Anyone Else Recently Build A Bad@** PC in Reponse to upcoming 1.1?

scribbleheli

I got a nice bonus coming from work for doing a good job the previous year.  I have to get clothes and stock the pantry up a bit so it doesn't look so bare, and I promised the lady dinner and a camping trip, but some could be left enough for me to get a good mobo, proc, and card.  So... maybe.   Maybe I'll have something better I can use to make bigger big stuffs.

No promises, other than the promise I'll try to work it so it can happen.

Holding out for finishing my studies (August hopefully).

My current PC is 9 years old, sounds like a vacuum cleaner (especially in summer) and I get unpleasant frame rates on ships over 200 parts even when overclocking at 3.5ghz.

I've been pretty happy with the longevity I've had out of it. Though I must say that buying a core 2 quad was a pointless exercise in 2007.
I ended up changing the CPU from a Q9450 2.66ghz (clocked at 3ghz) to an e8500 3.16ghz (clocked at 3.5ghz when weather permits). This was a $15 upgrade that worked brilliantly for KSP.

The plan for the next build, is to go a tad idiotic and buy far more power than I'll need. Leaning toward a CPU with a base clock of at least 4ghz.
That way I have a good amount of performance without worrying about overheating.

I didn't buy it for 1.1 tho. It was for 1.0.5 (couldn't wait)

• S34E790C 34in Ultra Wide Monitor.
  • Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
  • GTX 980 GAMING GeForce GTX 980 4GB
  • Corsair CH-9000116-NA K70 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
  • Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse
  • Corsair Gaming MM600 Double-Sided Aluminum Core Gaming Mouse Mat
  • Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick

L2EDZ3B.jpg

I am personally running i5 4690 k and msi z97s and GT 730 (and yes I will buy myself a better gpu) and 16 gb ram and. Kingston 120 gb ssd for my stuff. Running win 10. Also getting a mic for it.

15 hours ago, 322997am said:

I am personally running i5 4690 k and msi z97s and GT 730 (and yes I will buy myself a better gpu) and 16 gb ram and. Kingston 120 gb ssd for my stuff. Running win 10. Also getting a mic for it.

If you need a decent cheap mic, Zalaman makes a really reasonable clip-on mic for about $10.   Works well, especially if you have a nice set of headphones already.

14 minutes ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

What would one look for in a CPU for the best single threaded performance? I ask because 1.1 will use a single thread for the physics on each ship.

Intel i5 "K", overclock it as high as you can.

i7 brings you nothing over and above that for single-threaded tasks, i3 can't be overclocked. AMD aren't even on the board with regards to this particular task. And of course, avoid laptops. Laptop CPUs just don't cut it if you're actually looking for peak performance. Proper desktop components all the way :)

Still running an i5 2500K from ~2012 myself. Overclocked to 4.4GHz, nothing on the market offers sufficiently better performance to be worth the money. Really dull in the CPU market of late :/

Edited by eddiew

So just looking around and it seems that I'm hampered by the same thing that caught me out last time.

Last time DDR3 was too rich for my blood, this time DDR4 is the same.

Looks like the 4790k is the CPU of choice (no DDR4 anyway right?) but being in Australia that means $$$ at the moment.

Good thing I have a few months to go on the studies, then I'll have a nice reimbursement payment from work!

I have a Sandybridge-E 3820 running at 4200mhz with 32 gigs of RAM - it's about four years old now, and I'm not going to spend another fifteen hundred (it's probably 3k now, thanks to the dollar difference) to lose 20% performance. :P

(got the lil lady a 6600k@3500 and it's 20% slower on general integer-fp performance.  Using lookup tables reverses and doubles the difference to 40%, but nobody uses lookup tables anymore, even if they are twelve times faster)

I recently got this system because my laptop died (but then I revived it after doing some dissection and replacing...):

Core I5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz w/ Asus Z170 Pro Gamer

MSI GTX 970

250Gb adata SSD w/ 1tb Hardrive

All in all, I expect it to run KSP very well when the time comes.

Just ordered my I7 - 4790K 4.0 replacement CPU, can try getting my main rig back together when it arrives.

I hear ya KT, my main rig died 6 months ago, got new MB and video card thru EVGA RMA, didnt cost me, but the MB socket change meant I had to save for a new CPU.

Not bad when it eliminates the CPU or mainboard broke question ... and upgrades the computer in all.

Edited by RW-1

1 hour ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

What's the difference between the  CPU's in that range (i5 2xxxk)?

My goodness, it's gonna be half what I paid to build my entire PC for a new CPU ;.;

Only the K variants can be overclocked, so anything else isn't in contention for being fast :)

The most current i5 is the "Skylake" 6600K. There are older models (4650K, 3770K, and 2500K), but there's really no compelling reason to buy older kit, since the 6600K is the best - but the margin is only about 25%, which is why a lot of people who already own the older CPUs simply haven't bothered upgrading them.

Advice 
If you're not confident with hardware, go for a 6600K, a socket 1151 motherboard, and some DDR4 memory. This will cost the most, but these components are as up to date as they come and easy to find.

What's your current system? If it's an older/slower Intel, you should be able to just drop a second hand i5 from the right generation into it :)

17 hours ago, Renegrade said:

(got the lil lady a 6600k@3500 and it's 20% slower on general integer-fp performance.  Using lookup tables reverses and doubles the difference to 40%, but nobody uses lookup tables anymore, even if they are twelve times faster)

Clock it to the same GHz as the old one and it'll prove to be faster. A 6600K at stock speeds is a sad thing to behold :) 

1 minute ago, eddiew said:

:)What's your current system? If it's an older/slower Intel, you should be able to just drop a second hand i5 from the right generation into it :)

I built it this Christmas so it's fairly recent. Not screaming in terms of performance though (~550 USD)

The CPU is an 8 core AMD (can't remember what model), I bought it with the intention of upgrading... I just realized I never considered what I'm gonna upgrade to. Oh god, intel CPU's use a different socket don't they? Please tell me I'm wrong :(

I built it this Christmas so it's fairly recent. Not screaming in terms of performance though (~550 USD)

The CPU is an 8 core AMD (can't remember what model), I bought it with the intention of upgrading... I just realized I never considered what I'm gonna upgrade to. Oh god, intel CPU's use a different socket don't they? Please tell me I'm wrong :(

I could tell you, but then I'd be L Y I N G ..... Of course they're different silly! :)

Here's one to toss out to the masses, I had three corsair memory DDR3 modules, for the last board was triple channel. The new one is Z97, and only has four slots, if I use the third, that would drag down performance. Do you think I can get another singe module to add to the system? 

Edited by RW-1

Sorry, but you're right. Can't put a ferrari engine in a volkswagon :)

You most likely have the best AMD can do. If it uses DDR3, then look for an intel 4690K which also does. Should be able to save some money by keeping the memory sticks :) older than a 6600K but still very strong.

29 minutes ago, eddiew said:

Clock it to the same GHz as the old one and it'll prove to be faster. A 6600K at stock speeds is a sad thing to behold :) 

Unfortunately that's unlikely - the benchmarking for the new system was done at stock clock, which is only 6%-ish faster on the older unit (3700 vs 3500 non-boost)..

On February 22, 2016 at 11:40 PM, Tig said:

If you need a decent cheap mic, Zalaman makes a really reasonable clip-on mic for about $10.   Works well, especially if you have a nice set of headphones already.

I'm getting a rerii compressor mic.

Edited by 322997am

I've just built an uber PC but it had nothing to do with the upcoming 1.1 version of KSP. Principal reason was that my existing PC was 5 years old and was struggling to play other online games at a decent fps even with the graphics settings on low. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.