Dump your savegames!

Ultimate Steve

Hello! Today, I thought up an idea: What if I launched a small rocket and tried to survive and explore in space using nothing but the debris I find? I would use KAS and KIS, of course, to build with. I remember someone doing something like this a while back.

Here's the catch: I don't have a save file with tons of orbiting ships, debris, and stations. So, I decided to come here. If anyone has any savefiles with:

1) Lots of Debris/ships,

2) No part mods other than KIS/KAS,

Then feel free to dump/upload them here. I would then merge them to make a save file with lots of debris and ships, and then if there is enough interest I will post it here.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Ultimate Steve

Only tangentially on-topic I'm afraid:

This reminds me of something I've occasionally wondered about, but haven't really seen anywhere: community made scenarios with predefined long-term goals. There have been a few in the 'challenges' thread, but mostly they're one-stunt deals (rescue pilot x from rocket b before atmospheric re-entry on planet q), rather than more story-based or open-ended scenarios. I think there's plenty of scope for players to create such scenarios and share them (as save files with instructions), which would cut a real corner for players who want to get into the action without strapping rockets together. Certain mods are ideal for this, of course.

If you do get such a world together and it works as a playstyle, please share with community :)

Heheheheh, boy do I have the saves for you! 

How about a save originally dated from .20 and still used but never mucked with infinite debris, AND spammed full of craft's debris I started and never finished? Not enough? I got another, just like it!

I'll upload shortly.

On 5/30/2016 at 9:09 PM, The_Rocketeer said:

This reminds me of something I've occasionally wondered about, but haven't really seen anywhere: community made scenarios with predefined long-term goals. There have been a few in the 'challenges' thread, but mostly they're one-stunt deals (rescue pilot x from rocket b before atmospheric re-entry on planet q), rather than more story-based or open-ended scenarios. I think there's plenty of scope for players to create such scenarios and share them (as save files with instructions), which would cut a real corner for players who want to get into the action without strapping rockets together. Certain mods are ideal for this, of course.

If you do get such a world together and it works as a playstyle, please share with community :)

A KSP successor game!  Like, you have different space agency "administrators" with 1 year terms.  Set goals, and behind the scenes run a meta-game representing the politics and funding.  Each successive administrator must pick up any pieces left and continue with the goals, unless they change because some jerk President changes the space agency's major policy goals.  I dunno, could be fun.

Of course write the whole thing into like a 20 year historical story.

(Oh and don't do a career game.  Use sandbox.  Run the career behind the scenes to keep it simple.  Record the costs of vessels and deduct them from the "budget".  The successive player manages the meta-game.  So always "two" players.)

Edited by autumnalequinox
better idea

I did this a while back, and I recommend it highly.  It was actually one of the more fun things I've ever done with KSP.  

Here's the mission report.

Here's the savegame I used to get started.  Not a ton of debris, as it was in 1.05 and every part slowed down my laptop.  But there is at least something interesting around every planet.  Hacking through a savegame in 1.05 was a nightmare, so I just used HyperEdit to throw some stuff into orbit around various bodies.

Here's the challenge that got me interested.

5 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

I would be very interested to see this work.  We are doing something a little like this over on the KSS.  I would love to see this sor tof thing grow, particularly if text and things could be added, kind of like the "K-files" contract series.

4 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Heheheheh, boy do I have the saves for you! 

How about a save originally dated from .20 and still used but never mucked with infinite debris, AND spammed full of craft's debris I started and never finished? Not enough? I got another, just like it!

I'll upload shortly.

Wouldn't this only work if he picks up partially spent boosters or fueled satelites? Otherwise he's just adding bulk to his ship that doesn't do anything.

This snagged my interest because my current space program has been leaving bits of debris here and there, some of which with fuel in them. That, and further down the line I plan on actually building debris to be recycled into future missions; external fuel tanks, liquid fuel boosters, maybe the odd landing stage are all intended to be a part of this. Since I'm doing all this on a cheat-maxed low income hardcore career (so it isn't just a sandbox, I can screw it all up) the idea of possibly launching a mission to Jool, or further like Sarnus or Urlum, with a cheap base ship linking and un-linking with junk found around the system is fun. At the least certain ships, such as my currently under-development Janus shuttle will be able to snag a refilled orbiting external tank and ride out to Duna or Dres or something.

Sadly, however, I've been making use of SpaceY and Fuel Tanks Plus, so this save sadly doesn't qualify. I may however whip up a new install and just chuck things willy-nilly all over the system with infinite debris on. Half-full fuel tank here, failed ISRU lander over there, maybe even a rover with a docking port some place in case poking a flag in the dirt doesn't do it for you.

2 hours ago, sardia said:

Wouldn't this only work if he picks up partially spent boosters or fueled satelites? Otherwise he's just adding bulk to his ship that doesn't do anything.

He asked for debris so he gets debris. 

I'm not talking about whatever side conversation you started after the fact.

Okay. A few things:
1) I started a game by merging Jetski's game and an old career game of mine. Using KAS/KIS is a lot more difficult than I ever thought, especially because Bill's EVA pack is not working correctly. I also had an incident with a fuel pipe and spazzing out.

2) @sardia @ZooNamedGames Debris, satelites, stations, everything is useful.

3) I am considering making a mission report about this.

4) @Jetski Nice job!

5) @The_Rocketeer This actually did cross my mind a while back. I should whip up a game like this sometime.

9 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Okay. A few things:
1) I started a game by merging Jetski's game and an old career game of mine. Using KAS/KIS is a lot more difficult than I ever thought, especially because Bill's EVA pack is not working correctly. I also had an incident with a fuel pipe and spazzing out.

2) @sardia @ZooNamedGames Debris, satelites, stations, everything is useful.

3) I am considering making a mission report about this.

4) @Jetski Nice job!

5) @The_Rocketeer This actually did cross my mind a while back. I should whip up a game like this sometime.

One limitation that killed me is how much mass a single Kerbal can move.  A neat trick is to install a ladder near a heavy part, and park multiple Kerbals on the ladder (although they do tend to drift a little), then use the an engineer to move the heavy part.  More Kerbals=more lifting power.  Also, if it's too big to move, install a docking port and move it with RCS.  EVA behavior is weird while Bill is carrying heavy stuff, as his mass and COM are off.  Kind of realistic, actually.

Edited by Jetski

On 5/30/2016 at 11:10 PM, Jetski said:

I did this a while back, and I recommend it highly.  It was actually one of the more fun things I've ever done with KSP.  

Here's the savegame I used to get started.  Not a ton of debris, as it was in 1.05 and every part slowed down my laptop.  But there is at least something interesting around every planet.  Hacking through a savegame in 1.05 was a nightmare, so I just used HyperEdit to throw some stuff into orbit around various bodies.

I would be very interested to see this work.  We are doing something a little like this over on the KSS.  I would love to see this sor tof thing grow, particularly if text and things could be added, kind of like the "K-files" contract series.

I remember reading this a while back. Great job!

10 hours ago, sardia said:

Consider increasing the KIS reach value ing the config file. It should help the logistics of the EVA. Also the ladder trick is cool, I'll have to try it. 

12 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

@sardia Thanks! I wonder if you can increase the amount of weight a kerbal can lift...  In space, technically, they should be able to move pretty much anything.

You can edit the amount of mass a Kerbal can lift in the KIS config file easily if you are so inclined.  In vacuum remember mass still makes a difference IRL, it takes a lot of effort to start a high-mass (note I don't say heavy here) object moving, and an equal effort to make it stop.  Not unrealistic for Bill to have a limit on how big an object he can move without help.

19 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

@sardia Thanks! I wonder if you can increase the amount of weight a kerbal can lift...  In space, technically, they should be able to move pretty much anything.

Yes, it's next to the reach value. You can also change how much they can carry too. 

I might upload my stock career save later. It's not particularly huge, but it could add a few more destinations if you merge it with another savegame.

Notable objects in it:

-One or two quite fueled Mainsail boosters in LKO, including one I renamed to "Orbiting Fuel" before decoupling

-Probably some debris on/around the Mun

-Partially fueled mainsail booster in Minmus orbit

-Minmus ISRU base (planted in a very ore-poor location... ), with a Poodle transfer stage on the ground next to it

-Probe on Duna

-Probe on Ike

-Ion probe on Gilly (considering sending it to Moho, has a ton of fuel left)

-There might have been a probe on Eve, can't remember

-Several bits of debris in high solar orbit

-One piece of debris in a very eccentric Jool orbit, unless a gravity assist flung it out at some point

-Two random probes in Jool orbit

-Probe on Laythe

Mostly probes, but the boosters and ISRU base could make good targets.

On 5/30/2016 at 11:10 PM, Jetski said:

This sounds like a blast! I will check your file out as well.

On 5/30/2016 at 8:11 AM, Jetski said:

One limitation that killed me is how much mass a single Kerbal can move.  A neat trick is to install a ladder near a heavy part, and park multiple Kerbals on the ladder (although they do tend to drift a little), then use the an engineer to move the heavy part.  More Kerbals=more lifting power.  Also, if it's too big to move, install a docking port and move it with RCS.  EVA behavior is weird while Bill is carrying heavy stuff, as his mass and COM are off.  Kind of realistic, actually.

Yeah, I've been making use of a similar idea to move up-to-2-tonne parts with two-kerbal teams. I generally have each engineer carry a power tool, an EVA propellant tank, a connector node, and a ladder segment as standard-issue repair kit. Whenever I need to move a part that's too massive for Bill to handle on his own, Stelcey jets over to assist; one of them temporarily bolts a ladder--or rather, a handhold--onto the ship nearby and holds on; the other "grabs" the part in question (with assistance) and moves it to its new location. Repeat as needed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.