Halp me decide please!

quasarrgames

Should i download 1.0.5?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Should i download 1.0.5?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Bananas!

Thank you for clicking this. You are probably a nice person.

So, i'm torn wether to upgrade to 1.0.5 or not, so i've made this lil poll for any nice people who could help me decide.

Here's what i gathered:

[B]Pros[/B]
-WATERRR!!!!!!!!:)
-new textures and vector look very tasty
-if you upgrade you'll be with everybody else

[B]Cons[/B]
-reentry heat is worse
-jet engines were pitifully nerfed AGAIN! :mad:
-no more fighter jet cockpit (or is there?)
-game is apparently slower now
-dont care for any of the "new and slower!" jet engines

So, based on your experience with 1.0.5, if you could vote, that would help me a lot. Thanks! :)

It's all a matter of personal preference, but bear in mind that when the 1.1 update comes (which will bring performance improvements, x64 support, and a whole bunch more good changes), it will have all the changes made in 1.0.5 in it as well, so it could be argued that you may as well begin adapting to them sooner rather than later. I personally quite like the new update, the water physics are very cool, as seaplanes and submarines are now more possible than they were previously.

[quote name='quasarrgames']
[B]Cons[/B]
-reentry heat is worse
[/QUOTE]

No. No it's not. It is hotter and thus harder. But not worse. I would say it's better because it prevents stupid reentrys and actually makes you design your ship for reentry purposes...

Actually as I think about it 1.1 should be the most painless upgrade to date.
Considering it is a 64 bit version it should be installed in its own directory. (can anyone confirm this)
Therefore you should be able to run either 1.05 or 1.1 as they should be independent of each other.
So go ahead and update and start playing it will give you time as you wait For mods to transition over to 1.1.

[quote name='quassarrgames']
-no more fighter jet cockpit (or is there?)[/QUOTE]
The Mk.I cockpit now looks like a Learjet cockpit, but all hope isn't lost if you love fighter jet cockpit aesthetics. The Mk.I inline cockpit still has a bubble canopy and an at-least decent (depending on your tastes) fighter jet cockpit look, so use it if you like the look of a fighter jet cockpit on your crafts. In addition, if you enjoy fighter jets, the new Panther jet engine has many similar properties to that of a fighter jet engine, and it also functions as a middle ground between a low-speed subsonic turbofan engine and a high-speed turbo ramjet engine (when using the afterburner).

I'm playing with 1.0.5 career mode now and here are my takes.

[COLOR=#333333]-reentry heat is worse

Reentry IS a lot trickier, I'll admit, it has caused me to loose one kerbal in my hard mode game. It's not that its hotter, its that the upper atmosphere is thicker - you get that heat higher up - but far more misguiding is that the atmosphere is actually thinner nearer ground level. It doesn't slow heavy craft down enough to deploy parachutes on its own, so you end up needing an alternative; make lighter reentry craft, engine brake, or use drogue chutes or airbrakes. I like it, because it's more realisitic and makes me work a little harder to design things, and to certify them kerbal-safe. :)
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]-jet engines were pitifully nerfed AGAIN! [/COLOR]:mad:

Jets really don't need to be super powerful to make a plane fly. Now the engines and intakes are optimized for different speeds - subsonic and supersonic. But they need far less intake air to work. So you can make really good supersonic jets without spamming shock cones. Space planes, if you're into them, will be trickier, but mostly because of the thicker midrange atmosphere. Drag is more of a concern than ever, but it's actually possible to build spaceplanes sooner because the panther is actually quite good, before you even unlock the ramjet. The ramjet and the aerospike now unlock together, and the aerospike is even better than it used to be.

[COLOR=#333333]-no more fighter jet cockpit (or is there?)

They did replace that one cockpit with one that looks less like a fighter cockpit, true. People have made mods to re-include the old parts. If you miss it, you can find them still.
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]-game is apparently slower now

Haven't noticed. If you use a ton of mods, maybe, but I think that complaint is from the 10% of people who squeeze every iota of performance out of the game. It's now got better heat physics and time-warp physics are more accurate. For casual gaming purposes I haven't noticed anything slower at all.
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]-dont care for any of the "new and slower!" jet engines

Moar boosters. :) I like the progression of jet engines better, though.

Give it a try. If you have the disk space, you can even copy your current game directory before you update, so you can have your old game still if you don't like 1.0.5. Just r-click on the folder "Kerbal Space Program", copy, and paste it somewhere else on your computer, rename it to KSP 1.0.4. And then you can update without fear of losing anything.[/COLOR]

1. I clicked "yes" before reading the OP. I regret nothing about this.
2. I really wanted to click "Bananas," but unfortunately if I did that I couldn't also click "yes."
3. Now that I've actually read your post:

- Reentry heat is somewhat worse, but remember it did get nerfed in 1.0.2 or somewhere around there. It's still quite manageable.
- The jet engines still seem to work fine for me. I've had other, bigger problems making me have to redesign my planes.
- Yes. The old fighter cockpit is gone, and that is sad, but I wouldn't sacrifice an update over it. And surely there is or will very soon be a mod to restore it a la Kerbal Historical Society.
- Game seems about the same for me. The difference is imperceptible. That said, computers vary and thus so does performance.
- Admittedly the Panther doesn't live up to the hype IMO, but the Juno has its uses, and the uh... what was the big one again? Whatever. It's the big one! And it's not like they took away the old engines we know and love - they just repainted them a bit.

[quote name='Red Iron Crown']Just for fun, compare the cfgs for the existing jet engines in 1.0.4 to the 1.0.5 cfgs for the same engines. :)[/QUOTE]

^ This.
The engines do what they did before and now need less intakes to do it. On the down- side, they bumped the Whiplash up to tech level 8, but to make up for that they introduced the Panther at tech level 6. You can make a respectable spaceplane with a Panther if you know your stuff.

Best,
-Slashy

Download it, absolutely. I download every version of KSP as it comes out. However, I also keep multiple instances of KSP going, too. I still have a v0.23 game with a nice little base on Minmus that I revisit now and then. I do the same thing with mods, I create folders for each version of KSP, so I've one for mods that I used with 0.29, another for 0.9m andother for 1.0, etc. Just because you download 1.05 doesn;t mean you HAVE to give up on any earlier version that you;re playing - you can run both, or several (as I do).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.