Steam software - Too good to be true?

Randazzo

I want to try this, but I'm leery: http://store.steampowered.com/app/384300/

It seems way too good to be true, and the developer is actually still actively commenting on reviews. This far exceeds my expectations of indie stuff on steam, which makes me suspicious. Has anybody here tried this?

I half expect it might hijack my system somewhere down the line.

Edit: I ask because I can see potential benefit to KSP with high part count craft... but I might also be able to do that myself if I can figure out how to set core affinity in windows 10.

Edited by Randazzo

It does not do anything you cannot quickly do by hand, as it simply sets processor affinity for processes.

Most likely it won't help a damn thing, unless you are running an over-stressed browser in the background with lots of tabs open. (Which you can manually assign to a single core in the task manager of windows)

And as KSP is a single core application, it will do even less for you.

Don't forget the placebo effect on the good reviews.

7 hours ago, Daid said:

It does not do anything you cannot quickly do by hand, as it simply sets processor affinity for processes.

Most likely it won't help a damn thing, unless you are running an over-stressed browser in the background with lots of tabs open. (Which you can manually assign to a single core in the task manager of windows)

And as KSP is a single core application, it will do even less for you.

Don't forget the placebo effect on the good reviews.

Not so much. It's quick enough to set a core affinity (now that I've found it in Windows 10 under the "details" tab) for the KSP process, and another to switch that affinity off for all the other processes running.

29 minutes ago, pincushionman said:

Your OS thread manager should be handling this just fine while KSP is the active application.

That is, after all, its job.

Didn't know there was such a thing.

7 hours ago, Shpaget said:

Bigger developers tried and failed to make such software.

For $20, I'd rather buy myself a RAM stick and an icecream.

The RAM stick wouldn't help, but Ice cream does sound nice. :)

Anyway, I didn't buy it. I did have brief visions of actually running ships with many hundreds of parts without slowdown (about 180 to 200 is my upper tolerable limit right now), but I don't think this is the way to get it.

13 hours ago, kenbobo said:

My scam nose smells fishes.

AKA I wouldn't buy it.

4 hours ago, Elthy said:

Its german transaltion is full of repurposed bovine waste, definetly a scam!

Something certainly seems off with it. Perhaps just paranoia.

15 hours ago, Randazzo said:

I want to try this, but I'm leery: http://store.steampowered.com/app/384300/

It seems way too good to be true, and the developer is actually still actively commenting on reviews. This far exceeds my expectations of indie stuff on steam, which makes me suspicious. Has anybody here tried this?

I half expect it might hijack my system somewhere down the line.

Edit: I ask because I can see potential benefit to KSP with high part count craft... but I might also be able to do that myself if I can figure out how to set core affinity in windows 10.

Created an account just to respond to you.  I have been using cpucores for about 3 months with KSP and ARMA:3  and the results are very impressive. 

I've tested the software a lot and it appears to do 2 main things, though I am not sure how it works.  The first part is it changes about 100-200 different things on my computer that are running, it seems everything running on my PC get modified.  The other thing is that when I run KSP I am getting almost 20 more fps which is pretty amazing.   I have a decent computer as well and it appears to be stable and worthwhile.

27 minutes ago, ZRF said:

Created an account just to respond to you.  I have been using cpucores for about 3 months with KSP and ARMA:3  and the results are very impressive. 

I've tested the software a lot and it appears to do 2 main things, though I am not sure how it works.  The first part is it changes about 100-200 different things on my computer that are running, it seems everything running on my PC get modified.  The other thing is that when I run KSP I am getting almost 20 more fps which is pretty amazing.   I have a decent computer as well and it appears to be stable and worthwhile.

Thanks for doing that, and welcome to the forums.

If I may ask, what CPU are you running and what (if you recall) was your slowdown threshold in terms of part count before and after this software?

Edited by Randazzo

If it would work, there would be details on how it works. I cant imagine a way this could improve the power of the PC especialy with different hardware setups.

This would be technology one could sell for billions to AMD or Intel,not for a few dollars in Steam. Its allmost sure a scam, including payed reviews.

Hell, you can do the processor affinity changes with a free utility I've used for YEARS, mainly to allow older games to work with modern multiple threading/core processors.

It was designed for single--thread apps, what it does is permanently lock a specific executable to a single core (as defined by you), or even specific multiples.

If anyone's interested:   https://robpol86.com/imagecfg.html

The only thing I will warn about is ENSURE YOU MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF THE .EXE FILE YOU WANT TO CHANGE!!!!  

On 3/22/2016 at 3:28 PM, ZRF said:

...it changes about 100-200 different things on my computer that are running, it seems everything running on my PC get modified.

Ooooh! I totally want THAT to happen!

It sure sounds powerful - 20 more fps! Thats almost UNBELIEVABLE!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.