Claw module in multiple directions?

Hi, I'm wondering if it's possible to have a Claw on an object that faces multiple directions. A pic would explain why and what I'm trying to accomplish.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/z81Z3JQ.jpg[/img]

So this probe has spikes all around it. I want it to be able to stick to asteroids in multiple directions. Is this is even possible to do? I'm not familiar with the way the claw works. :P Edited by tygoo7

First- I really want to applaud you capturing the spirit of Kerbalism with that part. I laughed pretty hard when I saw it.

Second - I don't KNOW the answer to your question, having not tried, but... as a general rule... you can have multiple copies of the same module in a given config file, referencing different transforms without too much conflict. You would put multiple empty game objects in your model, pointing out different directions, then copy this block over and over:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleGrappleNode
nodeTransformName = ArticulatedCap
deployAnimationController = 1
nodeType = size1
captureRange = 0.05
captureMinFwdDot = 0.866
captureMaxRvel = 1
}

changing "nodeTransformName = " to point at your multiple transforms and tweaking the other parameters as required. Now... I think there's a definite upward limit to the lag you want to induce with this method... Soooo you want to find the absolute minimum number of repetitions that gives you good results... maybe with upping the capture Range to make it more forgiving.... I personally would HOPE that pointing six directions was enough... but I've got no idea, really!

Please let us know what you find out when you try it!

haha awesome part!

you can adjust these parameters for the part to stick to things more readily
captureRange = 0.05 // maximum distance the part will start to attach, in meters
captureMinFwdDot = 0.866 // cosine of the angle (degrees) away from Normal vector the part will start to attach. 1 is dead on; 0 is everything in the hemisphere of the grapple node. (+Z direction IIRC)
captureMaxRvel = 1 // maximum speed for the part to attach, bounces off at higher relative velocity

I don't know whether I want it to be used for good... like flinging it at vessels that managed to get launched without their own solar panels... or evil... like, flinging it at someone else's vessel to grab on, drain all of their fuel and mono-prop, then release and zip away.

[quote name='nli2work']haha awesome part!

you can adjust these parameters for the part to stick to things more readily
captureRange = 0.05 // maximum distance the part will start to attach, in meters
captureMinFwdDot = 0.866 // cosine of the angle (degrees) away from Normal vector the part will start to attach. 1 is dead on; 0 is everything in the hemisphere of the grapple node. (+Z direction IIRC)
captureMaxRvel = 1 // maximum speed for the part to attach, bounces off at higher relative velocity[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'll test out some of these parameters!

[quote name='Van Disaster']Nothing to add other than that is awesome :)

What happens if you stick two together?[/QUOTE]

I gotta try that.

[quote name='artwhaley']I don't know whether I want it to be used for good... like flinging it at vessels that managed to get launched without their own solar panels... or evil... like, flinging it at someone else's vessel to grab on, drain all of their fuel and mono-prop, then release and zip away.[/QUOTE]

Hehe, I can just imagine shooting a punch of these at a space station as an attack or something.

[quote name='NecroBones']Holy crap that's awesome.

Yeah, I'd take nli2work's advice and tweak the parameters so that it can attach at wide angles, and relatively high speeds.... so that you can just fling it into things and be pretty confident that it'll stick.

Hah, I love it![/QUOTE]

That's the plan!

[quote name='Octa']A sticky ball to throw at rockets...that's what KSP is about.[/QUOTE]

Indeed.

[quote name='Van Disaster']This has inspired ideas about giant patches of velcro for docking things...[/QUOTE]

Docking ports are too mainstream, just stick one of these on your ship and you're good to go.

• 3 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.