Corrupt ships? Or a corrupt game? The Kraken lives at the KSC!

Career: Year 1 day 356: I have a lot going on.  Just cracked ISRU and spent a week completing two very complex ship build outs.  One, a small scale ISRU platform and two, a horizontally oriented single engine nuclear lander/rover.  Both involve a lot of complex swapping of symmetry (mirror here, radial there) sometimes symmetry wouldn’t work, and I had to manually place components.  

Did notice some weirdness in the final stages of the rover testing.  If the rover would crash, some parts would fly away seemingly unbothered by gravity.  (I always reverted to the SPH) Anyway, last night I moved the thing from the SPH to the VAB put it on a rocket, and launch it without incident.

Then I try launching the ISRU platform, and over and over again halfway up through launch it just explodes!  F3 mission report tells me that everything that was attached to the ISRU converter, or to the ore drum, just fell off!  (it also says one component splashed down hard, even though we were 10 km up)   I rearranged the platform so the ISRU components are at the top of stack, so there’s no extra weight on them, doesn’t help.

Worse yet, if I revert to launch, all or most of the rocket is invisible.  It’s still there, I can recover it for its full monetary value.  But even if I save the game, and return to it, the rocket is missing.

Then I wonder, what about the rover?  I loaded the rover in orbit, and most of it is missing, and the planet Kerbin has been replaced by a digitized white ball.

OK, the game is corrupt!  I do have a backup save, before I launched either of these ships (and several hours a lunar construction ago).  But if I load either of these ships, and then revert to launch, most of them is missing.

Are the ship’s fixable? (some method of reloading and resaving them that might fix the corruption, some utility like a “compress and repair” database function?)

If I rebuild the ships am I likely to have the same problem?  I can easily imagine them my design is so complex it’s giving the modeler fits.

Is the game trash?  Is it possible to ships are OK but the game is screwed up?

(now I’m too frustrated with this game to play it, I’ll have to find something else to do on Saturday morning!)

EDIT: UPDATE: Ships are trash. i just moved one to another (sandbox) game, same issue,

Edited by Brainlord Mesomorph

A log of these incidents would help rule out some of the possible culprits, how many mods, what mods, are they all 1.05 versions rather than patched fixed or fudged versions, I've seen most of the oddness you describe during my time in KSP and a lot of it I've caused, so post a log, let us see whats going on behinds the pixel curtain.

Sounds a bit like what happened to me in a stock game a few days ago. Report and craftfile here: http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/7287

In short: I´ve built something using different symmetry modes in the SPH, then went to the VAB to stick it ontop of the rocket. When i try to launch it, half of my craft dissappears after quicksaving and quickloading. Havn´t tested it in carrer, so i don´t know about funds, but will try.

Could you share your craft file(s) aswell?

Note: My craft won´t get anywhere near space. It was a work in progress thing at the time i found this bug.

Edit: Just tested it in career. Recovering after quickloading won´t give me all my funds back. But it shows the same behaviour as described about parts unaffected by gravity and drag after crashing and revert to launch leads to the same result as quickloading. 

Edited by rudi1291

Hi guys, I don’t think Squad needs my corrupt spaceship file, I’m sure they have plenty.

Stock game (except KAC, and hyperedit-which I never use a career game)

So, to recap, what made these ships different was

1. heavy use of multiple kinds of symmetry,

2. I rotated the root part on one of them.  This seemed to be the cause of symmetry just not working.

3.  Heavy use of alt–click to duplicate parts.  Once symmetry stopped working, I was using alt–click all over the place, and eventually noticed that it would stop working, a duplicate part just wouldn’t stick to the model.  I would have to delete it, do a save as,  reload the vehicle in the SPH.

I have now rebuilt both of these ships from scratch, seemingly without any corruption. (actually, I started to get corruption, and had to stop and go back) here’s what I did:

1.  An absolutely paranoid number of incremental saves

2. I only used one kind of symmetry.  Mirror (bilateral) in this case. (there’s not much you can do with radial symmetry that you can’t do with multiple pairs of bilateral symmetry)

3.  I avoided rotating the root part.  I made the root part the probe core, not the sideways lander can, it remained pointing forward.

4.  I stopped using alt–click.  Not at first.  I actually got to version 2C of one of the ships before alt–click started screwing up.  I stopped, tried to save and reload the ship, and I could look at it, but couldn’t click on it.  Turns out, version 2B was broken too, and I had to go back to 2A, and redo a bunch of work from there.

And I don’t tolerate any weirdness in the SPH/VAB.  As soon as anything strange happens, I stop, go back to a previous incremental save, and test the model on the launch pad, before I continue.

With those new rules I haven’t encountered any corruption (since version 2c).

I sure will be glad when this game is out of beta.

:D

Unless you post your log to dropbox or google docs nobody will be able to help you , it is not a broken craft file! it is a log of all the processes, mods and textures that are running in your unreliable game, any fault will be clearly indicated there,

But if you are prepared to go for guesses I'd say the wankalatotor is jammed against the gonglethrop and there's nothing to to about that except throw the faulty machine out of the nearest window :P

Required reading

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

2 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Unless you post your log to dropbox or google docs nobody will be able to help you ,

I’m sorry, I didn’t actually post this to the support forum.  they moved it here.  I posted in the General forum, asking if there was a ship fixing utility, and if anyone had any insight on whether my game file was corrupt or my ship files were corrupt (yes, and yes).

And (unfortunately, no one’s going to read this tucked away here in the support forum) I’ve learned to avoid multiple kinds of symmetry, and alt- clicking on the same spaceship. 

Thanks but I really wasn’t expecting “support.”

Edited by Brainlord Mesomorph

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.