Deep Diver Challenge: 1.0.5 Edition!

Nice :cool:

Do you think a Kerbin (or Laythe) submarine circumnavigation challenge would be a good thing to try? Peoples seems to like to drive around planets for days so swimming could be a thing too, only a bit less dangerous :sticktongue:

That would be nuts... If anyone is willing to subject themselves to that, I would totally make a hall of fame category for them.

1447186508-bordel.png

That would be absolutely psycho indeed, lacks a bit of open see sailing but you get to dive very deep.

And you can't mine underwater because there is no ore so you would need to have tons of fuel, go electric with rover wheels or have refuel mission.

Imagine go and drop a fuel tank to a surfaced submarine in open sea :cool:

I could start a topic and make it an independant challenge if you don't mind.

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/46/1447186508-bordel.png

That would be absolutely psycho indeed, lacks a bit of open see sailing but you get to dive very deep.

And you can't mine underwater because there is no ore so you would need to have tons of fuel, go electric with rover wheels or have refuel mission.

Imagine go and drop a fuel tank to a surfaced submarine in open sea :cool:

I could start a topic and make it an independant challenge if you don't mind.

Go for it, dude. I dunno if anybody would be crazy enough to try it, but you could totally make that happen:P

Here's something I built while tring to figure out underwater travel

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This sub went 856m down, 3.6km along, crashed into the bottom and broke apart. Jeb got flung into the air in his cockpit and bob tried to get out of the crew cabin, causing Kerbin to disappear.

From a bit of rough testing, neutrally bouyant is about 280kg/m^3

That's using the editor's 1.3m for width, which I think is rounded from 1.25m. That would make it 300kg/m^3

If you aim for this figure you should get very little force up or down when in the water, making it easier to travel.

Remember to bring some lights though, I forgot and had difficulty seeing the bottom.

This sub went 856m down, 3.6km along, crashed into the bottom and broke apart. Jeb got flung into the air in his cockpit and bob tried to get out of the crew cabin, causing Kerbin to disappear.

Yes, never go EVA underwater or you will destroy the universe.

I dont' know how many time the speed of light this is and I don't wanna know it.

Here's my atempt:

http://imgur.com/a/Abo0n

Not sure if exploding at the bottom counts, but the last one made it partially intact at 919 m.

I think you might have broken the game. I am unable to replicate what you did. Both my kerbals and command pods float. Also I am unable to maintain a speed in excess of 5m/s for more than 1sec. Even when I drop a pod into the water at 400m/s. Maybe FAR has something to do with this.

I think I beat the depth record...

I must've fallen through a crack in the seabed. The Submersa-bus is now inexorably falling toward Kerbin's watery core at 8 meters per second.

QIhc2O7.png

KAO06CB.png

I have no idea what happened, as I was AFK and asleep.

See you in about 24 hours when I figure out what happens to a Submersa-bus upon encountering a black hole.

Actually, since the G force should increase considerably, it could be significantly sooner.

Edited by Vanamonde

I think you might have broken the game. I am unable to replicate what you did. Both my kerbals and command pods float. Also I am unable to maintain a speed in excess of 5m/s for more than 1sec. Even when I drop a pod into the water at 400m/s. Maybe FAR has something to do with this.

Hmmm... Even without FAR, I can get going pretty fast, and accelerate quite quickly. Also, anything I make seems to have negative buoyancy and sinks at almost terminal velocity. Maybe my game is just broken?

I think I beat the depth record...

I must've fallen through a crack in the seabed. The Submersa-bus is now inexorably falling toward Kerbin's watery core at 8 meters per second.

http://i.imgur.com/QIhc2O7.png

http://i.imgur.com/KAO06CB.png

I have no idea what happened, as I was AFK and asleep.

See you in about 24 hours when I figure out what happens to a Submersa-bus upon encountering a black hole.

Actually, since the G force should increase considerably, it could be significantly sooner.

Now that is impressive. Were you able to reach the center of kerbin? I'm curious about what it's like down there

Edited by Vanamonde

Now that is impressive. Were you able to reach the center of kerbin? I'm curious about what it's like down there

That's still hours away. According to my estimate using wolframalpha ( because doing nonlinear ODEs on my own sounds painful), it should be a 10.3 hour journey.

Or 9.3 hours from when I first made that post.

But the really interesting stuff is gonna happen later. Probably the last 2 hours or so. The predicted time to the core from half a Kerbin radius is 2.6 hours. Gravitomagnetism should become noticeable for about 6 minutes near the end, although by that point, the parts may stop holding together due to drag (100x what it is on the surface) and buoyancy differences ( also 100x what they are on the surface). Overall, I suspect that by the time it reaches 100 km from the core, the floaty parts will break off and float up towards the surface, possibly towards a continent.

Edited by Pds314

Wait, so you're saying the pressure actually increases as you go deeper below the surface? I know that's what happens in real life, but I didn't think it would be modeled in KSP.

No. The gravity does. The water should be constant density, but buoyancy is proportional to gravity.

- - - Updated - - -

Proof that Kerbin's gravity increases with depth. Under these conditions (not the previous photographic ones), it previously had a terminal velocity of 8.5 m/s. Now, it has a terminal velocity of 9.2 m/s. EUREKA!

lPHWU4G.png

Feel those 1.27 Gees of gravity! Minutes after this screenshot, I reached the same distance below sea level that space is above it. The Submersabus's Journey to the center of Kerbin is well underway.

Those times I mentioned earlier are no longer accurate, as I just disabled cockpit torque and the angle changed, increasing the speed by about 9%. It went from 9.4 to 10.3 m/s.

Made some more optimizations. It now prefers pointing directly retrograde and is falling at 13.6 m/s.

Higher-speed trajectory: eGKqMpy.png Basically, I used trim with cockpit torque and then disabled the elevator's pitch response. I then used the state button to make it locked in that position.

100,000 meters BSL.

Sx31nP8.png

I take a look back at the runway. A place which it is unlikely any of these Kerbals will ever see again. Even if I were to jettison the ore and start floating upward, it is doubtful that contact with the surface would result in a survivable outcome, especially if that contact occurs over land.

You will also note the G-meter. 1.44 Gees is noticeable.

Edited by Pds314

At this exact depth is 1.7 Gees. Beyond this, the gravity is harsher than the surface of Eve, or any other world. The distant runway is visible against the deep blue background.

3u9Ckrd.png

This is, to the meter, the point at which the gravity is double sea level. Things are probably a bit uncomfortable in the cabin, and there is only more of the crushing blue abyss to go.

vJZwRg9.png

On with my journey to the center of Kerbin.

Edited by Pds314

Wow, Pds314 might even reach The Singularity at the center! Infinite gravity!

Unlikely that the ship will reach the singularity intact. Differential bouyancy, drag, or gravitomagnetism should tear apart anything within several kilometers of the core. I suspect that the ore tanks will fall off at something like 100 kilometers above the core.

At 300 kilometers, the gravity will be 4 G. Some of the parts will probably begin to stretch and put stress on the attachment points.

At 200 kilometers, the gravity will be 9 G. It's important to remember that this thing isn't light. It masses in at 35.48 tonnes. While it is supported more evenly than it would be on the ground, it is still possible for the weights to sag or fall off.

At 150 kilometers, the gravity will be 16 G. Many planes would fall apart at this point.

At 120 kilometers, the gravity will be 25 G. I've made planes that could live through that, but it's not easy.

At 100 kilometers, the gravity will be 36 G. The weights may well fall off by this point, causing the craft to float upward, perhaps inducing a violent chain reaction that rips all the ore tanks off or even rips the craft to bits.

At 60 kilometers, about half a meter per second squared of difference between the acceleration of the nose and tail will be present, make the craft magnetize up-down to some extent. If the craft survives to this depth, it will be under 100 G, and will probably be falling at about 100-120 m/s. I really don't expect it to make it to this point.

At 30 kilometers, gravitomagnetic sheer is equivalent to a gentle spin with almost a Mun Gravity at each end. Total gravity is 400 G. Gravitomagnetic polarization should be quite evident here if the craft survives.

At 15 kilometers, gravitomagnetic sheer causes about 2.6 G of difference across the ends of the craft. It will be falling at > Mach 1 at sea level by this point, with just seconds before reaching the core. There's no way it's gonna survive 1600 G or interaction with the water via drag though.

At 6 kilometers, 40 G of gravitomagnetism ensures that the craft, now at about a kilometer per second, is experiencing truly nauseating forces. It won't matter though, because 10000 G has easily turned the craft to pulp by this point, and even if it were intact, it's now 2.9 seconds from terminal impact.

Edited by Pds314

Unlikely that the ship will reach the singularity intact. Differential bouyancy, drag, or gravitomagnetism should tear apart anything within several kilometers of the core. I suspect that the ore tanks will fall off at something like 100 kilometers above the core.

Or depending on how your time-ticks align with the position of the singularity, you might be catapulted into space at many times the speed of light!

Or depending on how your time-ticks align with the position of the singularity, you might be catapulted into space at many times the speed of light!

Maybe individual parts, but according to my calculations, by the time the ship is 1 time tick from the core, it would be 700 meters away and experiencing so much force on its different components that even the gravitomagnetism, 25000 G difference from top to bottom, would surely rip it to pieces. The actual gravity at that height is a formidable >700000 G. The speed of the craft, through water, mind you, is 8 KILOMETERS PER SECOND. I suspect it would simply melt at that point.

Reaching the singularity is probably not gonna happen except to individual debris items that exceed the density of water, in which case, yeah, they could well be thrown off into space at ludicrous speed.

Something else that could happen with tick alignment though, is force exaggeration. Basically, once I start going above a certain speed, the instantaneous slowing from the water in one tick is enough to make me go backwards at a higher speed, and then forwards at an even higher speed, and then backwards and forwards and backwards so hard that every part is shot into deep space at a great multiple of the speed of light.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.