i made a helicopter lift thing... using only gyros what do you think?

so i posted this video on Reddit and someone said i should try to adapt it to lift a rocket and then launch it from the upper atmosphere. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but do you think this will be possible, how much lift can a rotating wing generate? if the works well i think i could be on to something, it would sure save allot of fuel leaving the atmosphere.

Welcome to the forum!

Nice contraption you've got there! There's a limit on the max angular velocity in stock KSP, which is unrealistic. You can change line 89 in your physics.cfg to improve the situation, the standard values is around 30 rad/s. You can change it to 50, above the physics update becomes wonky and the joints go gaga.

Using a "helicopter" to launch a space vehicle is AFAIK never done before, most helicopters max out at 5-7 km and the absolute world record sits at 12.4 km, quote:  "on June 21, 1972.  Jean Boulet of France flew a single-turboshaft Aerospatiale SA 315B Lama, which had been stripped of all unnecessary equipment to reduce weight."

Maybe a special development of your helicopter can reach the higher atmosphere, taking a useful cargo with it sounds to me like fantasy.

But hey ... it's KSP!

51 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Welcome to the forum!

Nice contraption you've got there! There's a limit on the max angular velocity in stock KSP, which is unrealistic. You can change line 89 in your physics.cfg to improve the situation, the standard values is around 30 rad/s. You can change it to 50, above the physics update becomes wonky and the joints go gaga.

Using a "helicopter" to launch a space vehicle is AFAIK never done before, most helicopters max out at 5-7 km and the absolute world record sits at 12.4 km, quote:  "on June 21, 1972.  Jean Boulet of France flew a single-turboshaft Aerospatiale SA 315B Lama, which had been stripped of all unnecessary equipment to reduce weight."

Maybe a special development of your helicopter can reach the higher atmosphere, taking a useful cargo with it sounds to me like fantasy.

But hey ... it's KSP!

hey thanks for the input i am going to have ago at changing the config file(never done it before) and see how far i get. it probably wont be very efficient but hey why not try!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.