CKAN Discussion Continutation

phoenix_ca

4 minutes ago, cybutek said:

I think @sarbian and @RoverDude just proved the point that mods can still exist and be available to users without having to be available on CKAN. We worked without CKAN for many years and the modding community worked perfectly fine back then. The modding community didn't just spring up after the development of CKAN. :D

Oh, so by mods to manage/install, you refer to mods being on CKAN? Ah... different axioms in our starting positions. No wonder our reasoning is confusing us!

Sarbian and RoverDude just proved that mods can still exist, not be on the CKAN official repository, and still be installed by CKAN, is all.

33 minutes ago, blu3wolf said:

No flaming going on here - by me, anyway.

CKAN is dead, long live CKAN, etc etc. ckanbot already cced the discussion room on it.

Oh please.  Maybe not flaming but you are doing an excellent job of continuing to stir the pot.

Edited by technicalfool
Ahem.

3 hours ago, blu3wolf said:

No one was harmed by this action, but at the same time, no one has been harmed by CKANs actions either. In fact, until someone develops a method for delivering a punch in the face over standard TCP/IP, I suspect people remaining not harmed is likely to stay the status quo.

All I can say is thank god you aren't a modder.

Lots of people were harmed by CKAN making mistakes.  My time is valuable to me, as is other modder's time valuable to them.  By CKAN screwing up installs, it harms the modders who have to devote their time and resources to figure out a problem which wasn't their's to begin with

3 minutes ago, Frybert said:

Several posts have been removed. If the only thing left to post is flame fanning rhetoric there is no purpose in leaving this open. Let's tone it down folks.

IMO it seems given the modding community and CKAN are now talking etc it seems this thread has served its purpose.

1 hour ago, goldenpsp said:

IMO it seems given the modding community and CKAN are now talking etc it seems this thread has served its purpose.

Well if you do close the thread I'd recommend leaving a post mortem of events for any late comers.

Edited by passinglurker

18 hours ago, Greenfire32 said:

--snip--

And I feel like a lot of this outrage is stemming from user's trying to get tech support from Modders when in reality it's the CKAN mod that's breaking things and not the individual mods. In that case, many many many Modders are already denying any kind of tech support for their mods unless you follow their criteria (post your specs, post your log, etc etc). Is it really such a stretch to simply add that no tech support will be given if a user is using a known broken mod (CKAN)?

You're a step ahead of where they are right now, and it's a step they're hoping to avoid.  The modders are complaining, but, as a community, they would still like to work out a solution where CKAN co-exists in their universe in such a manner that it doesn't load up their support pages or result in broken installs.

Refusing to support it outright and moving on is the next step if negotiations fail.  We're not there yet.  They're trying to avoid that, as strange as it may seem.  (MOST of the dev community, I should say.  There are a few that are already at the point you describe and probably aren't coming back.)

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

All I can say is thank god you aren't a modder.

Lots of people were harmed by CKAN making mistakes.  My time is valuable to me, as is other modder's time valuable to them.  By CKAN screwing up installs, it harms the modders who have to devote their time and resources to figure out a problem which wasn't their's to begin with

Exactly what would me releasing a mod have to do with any of this?

That aside, CKAN harmed as many folks as did Sarbian.

17 minutes ago, blu3wolf said:

Exactly what would me releasing a mod have to do with any of this?

That aside, CKAN harmed as many folks as did Sarbian.

Because if you were a modder, you might have a better chance of understanding a modder's point of view.  It's very obvious that you don't, nor do you care about anyone else except yourself.