I hope they never change the thermometer.

ExtremeSquared

Maybe they could have higher tech versions (deeper down the tech tree) of the science instruments that can withstand higher temps (and higher impacts, and have lower masses, & etc.), but you need to unlock them?

59 minutes ago, Overland said:

Thermometer from the kitchen section of Kmart

It's weight is 0.01 t. I'm no math expert but if my calculation is right, it's 10 kilos (22 pounds). That's the weight of a huge jug of wine where I'm coming from. I'm starting to suspect that Kerbals use the thermometer parts to smuggle booze to space..

2 hours ago, Evanitis said:

It's weight is 0.01 t. I'm no math expert but if my calculation is right, it's 10 kilos (22 pounds). That's the weight of a huge jug of wine where I'm coming from. I'm starting to suspect that Kerbals use the thermometer parts to smuggle booze to space..

That's the magnet on the back.

My guess would be it's 9.9kg of sophisticated electrooptical equipment. Its not easy to get telemetry from kitchen thermometer you know. I imagine proper kerbal way would be something like polaroid camera, optical scanner and analog OCR system. Also some device compensating for temperature changes so that whole thing remain calibrated, which could be easily controlled by  thermistor :-)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.