Make your own custom parts in game

On 03/06/2016 at 5:25 PM, VoidrayX said:

Instead of constantly adding and updating tons of mods, why not add the function for us to design our own parts!

Since after we finish the tech tree all our science is basically sitting there doing nothing, science will be used as the "cost" to design and also to balance.

General idea of how it works would be as follows:

1. Choose part type (pod/electric charge generators/fuel tanks/drills/grabs/etc)
  2. Choose a basic shape/use existing part as template
  3. Edit the shape, the shape will be shown something like in procedual fairings but can click and drag the line(frame) to tweak shape to liking
  4. Edit the stats like thrust/fuel consumption/kerbal count/storage capacity/generating speed. 

For balance, the more OP the custom part is the more science it costs to "make" this part, e.g. high thrust engine with low fuel consumption will cost tons of science whereas just tweaking the shape of a normal pod to look nicer would be very cheap

As for actual $$$ cost, maybe can spend more science to lower cost(by making process more efficient)

The current tech tree can be integrated by say parts cant be made smaller past X size until miniaturization is unlocked or something along those lines

Policies also can be integrated, say if you are focusing on reputation, maybe then pods must provide each kerbal X amount of space rather than say squeeze all the kerbals in a tight pod

YES

On 27/12/2017 at 4:36 AM, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

yes

yES INDEED

9 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

I agree with both of you. It wouldn't take the stress of new parts of of squad and onto us. They would only need to make new templetes. Check out my post on the topic.

It's called Kerbin Infrastructure and Improvements

True words at their finest.

Edited by Space_taco

9 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

I agree with both of you. It wouldn't take the stress of new parts of of squad and onto us. They would only need to make new templetes. Check out my post on the topic.

It's called Kerbin Infrastructure and Improvements

Link would be nice

2 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

What didn't you like about the airports... I'm just curious?

maybe they could just add 2 or 1 more airports for landing shuttles on different parts of the planet.

Just now, Cheif Operations Director said:

Fair enough... what about the part about refuelling half way around kerbin

No need , i could grab an ISRU and some drills and some ore cans lol

Edited by Space_taco

1 minute ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Yes defiantly but refuelling on ground would be helpful when transporting things to the other side of the planet

"No need , i could grab an ISRU and some drills and some ore cans lol"

this is getting off topic lol

Edited by Space_taco

5 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

How long would it take to fill a 747 or The big Russian one think it's an An class

I can't fill a space shuttle in under a hour much less big of a plane.

Did I do something wrong?

It should have enough fuel to circumnavigate the planet if you're a professional Plane builder

Even if it didn't, I use rockets for almost everything ingame, they're much faster and they can carry heavier payloads, I Rarely use planes to transport stuff, It's just pointless. and 90% of my time is spent on sandbox mode , so i don't have to worry about costs.

5 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

How long would it take to fill a 747 or The big Russian one think it's an An class

I can't fill a space shuttle in under a hour much less big of a plane.

Did I do something wrong?

This is already offtopic too , we're supposed to talk about making custom parts in game as an idea.

Edited by Space_taco

1 minute ago, Space_taco said:

It should have enough fuel to circumnavigate the planet if you're a professional Plane builder

Even if it didn't, I use rockets for almost everything ingame, they're much faster and they can carry heavier payloads, I Rarely use planes to transport stuff, It's just pointless.

Yes but planes are more precise. My goal when console 1.2.2 comes out is it build a villlage near baikonuber so I can have a infinite source of science more or less. But I need to transport it their.

why do you need to transport your kerbals every now and then? , just put some habs for them and make it crewed, There are many rocket part mods that offer sizes such as 5m, 7.5m and perhaps 10m if that even exists.

you could fit all your needs in that, and if you were talking about science, you could just transmit it, anyways this topic isn't about the airport, it's about making custom parts in the game.

11 minutes ago, Space_taco said:

why do you need to transport your kerbals every now and then? , just put some habs for them and make it crewed, There are many rocket part mods that offer sizes such as 5m, 7.5m and perhaps 10m if that even exists.

you could fit all your needs in that, and if you were talking about science, you could just transmit it, anyways this topic isn't about the airport, it's about making custom parts in the game.

I need to get the science modules Their and I'm on console and your right

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.