Am I crazy...?

Iam aspaceman

...to expect my (new) windows based pc to run this game without constantly crashing to desktop due to the memory leaks?

I really want to love this game, but I have gotten so frustrated with the multitude of crashes / ship losses / Kerbonaut disappearances due to these crashes always around mid career / tech tree when I am trying to build and launch complex ships that I am going to move on to another game (again).

Well, there's a new update coming out soon, it might help stabilizing the game for you. I haven't had any problems with crashing since 1.0 but I generally don't push my part count beyond the 50-100 range even in the late game.

edit: spelling

Well, there's a new update coming out soon, it might help stabilizing the game for you. I haven't had any problems with crashing since 1.0 but I generally don't push my part count beyond the 50-100 range even in the late game.

Really? I don't have high part counts, and am running 1.04, and I get crashes on a regular basis-- usually linked to moving in and out of the VAB and/or the Tracking Station, or reverting a flight, all of of which I gather are memory-related.

I have been playing for three years and my game has never crashed (not once). Don't be so quick to blame the game for problems that might be related to mods or your drivers/hardware.

Are you using mods? What is your system specs (CPU, memory, video card)?

Really? I don't have high part counts, and am running 1.04, and I get crashes on a regular basis-- usually linked to moving in and out of the VAB and/or the Tracking Station, or reverting a flight, all of of which I gather are memory-related.

Yup, but I've been running full stock for the last year or so. My MacBook in BootCamp is too slow for all those fancy mods.

It is extremely frustrating. I don't have a stellar computer, 32 bit, quad core processor though I forget the speed. 4 GB ram. Decent Nvidia graphics card. I can't run anything above medium graphics for any amount of time at all. (If I set it to high and save I can't even launch the game until I change the config files to knock the graphics back down to low.)

Even on low graphics I might get an hour of playtime if I don't do many scene changes. Usually only happens when I launch directly from the pad and stay with that one ship for a long mission. Changing scenes (jumping around to different ships, going in and out of buildings, etc.) are the worst for my personal situation. I can crash the game in less than ten minutes if I say... accept a contract, research a tech node, build a ship in the VAB, and then try to launch it.

1.1 is supposed to address a lot of the performance issues. But they've said that pretty consistently every update and personally my performance has gotten worse with each update as opposed to better. I still love the game and play it a lot, but the frequent crashes (tied with it taking about 5 minutes or so to get back to the point before it crashed from desktop) really sour the experience for me.

I'm hoping to upgrade my computer soon to 64 bit to take advantage of that mode once it's released. Until then I can only cross my fingers every time I launch it.

...to expect my (new) windows based pc to run this game without constantly crashing to desktop due to the memory leaks?

I really want to love this game, but I have gotten so frustrated with the multitude of crashes / ship losses / Kerbonaut disappearances due to these crashes always around mid career / tech tree when I am trying to build and launch complex ships that I am going to move on to another game (again).

Try launching it with the options '-force-opengl -popupwindow'. Reduces the memory requirements a lot and lowers the crash-factor.

So far as I know there are no memory leaks. This game seems to be growing too big for a 32 bit system though.. even stock is pusing the limits. I've never experienced any crashes in 1.04 aside from heavily modded games that ran out of memory though.

Try launching it with the options '-force-opengl -popupwindow'. Reduces the memory requirements a lot and lowers the crash-factor.

I use -force-opengl . What would -popupwindow do for me?

ETA: I thoroughly enjoy KSP... but it's despite the instability on my system, not because of it, and I'm thoroughly envious of people that have fewer issues than i do...

Edited by MaxwellsDemon

I don't have crashing issues...

The biggest issues are Kraken attacks after using the claw... and sometimes:

I have is that sometimes after I start KSP, and load my main save game.... I get some weird viewpoint of KSC, can't click on any building, and when I go back, none of the menu options work.

-may be related to being in windowed mode... sometimes I have to click where the buttons *were* when KSP first started, and not where they display after moving the window.

Outright crashes to the desktop are very rare... they used to happen more often with a symettry bug... but I haven't had it happen since 1.0

Yes! Yes you are.

Okay, now that I've read the actual post... xD

I advise not installing more than a half dozen mods at once - particularly when dealing with something that adds a lot of parts, such as KW Rocketry or B9; and not playing more than a few hours at a time without closing and restarting KSP.

Also, quicksave OFTEN. Even if you're hardcore and never want to actually use a quicksave, you should still be saving so that when it crashes sooner or later you don't lost more than a few minutes of progress. KSP, like most software, tends to bug out everywhere other than the save function much more often than it bugs out in the save function.

No it wont. It has been getting steadily worse with each update now due to squad adding more and more stuff without actually fixing the leaks or optimizing the code.

How exactly will the new update where they add even more parts that will always be loaded into your ram solve anything?

I don't have crashing issues...

The biggest issues are Kraken attacks after using the claw... and sometimes:

I have is that sometimes after I start KSP, and load my main save game.... I get some weird viewpoint of KSC, can't click on any building, and when I go back, none of the menu options work.

-may be related to being in windowed mode... sometimes I have to click where the buttons *were* when KSP first started, and not where they display after moving the window.

Outright crashes to the desktop are very rare... they used to happen more often with a symettry bug... but I haven't had it happen since 1.0

Oh... I count the times when the game hangs and is unresponsive as "crashes." No, I can't recall actually being crashed out to the desktop.

Mine crashes a fair bit as well. Can't figure out why though. :confused:

It may be time for you to use lesser graphics settings. Lighting takes out a massive hunk of memory, even on my 16GB RAM i7 Quad-core processor computer...

Trust me, no one likes to admit defeat, but if it means you can succeed in your space program more often, well...............

Happy Flying

YargJay9991

Yes. Abandon designs over 150 parts until 1.1 (if then). And alt-tab now and then to check task manager. If memory use is over 3gb, that is a good time for a controlled restart.

My KSP never crashes - but only because I restart it before I know it's going to. The memory crash is a hard, guaranteed limit - so avoid it :)

I'm not experiencing too much issue, and my PC is nothing to brag about, which of course doesn't invalidate your issues. On my 1.004 play, I've only had one CTD and half a dozen Kraken attacks with one particular ship (cargo/service bays and klaw related I think), but mostly it's been fine. Some mods (like running Visual Enhancements without Texture Manager) do cause mem problems for me and make it much more unstable.

Try running similar ships in sandbox mode in a completely unmodded version, running without special options like x64 etc., and see if that stabilizes things. If it does, it could be mod related.

(btw, I'm running Win8.0 on some dinky 4 core AMD with 8 GB and a last generation DX11 compatible ATI card with updated drivers, nothing overclocked)

Edited by FyunchClick

I wouldn't be surprised if people get crashes often when using 32bit system. Usually People worry about KSP crashing after eating up 3,7-3,8GB or so memory but on a 32bit system you probably won't have even 2GB to spare for KSP.

The problem with 32bit systems is that the PCI-devices take their share of that 4GB memory space so you usually get around 3,4GB of memory to use in you operating system. Depending on devices it could be even worse.

The best you can do in that situation is to make sure there are no other non-critical processes taking memory.

No it wont. It has been getting steadily worse with each update now due to squad adding more and more stuff without actually fixing the leaks or optimizing the code.

How exactly will the new update where they add even more parts that will always be loaded into your ram solve anything?

Squad has been fixing the leaks and optimizing their code for the whole time of the development of their game. For example 1.0.4 fixed memory leak introduced in 1.0.3 :) There is plenty of information about bugfixing and optimisations in all devnotes regarding next releases. So your statement is rather invalid.

Squad has been fixing the leaks and optimizing their code for the whole time of the development of their game. For example 1.0.4 fixed memory leak introduced in 1.0.3 :) There is plenty of information about bugfixing and optimisations in all devnotes regarding next releases. So your statement is rather invalid.

As has been proven everywhere the memory leak on scene shift/relaunch is still there even though it has been around for years already. And this has been the major reason why stability keeps getting worse.

The only leaks like you said they have fixed are the newly introduced ones, which is something that was much more simple since they knew what introduced it.

If you look at new features/parts vs optimizations and bugfixing you really cannot deny that it has gotten worse performance and reliability wise.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.