65 members have voted

1. 1. Where should I go next?

• Moho
    • Dres
    • Jool, and any moon I can get to
    • Eeloo
    • Go to the Mun you overacheiver!
    • Go to Minmus you overacheiver!

Aurora Space Industries now looked towards Duna. They docked with the transfer stage to the lander, and waited almost a year for the Duna window, then they turned on their engine.

The Astronauts on the lander stage knew they weren't coming back, and they accepted that, after burning the engines, they began the year long cruise to Duna, when they got there, they made final preparations, retracting the solar panels, arming the parachutes, inflating the heat shield, and turning on SAS, then they entered the atmosphere right above the south pole. For a brief moment, they thought that they may crash into a crater in the south pole, but those worries were needless, they passed high above it, activating the parachutes, and they waited until they were more upright before detaching the heat shied, once they did that, they extended the landing legs, and after a blood pounding minute, they touched down on the surface, bouncing a little, and nearly tipping after the legs broke. Luckily, the amount of reaction wheels and RCS kept that from happening, and they were safely on the surface, they all got out, and made one group picture.

Everywhere on Kerbin, they celebrated, knowing that Kerbal's now occupied another world.

Edited by Spaceception

Just now, Spaceception said:

What should I do, build a space station, or Mun base?

A space station that can bring supplies for a Mun base! Sorta like the Hermes from The Martian, but it only goes between Kerbin and Mun, and can hold a bunch of supplies on its exterior.

Just now, ProtoJeb21 said:

A space station that can bring supplies for a Mun base! Sorta like the Hermes from The Martian, but it only goes between Kerbin and Mun, and can hold a bunch of supplies on its exterior.

Ya, I'm not there yet, I've only docked correctly twice :D

Just now, Spaceception said:

Ya, I'm not there yet, I've only docked correctly twice :D

A space station directly between Kerbin and Mun. This way, shipments between the two worlds can be refueled.

To get it there, first assemble the station in Low Kerbin Orbit (LKO). Then, launch a large lifter for the station (moar boosters will come in handy here) to send the rest of the space station into an orbit with a semi-major axis of about 3,000 km. Drain any remaining fuel from the lifter and jetison it.

21 hours ago, Spaceception said:

What should I do, build a space station, or Mun base?

Space Station. Then a base. If you're doing it stock which it seems like you are then bases are HARD I would use a mod like Pathinder or MKS/OKS. But I see that you say you can't. Maybe try the Lite version of MLS/OKS but that is still memory intensive so I would go for Pathfinder but that's still a bit memory intensive. But that might be the best option.  

1 hour ago, kerbalstar said:

Space Station. Then a base. If you're doing it stock which it seems like you are then bases are HARD I would use a mod like Pathinder or MKS/OKS. But I see that you say you can't. Maybe try the Lite version of MLS/OKS but that is still memory intensive so I would go for Pathfinder but that's still a bit memory intensive. But that might be the best option.  

I'm actually trying to get a base on the Mun now, but I need moar power (And some reaction wheels) to keep it from flipping out.

Everything else seems fine on it though, and I'm quite sure it has enough power to reach the Mun

18 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

I'm actually trying to get a base on the Mun now, but I need moar power (And some reaction wheels) to keep it from flipping out.

Everything else seems fine on it though, and I'm quite sure it has enough power to reach the Mun

Oh the power struggle. That I understand...

GAH!!!!

When I tried to land my Munar base, it took me 3 tries, no big, right? I quicksaved since I was going to be landing on the night side, and I turned on the lights, all was going good, until I was about to get everyone on the surface for a group space selfie.

Here's the problem;

I only had 2 Astronauts, not the 13 I made room for, PLUS Bill and Jeb were the ones on it, even though I meant them to only do Kerbin return missions, so now, I have to relaunch with the right crew :mad:

After the tremendous success of the Duna base, Kerbal's all over Kerbin told Aurora Space Industry scientists to put a base on the Mun, they took up the challenge, and put 2 new things on it, science, 3 more Kerbal's, and most importantly, someone was sleeping on the job and forgot RCS thrusters, and fuel!! The launch was tense, as the payload was very top heavy, it was a miracle they managed to get it to space, much less orbit, once in space, they set their target towards the Mun, and got a direct accent, unfortunately, the landing would be on the night side, before Kerbol set on the Mun, they extended the landing gear, turned on the lights, and hoped for the best, when they were 48 km above the Mun, and began deceleration, which ended 22 km up, it was extremely stressful, as they didn't know where the ground was, or even if it were flat, 20 km, 15 km, 10 km, 5 km, slow down to 8 m/s! and at 4862 metres, they landed, and luckily, the ground was flat!

The ASI's next target: Dres, they built an orbiter, and a powerful rocket underneath, and launched, unfortunately, when they were approaching Dres, they realized they wouldn't have the fuel for an orbital incursion burn, so they decided to Impact Dres instead, they attempted to slow down, but they turned on the engines to late.

Yesterday, I decided to cheat, and I built a small rocket that carried Jeb to Duna and back with infinite fuel/electricity, and no overheating.

Finishing the mission didn't feel good though, so I guess I'm just not going to cheat anymore, or only for testing.

2 hours ago, DaMachinator said:

How on earth did you manage to land to land a rover? I always end up lugging a few tons of RocketParts and building it in-situ with Extraplanetary Launchpads.

How did I land a manned rover on the Mun?

First I slowed down all of my lateral velocity, then I go sideways so the rover wheels are facing the ground, then I slow down using the Monoprop engines that are positioned so that the center of Mass and thrust is in the center are lined up.

Then I land :)

Edited by Spaceception

51 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

How did I land a manned rover on the Mun?

First I slowed down all of my lateral velocity, then I go sideways so the rover wheels are facing the ground, then I slow down using the Monoprop engines that are positioned so that the center of Mass and thrust is in the center are lined up.

Then I land :)

I was talking more about how you got it to orbit around the Mun, as the CoM of rovers is usually not centered on the attachment node used to connect it to the rocket.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.