KRRAKC - Missions of a Rescue Program - Purple, With a Chance of Deep Haze and Rain

Starhawk

RL has conspired to reduce my available KSP time at the moment.

After correcting engineering mistakes, a small amount of planning was done and it was decided to release two of the Scansats before the Station did maneuvers to rendezvous with Laythe.  The Scansats may or may not make it to their destinations without further assistance.  That small clawed tug that Joan asked Gene to send may still be necessary (and I'm sure our ingenious crew can find a use for such a thing if not).

"All right, Lury.  It's time to drop the first two Scansats." Joan said as she turned to the two senior engineers on board.
   "I'm Jacia!  She's Lury!"  exclaimed Jacia, pointing to her colleague.
   "Sorry Jacia.  You two should wear your hair differently or something.  Ready?  Release the Scansats."
   "Scansats detached ma'am.  All systems nominal.  Extending panels on Scansat1.  Activating engines.  Okay, it's hot." said Jacia.
   "Connected to Scansat2.  Panels out, engines active.  It's ready to go, ma'am." reported Lury.
   "Permission to speak freely, ma'am." inquired Jacia.
   "Granted."
   "Wooooo!  The docking ports are still where they're supposed to be.  It worked!"  she exulted.
   A small smile crossed Joan's lips as she enjoyed the triumph in the faces of her engineers.  "You are the right engineers for the job.  I'm proud to serve with you.  The kerbs that are depending on us can rest a little easier with astronauts like you behind them.  And so can I."
"Now, it's time to finish setting up and go rescue some Kerbals!"

With limited time and five seven craft to keep track of, I've made only a little progress.

AuzD71L.png

Here's a gratuitous screenshot because I like this one.

G6YxP92.png

And here's Laythe Station (lighter by two Scansats) having arrived at Laythe and completed the first contract of the mission..

4zhLvsO.png

The adventures of KRRAKC have barely begun.

Happy landings!

Very nice gratuitous screenshot! And this:

33 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

"Sorry Jacia.  You two should wear your hair differently or something.  Ready?  Release the Scansats."

reminded me I need to make some head textures with hair ribbons in different service branch colors. Anyone ever notice that they're all orange? Only one kerbelle hair ribbon should be orange :) 

lol I also tend to accept every rescue mission I see, but then I got one to rescue a Sheltop Kerman, and he was in lowish *retrograde* solar orbit. And I was playing a double-size solar system. I calculated I'd need more than 22,000 m/s to rendezvous and return, and I didn't even want to think about whether the aerobraking was possible. So I just said "nope" and reloaded.

Edited by Spheniscine

Flotilla maneuver operations have proceeded.

I thank the creator of KAC.  I don't know how I'd manage without it.

Joan's gaze turned again from the orbit depicted on her viewscreen to the deep blue moon tantalizing her.  She'd read all the reports and knew what was orbiting Laythe below her.  The Tri-Flyer had waited silently for all the long years since Kerbals had first visited the Jool system.  She could hear Val telling her about how it seemed the Tri-Flyer could glide forever in Laythe's atmosphere.  That would just have to wait.  She allowed herself one more moment and then activated the comms.

"Attention everybody.  We're just about to leave Laythe orbit.  We will set up in Jool orbit at 50 000 km.  And it's time to change this vessel's call sign.  I've given this some thought.  The Thundercraft and Firebolt remind me of ancient tales of thunder and lightning being cast down from a mountain top.  Also to ease the minds of those kerbs who come up a little short and need our help I've decided to dub our new home - Whoopstooshort Base.  Although it's a serious job we have to do, a little whimsy can help remind us to keep the right attitude."

Here's a shot of Laythe Station just before release of the third Scansat, renaming, and ejection from Laythe orbit.

WWpxcJM.png

Whoopstooshort Base is now in Jool orbit at 50 000 km.  Scansats have been set up at Laythe, Tylo, and Pol so far.  The Science Lander, Firebolt Module, and Thundercraft Module are 25d, 34d, and 55d from their Tylo encounters and resultant Jool captures.  The Jool Miner is on its way to a Pol encounter.

I promise we'll start some rescues soon. :)

Happy landings!

On 2016-03-05 at 7:22 PM, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Have a replike for that reference. :) 

I couldn't help but think about Thunderbirds when I started pondering a rescue based mission series.  There are some extremely cool replicas of the Thunderbird ships on the forum, posted recently I think.

On 2016-03-05 at 8:14 PM, Geschosskopf said:

Heheh, I figured you were going to KAS it.

I'm running very few mods right now actually.  Just Scansat, KAC, KER, EE, RSC Build Aid.  I think that's it.  Looks like everything is working properly.  I've had a chance to test docking a ship to those ports and there was no problem.

I really want to try out KAS one of these days...

On 2016-03-07 at 7:53 AM, Spheniscine said:

lol I also tend to accept every rescue mission I see, but then I got one to rescue a Sheltop Kerman, and he was in lowish *retrograde* solar orbit. And I was playing a double-size solar system. I calculated I'd need more than 22,000 m/s to rendezvous and return, and I didn't even want to think about whether the aerobraking was possible. So I just said "nope" and reloaded.

Now that one is pretty insane.  I'd probably have to take on the challenge and try it if I got such a contract.  I don't know for sure how it would turn out, though.

On 2016-03-09 at 6:14 AM, Kuzzter said:

Not to mention the right altitude :) 

I do so enjoy your puns. :)

I've made some progress (holy maneuver nodes, battbot) and the pieces are beginning to finally come into place.

Happy landings!

So, managing flotilla operations entering Jool is somewhat like a hybrid of billiards and three-dimensional chess.

There's the core of Whoopstooshort Base, the Science Lander, the Jool Miner, the Firebolt Module, the Thundercraft module and four Scansats. There were an enormous number of maneuvers and I had to be sure to set an alarm for each one and then jump to whichever craft needed attention next.  Over and over and over.
All four Scansats have been dropped.  Three are already gathering data, while the fourth is still on its way to Pol.  The Jool Miner is also on its way to Pol.  It, the Science Lander, the Firebolt Module, and the Thundercraft Module have yet to rendezvous with Whoopstooshort Base.

"Jool Miner to Whoopstooshort Base."
    "Joan here, Obemy.  Report."
    "We have captured into orbit around Pol at 25 km.  We have just under 400 m/s in the tank.  Should be plenty."
    "Very well.  I know how hard you trained for this, but I want you to be careful, rookie."
    "With all due respect, Ma'am, I was part of the Eve mission."
    "Oh yeah, that's right.  You were on the B-team with Jeb.  You guys landed on Gilly, didn't you?  And did Jeb spend much time sharing his piloting expertise with you?"
    "Uh, well, he told a lot of stories involving imminent destruction of a craft which he managed to avert just in time...  No, I guess not too much expertise shared."
    "Well, having landed on Gilly, you should have the stomach for low-G ops, at least.
Now, Pol's surface is very uneven and heavily sloped.  Also, there are enormous mineral spires protruding from the surface.  And the lighting is quite tricky out here.  It can be very dim."
    "That won't be a problem, Ma'am.   I'm not too partial to bright light."
    "... Right.  Commence landing as soon as you're ready.  How's your engineer?  Is she ready for mining ops?"
    "Well, Dabelle (isn't that a pretty name?) is the second most qualified engineer in KRRAKC.  Only Bill has more experience.  And, she's done lots of mining and refining, so she's ready, aren't you Dabelle?"
    "Oui!  I am very much looking forward to zees.  Ready to begin mining and refining, Madame."
    "Excellent.  Load all tanks to the brim and head back to base.  I want to begin refuelling immediately."

EToz2qZ.png

Three days later...
    "Jool Miner to base."
    "Whoopstooshort base, Joan here."
    "The ship, equipment, and, if I may say so, crew, performed beautifully.  We are loaded up and heading in.  I'm afraid that in the excitement we forgot to get that spacewalk around Pol in.  Sorry, Ma'am.  We'll get that next trip out."
    "Good job mining team.  Don't worry about the spacewalk.  It's fine if you get it next trip."
    "Thanks, Ma'am."
    "Merci, Madame."
    "We'll see you in about 35 days.  Joan out."

The Firebolt and Thundercraft modules are now working their way through the Jool system on their way to rendezvous.  Here are a couple of shots of the Thundercraft Module as it wends it way to base.

v1UTXHF.png

46lVred.png

We really really will get to a rescue soon.  I promise.

Happy landings!

1 hour ago, Starhawk said:

So, managing flotilla operations entering Jool is somewhat like a hybrid of billiards and three-dimensional chess.

Tell me about it.  With some juggling / plate spinning for good measure. :P

You seem to be on top of it so far, though.  Keep it up!

18 hours ago, Starhawk said:

Now that one is pretty insane.  I'd probably have to take on the challenge and try it if I got such a contract.  I don't know for sure how it would turn out, though.

What I'd really like to see you try though, is one of those "Recover <kerbal> and <their> scrap from the surface of <world>". I never dared accept those; the prospect of hover-docking with a Klaw under gravity while avoiding accidentally burning the part to a crisp via the engines, *and* making sure I don't hit so far off-center that the thrust is off-balance, scares me :P

Bonus points if it is Tylo or an atmosphered world. Even more bonus points if it's Eve.

I won't be held responsible though if it bugs out and the target scrap falls below the ground or bounces/rolls away (which I hear can sometimes happen).

Edited by Spheniscine

On 2016-03-10 at 4:08 PM, Commander Zoom said:

Tell me about it.  With some juggling / plate spinning for good measure. :P

You seem to be on top of it so far, though.  Keep it up!

Everything is moving along very nicely.  Plate-spinning indeed!

On 2016-03-11 at 4:00 AM, Spheniscine said:

What I'd really like to see you try though, is one of those "Recover <kerbal> and <their> scrap from the surface of <world>". I never dared accept those; the prospect of hover-docking with a Klaw under gravity while avoiding accidentally burning the part to a crisp via the engines, *and* making sure I don't hit so far off-center that the thrust is off-balance, scares me :P

Bonus points if it is Tylo or an atmosphered world. Even more bonus points if it's Eve.

I won't be held responsible though if it bugs out and the target scrap falls below the ground or bounces/rolls away (which I hear can sometimes happen).

We already have a 'Recover <kerbal> and her debris from the surface of Vall' (so no bonus points) contract lined up and waiting.  That doesn't mean I'm not scared.  I've just spent a bunch of time designing a brand new craft for that mission.

We will start with a slightly less ambitious rescue, however.

Happy landings!

The Jool Science Lander arrived at Whoopstooshort base and proceeded to dock.

6gWxnLF.png
3FuWU6B.png

Followed by the Jool Miner carrying fuel and ore.  Obemy expertly docked the unwieldy craft.

4mdJnJ8.png
JQEpYnT.png
5fvlEG7.png

"Attention all crew.  The last of the crew members have arrived at the base.  For the first time in over four years we are all together.  We've all trained for this.  We've travelled for years to get here.  Some of you may, nonetheless, wonder why you are here.  If you do, consider this."
    "There is a reason why we are here.  Don't you think the legends of Kerbal space exploration would love to be here?  Why do you think it's us out here instead of them?"

"Walt needs them to do public appearances?"

"No." Joan sighed.

"They know we'd be awestruck in their presence and they opted out of this mission to make it easier on us, especially the rookies?"

"No, that's not it.  What about you, ummm, science guy.  What do you think?"

"Name's Barbart, Ma'am.  Does it have something to do with how we all joined up?"

"YES. Very good, Barbart.  Every single kerb here knows the experience of being stuck, unable to return, and depending on somebody else to help get them out of the situation they're trapped in."
    "Now, we are the somebody else!  We've been on the other side of the situation and we know that we have to do whatever it takes to bring a stranded Kerbal home.  That is all."

"Attention pilots, astrogation briefing."

[Meanwhile, in the science lab]
    "What's with the pilots calling each other 'Astrogator', anyway?"
    "I don't know.  I guess it's so they can something other than 'I drove the ship.' when we get back home."
    "What?  Being part of the most advanced, most important space endeavour isn't enough for them?"
    "Well, you know how pilots are...  Not Joan, of course, but you know what I mean."

"You've had plenty of practice remote piloting the Scansats, but this will be nothing like that.  The Thundercraft Module is the biggest, most unwieldy piece of equipment included in this project.  It turns very slowly, and maneuvering thrusters waste use LFO.  Patience is one of your most important assets."
    "Obemy, you did a great job with the Miner.  I'm giving you first choice.  Will you do another rotation with the Miner or do you want to remote pilot the Thundercraft Module?"

"With gratitude, Ma'am, I'll gladly put my hand to the Thundercraft Module.  It's a beautiful ship!"

"Very well.  The rest of you, check the duty roster for your assignments."

s8Wj0Lr.png
vMfdZPx.png
X99fYez.png
O3NjYKe.png
vxULCPN.png
TBXsKhF.png

Docked!  And now, the Jool Miner, which was undocked and moved to the side during the Thundercraft Module's arrival, can now redock to the newly enbiggened station.

X773Mnp.png
c14nXjx.png
tnH8Lr7.png

And here we see the three inner moons along with Jool and Whoopstooshort Base.

YiJh4fu.png

"Joan to Engineering.  Prep Thundercraft 1-1.  I want it released within the hour."

And, finally, I've added this to the OP, but some may not have seen that, so...

Space - the Kerbal playground.  These are the voyages of a rescue space program.  It's noble mission: to explore recently visited worlds, to seek out new science and new anomalies, to boldly rescue every kerb who tries to go where they haven't gone before - and fails.

Next time - a rescue!

Happy landings!

Edited by Starhawk

Recover Gilry and her Craft from Orbit of Vall

yAUj74X.png

Whoopstooshort Base

32DJcYO.png

Joan: "Science team, what data do you have on the target?"

"We have an orbiting Scansat in addition to telemetry provided by Integrated Integrals.
The rescue target is in a somewhat eccentric Vall orbit - 82 klicks by 107 klicks.  Oh, but this Gilry didn't make it easy.  Her orbit is 20 degrees inclined - from retrograde."

Joan: "Have you got that, Obemy?"

"I sure do, Ma'am.  It figures that the first one couldn't be simple."

Joan: "Engineering, is the Thundercraft ready?"

"Yes Ma'am.  All pre-flight checks completed.  Prepared for release and power up."

Joan: "Good work, engineers.  Release Thundercraft 1-1!"

"Craft released.  Battery connection activated, monoprop pumps powered up,  reaction wheel powered up, LFO pumps active, engine engaged.  It's almost ready.  We can extend the photovoltaics as soon as the craft is clear of the Base."

Joan: "Take it, Obemy."

"Aye aye, Ma'am.  RCS on, thrusting forward and away."

Joan: "All right.  It's clear.  Engineering, extend the panels.  Obemy, you may begin maneuvers."
ORcM08s.png

So this is a Thundercraft 1.  A simple and dependable craft which can grab a chunk of debris containing a soon-to-be-rescued Kerbal and return them to Kerbin.
It has 3769 m/s without cargo.  There are 120 units of monoprop on board, and 1015 units of electric charge storage.  The ship is, of course, equipped with a heatshield and parachutes for the final phase of the rescue and recovery.

It is controlled by a RC-001S probe core and that's the only reaction wheel aboard.   The overkill in the monoprop is to allow for RCS-aided rotation to assist the relatively underpowered reaction wheel.

The pilots have been assured that many of the modules they will be recovering will have their own reaction wheels, 'which will help'.

Here's the retrograde encounter and the capture maneuver plotted.  You can see we'll have a nice, distant DN to adjust our inclination the remaining 20 degrees.
FGAa02h.png

And here's the orbit after matching planes and adjusting periapsis just to the altitude of the target orbit.  The maneuver to set our rendezvous is plotted.  The 147 m/s burn will leave us with a very close rendezvous and a reasonable velocity matching burn when we get there.
dPVf6Pz.png

And the rendezvous is set.
pHMUSYx.png

And there she is.
xN0JNOx.png
Fuiz26S.png

Got her!   Now all we have to do is get her home.
Y6RcXMZ.png

Transfer window planner says we can leave right away.  Here's the ejection maneuver from Jool.  The burn will cost 1350 m/s and we have over 2600 m/s on board.
WnXantU.png

She's on her way.  We'll be out of Jool SOI in 59 days.  Once we are in solar SOI we'll set up a mid-course correction to fine tune our Kerbin periapsis.
kLQYDPg.png

Well, she's mostly rescued. :)

Next time, some 'concerns' and some new equipment for KRRAKC.

Happy landings!

Edited by Starhawk

Out of replikes, but we never run out of comments! Very well done on what I would call a 160 degree inclined orbit. Good thing it was Vall and not Tylo :)  So are you finding that the photovoltaics are working OK out there at Jool? Not that those crafts are needing a lot of power, of course--you're not running life support at 0.5 EC/sec per kerbal or doing heavy mining--but I am basically not bringing anything but nuclear power out there and so am wondering how you're faring :) 

Quite correct about the orbit.  I just wanted to have the character say it that way for effect.

The Thundercraft 1 has a fair bit of overkill.  Those are four Gigantors (yeah, overkill) because I wanted to be able to operate as far out as Eeloo and not worry about power.

The Science Lander runs on a single RTG, the Jool Miner is all run on fuel cells (with four tiny Ox-stats in case of emergency.).  The base itself has both panels and RTGS.  I wanted to make sure I could keep all those lights on all the time.  :)

Each of the Scansats also has four Gigantors.  They are mounted so close together that the corners clip into each other a bit when the sun is directly forward or aft, but I figured I needed that many to keep the satellites scanning even on the dark sides of the moons.  With the Scansat mod, it takes time to build up the satellite picture, and if your satellite loses power, you have gaps in the map.

Holy Moho those are big rockets... Mort must had a lot of seizures. And he probably defanstrated some one.

de·fen·es·trate
dēˈfenəˌstrāt/
verb
  1. 1
    rare
    throw (someone) out of a window.
    "she had made up her mind that the woman had been defenestrated, although the official verdict had been suicide"
  2. 2
    informal
    remove or dismiss (someone) from a position of power or authority.
    "the overwhelming view is that he should be defenestrated before the next election"

Basically it means to throw someone out a window.

1 minute ago, max_creative said:

Holy Moho those are big rockets... Mort must had a lot of seizures. And he probably defanstrated some one.

Why thank you max_creative.  Wait 'til the last piece of Whoopstooshort Base arrives.  It'll be even bigger.  Absolutely ordinary-sized relative to Intrepid, though.

1 minute ago, max_creative said:

Basically it means to throw someone out a window.

Yes, it does.  As it happens, I was aware of that.

Happy landings!

1 minute ago, Starhawk said:

Why thank you max_creative.  Wait 'til the last piece of Whoopstooshort Base arrives.  It'll be even bigger.  Absolutely ordinary-sized relative to Intrepid, though.

Yes, it does.  As it happens, I was aware of that.

Happy landings!

I thought whoopstooshort was a mountain in duna ore bust. Happy landing lithobraking breaking

5 minutes ago, max_creative said:

I thought whoopstooshort was a mountain in duna ore bust. Happy landing lithobraking breaking

Yes it is - in the Kuzzterverse and, I suppose, in my kerbalverse as well.  I named my new base after that mountain.

Happy landings!

6 minutes ago, max_creative said:

I thought whoopstooshort was a mountain in duna ore bust. 

I hereby grant Mr. Starhawk license to use anything he likes from my stories. Also I'm betting he knows that fenêtre is French for 'window', from the Latin fenestra.

10 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

I hereby grant Mr. Starhawk license to use anything he likes from my stories. Also I'm betting he knows that fenêtre is French for 'window', from the Latin fenestra.

Oh ha ha! I wonder what defenestrate in French is... So Clauselle would [insert French for defenestrate] [insert kerbal] out the fenêtre? Awesome!

Edited by max_creative
You should add that to a jool odyssey kuzz!

5 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

I hereby grant Mr. Starhawk license to use anything he likes from my stories.

Why, thank you Mr. Kuzzter.  That's very kind of you, indeed!

5 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Also I'm betting he knows that fenêtre is French for 'window', from the Latin fenestra.

One of the things I do remember from my grade-school and junior high French classes way back in the dim mists of time is "Ouvrez la fenetre.  Ferme(fermez?) la porte."

Happy landings!

1 minute ago, Starhawk said:

Why, thank you Mr. Kuzzter.  That's very kind of you, indeed!

One of the things I do remember from my grade-school and junior high French classes way back in the dim mists of time is "Ouvrez la fenetre.  Ferme(fermez?) la porte."

Happy landings!

I will like this post tomorrow because I'm out of like today

happy landing lithobraking with explosions rapid unscheduled disassembles!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.