be neat since they can operate in any atmosphere, and would provide thrust relative to the air pressure and speed.

Have you any exemples of what you're speaking about?

Edited by Pagan_Scorpion

Well a ramjet is a relative simple kind of engine, it has no moving parts, there is only a intake that goes in a large chamber where fuel is added and ignited and pushed out on the other side,

The only problem is300px-Ramjet_operation.svg.pngthat you have to go really fast (> mach 1) so have it actually work.

A ramjet is very effecient compared to other jet engines but you need a high amount of speed to activate them

Well a ramjet is a relative simple kind of engine, it has no moving parts, there is only a intake that goes in a large chamber where fuel is added and ignited and pushed out on the other side,

The only problem ishttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6c/Ramjet_operation.svg/300px-Ramjet_operation.svg.pngthat you have to go really fast (> mach 1) so have it actually work.

A ramjet is very effecient compared to other jet engines but you need a high amount of speed to activate them

Yeah, well, I know that kind :). I was asking for the low speed concept minepagan spoke about earlier.

I may add, that I was planning to add some ramjet (Lorin/Sanger ones) if I find enough material. The most problematic to find is a good soundfile...

not sure if this has been suggested yet, so please forgive me if it has, but i think it would be very nice if the jumo 004 had a radial version in the same underwing pod that the ME-262 had, i feel this would give it a really nice appearance.

Here is the Jumo 004B turbojet sound.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the Bmw 003R variant, a Bmw 003A-2 engine, with a Rheinmetal Borsig rocket engine attached. (No sound)

Thanks for the links, it will save me some time :wink:. Sound's quality for the Jumo 004B is very good ! It will be nice in KSP.

I've searched for Lorin/Sänger ramjets soundfile earlier, but I had no luck. I'll look for other ramjet sounds if I can't find one.

not sure if this has been suggested yet, so please forgive me if it has, but i think it would be very nice if the jumo 004 had a radial version in the same underwing pod that the ME-262 had, i feel this would give it a really nice appearance.

My next model will be that, I think. The radial version is the best known, the plane's also well known, so... :sticktongue:

Retro Future Airplanes has one. It works with 1.0.4 (just some of the propellers in the mod don't work, which is why it says 0.25)

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/111/Retro-Future%20Planes

Retro Future Airplanes has one. It works with 1.0.4 (just some of the propellers in the mod don't work, which is why it says 0.25)

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/111/Retro-Future%20Planes

They do, but from what I have seen, it is not very realistic, so I would like this mod to incorporate more realistic ones, with a more realistic thrust value for it.

Do you need information on the engine itself? Like thrust at certain speeds and altitudes?

Here is the Jumo 004B turbojet sound.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the Bmw 003R variant, a Bmw 003A-2 engine, with a Rheinmetal Borsig rocket engine attached. (No sound)

That's not a Jumo 004. That's one of the Me 262 replicas using J85 engines.

This videos' pretty short, but you can just hear a low rumble at the end: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152841379843666

Yeah, well, I know that kind :). I was asking for the low speed concept minepagan spoke about earlier.

I may add, that I was planning to add some ramjet (Lorin/Sanger ones) if I find enough material. The most problematic to find is a good soundfile...

Wow! That's the second time in recent history that someone has taken one of my ideas seriously! I must be getting my sanity back! We're gonna have to fix that....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.