The HA Mk13k MiniJet challenge

Cit.Zen

challenge.jpg

Hello there fellow aerospace engineers, here is a little challenge for you to keep your brain busy during the weekend :)

During the early stages of the space race between USA and USSR, both nations put their top minds on designing jets to brake speed and altitude records,
eventually it brought them both to a new dawn of espionage, using high altitude spy planes, on some of which there are many heroic stories, and even some great movies.

So... the "High Altitude Mark13k MiniJet" (HA Mk13k MiniJet) is a tiny low tech jet which, so far i could only bring it to about 12.000 meters at about 200ms.
Your mission (or challenge) is to brake new records with this little thing, both altitude and speed.
It doesn't have to be effective altitude, you don't have to maintain it, only reach it.
The design is simple, you can use any amount of tier 1 jet engines, any amount of tier 1 air intakes (the once you see in the picture, frontal intakes) and any other jet parts you choose to pick. (wings etc)
The rules are simple as well, no solid boosters, no decouplers, no liquid rocket fuel or engines.

1st_place.jpg

2nd_place.jpg

3rd_place.jpg

Every percipient have to post a screenshot of his record braking speed or altitude (or both)

At the end of the race the winner will get one of those little banners with his name and his record on it

Let the race begin!

Edited by Cit.Zen

You did not say it had to be maned right? and it does not have to be able to land?

I got this 7 part ship to up to 30,323m and 522m/s

You should add maned and landing requirements, It would make this more challenging and fun!

Edited by Nefrums

On 12/28/2015 at 1:54 PM, Reactordrone said:

And at the other end of the scale this one can cruise at 15,000m and zoom up to 16,500m and is just supersonic at lower altitudes. It can also land although it's a little light on stability and control.

swallow_zpsflcz08tx.jpg

If I didn't know any better, I'd say you tried to do an all-jet variation on the B-36.

More below...

On 12/28/2015 at 8:23 AM, Nefrums said:

You did not say it had to be maned right? and it does not have to be able to land?

I got this 7 part ship to up to 30,323m and 522m/s

You should add maned and landing requirements, It would make this more challenging and fun!

I saw yours and decided to use a Mk0 tank with only 5 units of fuel in it, to see how well that worked (plus, I set the fins lower and offset them in a little). I don't think I did as well, but I can assure you, that it was going even faster when it hit the ground than the numbers you see in the last image. ;)

Teeny1_zpsipe9tlib.jpg

Going up, right after flameout.

Teeny2_zps4oqrew2s.jpg

Reaching the top of the rollercoaster.

Teeny3_zpsohrzioy2.jpg

This may sting a bit.

Edited by SSgt Baloo

ok guys first of all no mods for obvious reasons

and yeah i guess i forgot to mention, there must be a single kerbal in the jet

you can use mechjeb as its not the "best" piltot but the best design

so far, the first place goes to Reactordrone  at 16.500 meters and 306ms while Nefrum, even though he made it to 30.3 at 522ms, he did so with a tiny minimal UAV, lets see if you can make a new plane with a kerbal in it this time :)

Hmm, this allows quite a bit of freedom.

For example, this entry, while nowhere near to winning on altitude or speed, would be valid, yes?

213.7m/s in a dive (2nd pic), 10.5km altitude (26nd pic). And a loada fun. :D

craft file: click here

Edited by swjr-swis
added craft file

Ok, another uhm, unorthodox entry. Obviously both sides have to be represented to be fair.

All stock, all 0.625m intakes, cones, tanks and jets. 13280m altitude (14th pic), 323.8m/s speed (15th pic). No winner, for sure, but I'm having fun at this. :P

Craft file: click here

Edited by swjr-swis
added craft file

My entry is a bit Gerry-andersonish, and doesn't go as fast or as high as some of the others. On the runway:

OTG1_zpsk8ow7alg.jpg

OTG2_zpsqly6fyex.jpg

OTG3_zpste986uak.jpg

Here it is cresting the top of the rollercoaster:

Altitude_zpsmrkodmqo.jpg

Here it is making its speed run:

Speed_zpstiqskdbm.jpg

Oh, look! A city! (I didn't realize the mod that makes clouds did that).

Edited by SSgt Baloo

On 12/30/2015 at 4:58 AM, Cit.Zen said:

ok guys first of all no mods for obvious reasons

and yeah i guess i forgot to mention, there must be a single kerbal in the jet

you can use mechjeb as its not the "best" piltot but the best design

so far, the first place goes to Reactordrone  at 16.500 meters and 306ms while Nefrum, even though he made it to 30.3 at 522ms, he did so with a tiny minimal UAV, lets see if you can make a new plane with a kerbal in it this time :)

I don't think I'm going to be winning any altitude records (12.57km seems to be my max), but I am certain I'm winning a speed record, at least for size and number of engines (and the fact that I'm using the only intakes allowed). 

07EABF1D67EF693C0D6974435BA1D178001FD2A2

Just barely manages Mach 1 in a shallow dive, but reaches it nonetheless. Its got decent roll and pitch control (as should be expected, given its size and wings), but has a rather high takeoff speed (around 160m/s). 3 engines, 2 intakes, minimal part count (18).

On the runway:

349475128BB20C84012832D68EFFC0EA8BD34939

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.