Gravity?

I'm starting a new fresh career and something is not going as it should with my KSP (Steam x64, v 1.1)

The problem is that I'm not able to open parachutes and my ships are just exploding, reaching the land at 300-400 m/s (I cannot open them due to the high speed)

the parachutes are red, even the MK12

Is there any change/issue that I'm missing? (369 hours played btw)

Its a pod mk1 with a science junior and 2 mistery goo (and 5 chutes)

Edit: managed to open mk12 at 400+ m/s and 1700 meters (weird how physics seems to work)

Edited by sinpro

The parachutes showing red means your craft is moving too fast. Normal parachutes cannot safely open above something like 260 m/s. Drogue chutes, which you can unlock a little later in the tech tree, can open safely at much higher speeds.

The most likely cause for you falling too fast is that you're trying to go straight up and back down again. If you do that, you don't spend enough time inside the atmosphere to slow down all the way. So, even if all you want is a suborbital hop, where you just peek outside the atmosphere once, you should fly sideways a bit. Get a nice big arc going over the ocean. When you're coming down at an angle, you don't lose altitude quite as fast, even if the speed of your pod is the same. So the atmosphere has more time to slow you down.

just aspargarus from ksc to 75-85 Km and then aspargarus descent (using BAAC thumper)

Thx for your answers, maybe lot of time without playing is betraying me

Edited by sinpro

well, something is wrong. Just a pod with termometer, mistery goo and ablator.

Reach 300 Km

reenter the atmosphere at 2000 m/s aprox (no aspargarus reenter, doing an arc)

hit water at 300 m/s, no posibility to slow down, open parachutes or doing anything :rolleyes:

I'll reinstall, just in case, but its really weird

my last test. just reinstalled and clean game, no mods, anything. steam x64 V1.1, sandbox game

Build a simple rocket, decouple at 120.000m, leaving just the pod MK1 (with ablator and parachute mk16)

hit ground at 305 m/s :mad: 

As I said 370 hours played, not my 1st bbq :angry:

probably it's a problem with steam 64 bits version

1st test succesfully using 32 bits version. I'll try more things just to isolate it and report if it's useful for anyone

thx for your interest

If you haven't done so already, try reducing the amount of ablator on the heatshield. I generally figure on carrying about twice what I expect to use up, no more than that. At 305 m/s, you're almost there.

well, I can confirm that 32 bits version works as usual, so it's an issue with the 64 bits version

Another weird thing that I realised is that you cannot move the window when you get science and it asks to keep, discard etc. Maybe it's a config issue, but at least I could play 1.1 in 32bits

1 hour ago, sinpro said:

Reach 300 Km

reenter the atmosphere at 2000 m/s aprox (no aspargarus reenter, doing an arc)

Post a pic of your "arc" when you do this. I suspect you're still coming in WAY too steep, as @Streetwind was talking about. Even if you just go straight up, peek out above 70 km (that is - your re-entry speed is 0 m/s) you will be going FAR too fast when you get into the low atmosphere where your chutes will even pop.

if you're getting to 300 km and going 2000 m/s when you enter the atmosphere, you must must must be going more sideways than vertical at that time. Or you are screwed.

2 hours ago, sinpro said:

Thx for your answers, maybe lot of time without playing is betraying me

How long since you've played? Do you mean "been a few months" lot of time or "since before 1.0" lot of time?

And what do you mean by "asparagus descent"?

I tried most of reentry situations and all finished in a crash @250 m/s or more

Using 32 bits version everything works well as usual, so in my case I can be sure that it,s a problem with 64b version

Aspargarus descent means descending with horizontal speed = 0m/s. My last game was when they released 1.05

I can set my post question as solved, hope it helps to anyone

6 hours ago, sinpro said:

hit water at 300 m/s, no posibility to slow down, open parachutes or doing anything

If you are around 300m/s at the moment of hitting the water you must have reentered extremely far for the atmosphere to not slow you down to 140 to 180m/s... or it was extremely steep as said before. At that speed most parachutes (with the exception of the drogue parachutes) will immediately fail (notice the parachute is going to be red, KSP is telling you not to open or the failure is guaranteed).

3 hours ago, sinpro said:

Aspargarus descent means descending with horizontal speed = 0m/s.

First time I hear about that definition. What's the origin?

Cheers!

5 hours ago, rodrigoelp said:

If you are around 300m/s at the moment of hitting the water you must have reentered extremely far for the atmosphere to not slow you down to 140 to 180m/s... or it was extremely steep as said before. At that speed most parachutes (with the exception of the drogue parachutes) will immediately fail (notice the parachute is going to be red, KSP is telling you not to open or the failure is guaranteed).

Doing exactly the same in 32bits version had not any problem, everything worked like a charm (even crazy reentries really fast and with bad angles and worked fine)

Trying any kind of reentry (different angles, speeds, etc etc) in 64bits caused the probe to crush no matter what I did,

5 hours ago, rodrigoelp said:
9 hours ago, sinpro said:

Aspargarus descent means descending with horizontal speed = 0m/s.

First time I hear about that definition. What's the origin?

It's the same that you do to land in mun or minmus but in the earth. You can do it or just use a parabolic trajectory as usual, but result should be the same

Best regards!!

Edited by sinpro

1 minute ago, sinpro said:

Doing exactly the same in 32bits version had not any problem, everything worked like a charm (ever crazy reentries really fast and with bad angles and worked fine)

Trying any kind of reentry (different angles, speeds, etc etc) in 64bits caused the probe to crush no matter what I did,

Which operating system are you using? I've been playing for the last few weeks on the 64bits Mac version and it seems alright.

3 minutes ago, rodrigoelp said:

Which operating system are you using? I've been playing for the last few weeks on the 64bits Mac version and it seems alright.

Windows 10 X64 Profesional (upgraded from Win7),  I7 6700K 4.0GHz, Nvidia GTX 980 Ti and 32 Gb RAM (my brand new pc to play Kerbal!!! jejeje)

BTW, 4k resolution is amazing, just the fonts are really small, even that you can made them bigger

25 minutes ago, sinpro said:

4k resolution is amazing, just the fonts are really small, even that you can made them bigger

There are problems with 4k displays as I've read in one of the threads.

I am going to try some reentries in the next hour to check this :P In general this shouldn't be something isolated to Windows, right?

Not sure about that, maybe. I left here my system specs, maybe anyone could test it

I'm playing fine in 32b version and just a few mods (KER, precise node and other info mods)

Edit: If someone is reading, it'd be really nice have access to the KSPedia from the mission control (contract building) to check parts before accepting a contract

Edited by sinpro

so you drop your horizontal speed to 0ms .. So you literally drop straight down from ~75-80km and wondering why you blow up? Using the 64bit version and have no issues with an reentry where the AP is at Minmius height (~46 400 KM) and a Periapsis at 25 km.. MK1 and a normal heatshield and one chute and I slow down enough to open the parachutes at like ~4k meters above the ground

And I am using KSP 1.1 x64 on Windows 10

29 minutes ago, Leeman said:

so you drop your horizontal speed to 0ms .. So you literally drop straight down from ~75-80km and wondering why you blow up? Using the 64bit version and have no issues with an reentry where the AP is at Minmius height (~46 400 KM) and a Periapsis at 25 km.. MK1 and a normal heatshield and one chute and I slow down enough to open the parachutes at like ~4k meters above the ground

As I said up, I tried a lot of reentries, with different angles and different speeds, and all finished reaching the ground @250+ m/s (no matter how I try, it always crash at ground)

And doing everything I want (even a aspargarus reentry @ 3000 m/s in 32 bits version, which should be the worst scenario possible) with ablator it reduces and it lands fine

so it means that 64b version is not working properly in my environment and 32b version works really nice (doing the same things 32b --> OK, 64b --> DEAD) :D

1 hour ago, sinpro said:

As I said up, I tried a lot of reentries, with different angles and different speeds, and all finished reaching the ground @250+ m/s (no matter how I try, it always crash at ground)

And doing everything I want (even a aspargarus reentry @ 3000 m/s in 32 bits version, which should be the worst scenario possible) with ablator it reduces and it lands fine

so it means that 64b version is not working properly in my environment and 32b version works really nice (doing the same things 32b --> OK, 64b --> DEAD) :D

Or... it means your 32bit version is not working properly for some reason and you should be dead. :wink:

Still, I'm pretty sure that "asparagus re-entry" is not a known expression, or one that actually means anything... "Powered" or "rocket-assisted" or something like that would be understandable.

17 minutes ago, Plusck said:

Or... it means your 32bit version is not working properly for some reason and you should be dead. :wink:

Then it'd mean that It hasn't been working properly in 374 hours played :D

17 minutes ago, Plusck said:

Still, I'm pretty sure that "asparagus re-entry" is not a known expression, or one that actually means anything... "Powered" or "rocket-assisted" or something like that would be understandable.

It's just an expresion (mine of course), but if you are landing or reentering in a planet with horizontal speed = 0 m/s it means its an spargarus, isn't it? 

Why? Just to test the game in the worst case scenario (it's worst way to reenter to a planet with atmosphere) and test if it fails or not :wink:

Edit: happily playing with the 32b version, thank you for all the responses :lol:

Edited by sinpro

Ok, I've tried the reentry from Minmius and accelerated towards forward to the motion (falling) to reach 3800m/s in both (mac) KSP 1.0.5 32bits and KSP 1.1 64 bits... Not surprisingly it explodes before reaching the ground as the g forces exceed 15G killing all Kerbals on both.

Spoiler

On a second try, decided to force my periapsis 25k at 3800m/s... still too fast. Everything started to work as I expected around 3500m/s (measured at 85k)...

So, I really don't understand how is working on your 32bits version :confused:

54 minutes ago, sinpro said:

It's just an expresion (mine of course), but if you are landing or reentering in a planet with horizontal speed = 0 m/s it means its an spargarus, isn't it? 

... What kind of asparagus do you eat that reenter the planet with zero horizontal velocity? Do they taste good?

Edit:

I do not know how to show the frigging images... sorry.

Edited by rodrigoelp
Apologising...

1 hour ago, sinpro said:

Then it'd mean that It hasn't been working properly in 374 hours played :D

Why? Just to test the game in the worst case scenario (it's worst way to reenter to a planet with atmosphere) and test if it fails or not :wink:

Edit: happily playing with the 32b version, thank you for all the responses :lol:

Ah ok. I think I sort of see where you're coming from. Generally people say asparagus for staging because it's like a cluster of asparagus, and you peel them off one by one (well, in pairs, but still). I don't think anyone uses asparagus to mean "bad", "shoddy", "plain daft" or "Kerbal" :wink:

But hey, language evolves...

On 23/04/2016 at 1:16 PM, sinpro said:

'Asparagus descent'

Ah, okay, you're making up new meanings to words - that's cool, language evolves, but that probably isn't going to help anyone else understand what you're talking about.  Asparagus, used elsewhere in KSP, is derived from the physical resemblance of a rocket with multiple strap-on stages to a bundle of asparagus spears (see the vegetable's wikipedia page).  Using it to describe what you have is pretty obscure and will probably just confuse everyone.

Anyway, I've certrainly not sat down and compared the behaviour of the 32-bit to the 64-bit version for given scenarios.  Having said that, I've not seen any horrible shocks to re-entries when I switched ot the 64-bit prerelease a few weeks ago. So I'm not sure what's going on here.  

I would suggest backing up your current install, and re-installing KSP into an entirely clean folder (so no left-over bits of mods, etc.) and trying your experiment again - if you still see this, you should file a bug report at http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/

Good luck,

Wemb

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.