A challenge to smart people

I'm stuck on a problem, preventing me from playing KSP, to which I'm sure there is a solution. Here's the situation:

I just moved house. I have to wait another 2.5 weeks for broadband installation. 

I have a PC, with Kubuntu and Windows OSs, and I use the Linux for KSP. The PC's wireless is broken, I haven't been able to get it to accept it even has a wireless radio for months now. 

My PC has KSP 1.1.1. Some of my mods are 1.1.1, some are 1.1.2. It's a bit of a mess, with plenty of crashing and bugs. And I want to start some long term saves. So I need to upgrade it to 1.1.2 before I do.

I have a 4G MyFi device, on which I get pretty fast speeds. I also have a Macbook for work, which has KSP1.1 and working wireless! I can connect to the Myfi with the Macbook, but not with the PC.

So last night, I used my Macbook to log into Steam through my Myfi, and updated the KSP to 1.1.2. I then copied all the files onto an external hard drive, and moved them over to Linux on my PC. Of course, this didn't work, because the launch files in that KSP save are all for Mac OS, seeing as I installed them on a Mac. Durrrr.

So, how can I get working 1.1.2 files onto my PC in the next 2.5 weeks? I won't realistically be able to connect the PC to the internet before my broadband is installed. One thing I do have is a really old and crappy laptop, with Windows XP. It's pretty useless, but it still works, and it has functioning wireless. 

Any suggestions? 

Isn't it possible to download the Linux build directly from the KSP store on one of your other computers and transfer the .zip file over to your Linux machine?

Or are you doing this through Steam?

Edited by astrain413

You'll need Steam in a Linux install to get the Linux files from there. Is it possible to set up a Linux VM on the Mac? It would perform terribly but you'd at least be able to download the game for transfer to your other machine.

Another option would be to get a cheap USB wifi adapter for the Linux PC to connect directly to the MiFi.

33 minutes ago, astrain413 said:

Isn't it possible to download the Linux build directly from the KSP store on one of your other computers and transfer the .zip file over to your Linux machine?

Or are you doing this through Steam?

Yeah, I've only ever got KSP through Steam. I think I'd have to buy it again to download from the store. 

34 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

You'll need Steam in a Linux install to get the Linux files from there. Is it possible to set up a Linux VM on the Mac? It would perform terribly but you'd at least be able to download the game for transfer to your other machine.

Another option would be to get a cheap USB wifi adapter for the Linux PC to connect directly to the MiFi.

I'm a bit iffy about the Linux VM suggestion. It's a work Macbook, and I'm not great at this stuff, so I have the feeling there's a risk of me making a mess. Or is it super straightforward?

The cheap USB wifi sounds like a good solution though. It's about time I accepted I can't fix the PC's wireless, and so I kind of need one of these anyway, otherwise I always have to have the PC within LAN range of the router. Anything I should bear in mind when I look at options for this? Mbps I guess, but those always seem to be way faster than any internet connection I'm likely to have in the foreseeable future. Some of them are dirt cheap, for example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-ANEWISH-150Mbps-Adapter-Raspberry/dp/B01B1CSR2I/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1463485894&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=usb+wifi+adapter&psc=1

Thank you both for your ideas

Edited by Oafman

Did you know you can download games for other platforms using SteamCMD?

It's a command line program so takes a little more work than the Steam client, and while mostly used for game servers you can get the Linux version of KSP this way.

The command should be something like this (might vary).

./steamcmd.sh +@sSteamCmdForcePlatformType linux +login <username> <password> +force_install_dir ../ksp_linux +app_update 220200 validate +quit

Hope this helps!

1 hour ago, sal_vager said:

Did you know you can download games for other platforms using SteamCMD?

It's a command line program so takes a little more work than the Steam client, and while mostly used for game servers you can get the Linux version of KSP this way.

The command should be something like this (might vary).

./steamcmd.sh +@sSteamCmdForcePlatformType linux +login <username> <password> +force_install_dir ../ksp_linux +app_update 220200 validate +quit

Hope this helps!

No I didn't know of this at all, and it sounds like the ideal solution. If a bit daunting for someone who tries to avoid command prompt, but I'll have a go. 

One slight concern; I guess with this, I would need to download the whole game, not just the 1.1.2 patch? If I do that on my Mifi it will use up quite a bit of pricey data. I'd do it at work, but work blocks Steam. But maybe doesn't block this? I'll try it and report my findings......

Well there isn't really a discreet patch, Steam will update incrementally, as should the Squad patcher for store customers.

GOG sometimes provides their own patches for games, but usually only until they have finished repackaging the full game in their own installer.

If you copy your Linux KSP install to the Mac (using your external drive) you could use its folder as the install target, and Steam should only download files that have changed.

So instead of ../ksp_linux you'd use /home/username/path/to/your/linux/ksp/install

sal_vager's advice seems good, but some other ideas:

Boot any online PC off a Linux live USB stick, install Steam, install KSP, copy the KSP files onto another USB stick.

Connect your Macbook or XP laptop to the internet by wireless and to your desktop by ethernet, and use internet connection sharing.

More good suggestions. 

But, none of them appear particularly straightforward. Except for ordering a USB wifi adapter.

So, I've chickened out of the technical stuff, and ordered one for delivery tomorrow!

But thank you all for your input. I'm sure all of these ideas would have worked, and I would have probably learned something by doing them. But time is short etc...

------------------------------

Oh, I have a follow up question. 

Due to limited disk space, I moved the 1.1.1 on my PC onto my hard drive, while I moved the Mac 1.1.2 onto my PC. When I realised that the  Mac files would obviously not work, I removed them, and moved the 1.1.1 files back onto my PC, from my hard drive. 

But now, when I click on the exec file to launch the game, it asks me what program I want to use to open it! Before moving it to my hard drive and back, it would just launch the game. This is in Kubuntu. I guess moving the files broke some link or something.

Any ideas how to fix that?

Edited by Oafman

20 hours ago, cantab said:

Check the KSP program has the "execute" permission. In Linux only files with that permission can be run as programs.

How do I check this? Is it just in the right click options somewhere, or do i need to type something into the terminal, or something else? 

Thanks

18 hours ago, cantab said:

You can either right click the file in the file manager, or use the chmod command at the command line.

Yep I found the tick box in the properties. Couldn't have been simpler. 

In the meantime, my wireless adapter turned up, but the linux drivers don't work. Waiting for an updated script from the manufacturer. We're getting there, step by step...!

Really, if you are that short of storage, you should consider getting another HDD or SSD. Just make sure they are compatable and you have space in your space.

Edit: As for drivers, scour the web, you may get lucky.

Edited by CrazyJebGuy

4 hours ago, CrazyJebGuy said:

Really, if you are that short of storage, you should consider getting another HDD or SSD. Just make sure they are compatable and you have space in your space.

Edit: As for drivers, scour the web, you may get lucky.

I didn't give the Linux enough of the disk space when I did the partition. 

I ought to redo it at some point, but it took me all day to make it work last time, so I'm reluctant!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.