Eeloocano Challenge

HoloYolo

Ahh, yes. The classic drive around somewhere challenge. I have decided on Eeloo as my target. I have landed close to its Apoapsis, which means the sun is small and output is small. But, I brought 2 RTGs to generate power! This should be easy, and fast. A snowball sized like the Mun is an easy drive. Or is it really?

DAY 1: Rough Driving

We have landed on Eeloo. We have already driven 27km from the landing site. The rover is not it tiptop shape, but it still works. We are going to push on. Valentina will ace this drive!

Day 2 is obviously tomorrow!

Day 2: Not so small steps

We have driven so far today! Both the landing site flag and the flag in the dirt are both gone. We have entered and driven out of an abyss. The rover has ended up on the dark side. Nothing has been lost. We will keep going.

I might add another one today. MIGHT ;] I felt lazy so no titles or descriptions. You decide what happened today.

Day 3 or 4 Part 1: Halfway

Halfway! We have made the mark. Only another half and it's all over. It's not boring, it's just taking a while. Also, no titles or descriptions for these 45 pictures.

Why part 1? Because there will probably be another part tonight. I have become obsessed with finishing this challenge. I can do this.

Day 3 or 4 part 2: Game Over

I did it. 210km driven. The snowball has been conquered. All I need to do is rescue her. I probably won't, to honor here. It's finally over.

Here it is. 66 pictures with no titles or descriptions again.

Edited by HoloYolo

2 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Interesting rover design. 1.1?

1.1.3. The wide and low base makes it easier to survive impacts and the wheel suspensions help keep me off the ground if I get launched and about to crash.

11 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Eeloocano... I love the name!  

Good luck!

Thanks! I'm making rapid progress and I should drive pretty far today. The rover is insanely stable and reliable, and should not lose any MORE parts. 

9 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

Thanks! I'm making rapid progress and I should drive pretty far today. The rover is insanely stable and reliable, and should not lose any MORE parts. 

I was looking at it, and I agree with the really wide wheelbase, you should be fine.  The only thing I see is you may eventually need to add a couple struts to hold it all together.  But unless it's an OPM Eeloo, you shouldn't hit any really bad terrain, so I may be wrong about the struts.

3 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I was looking at it, and I agree with the really wide wheelbase, you should be fine.  The only thing I see is you may eventually need to add a couple struts to hold it all together.  But unless it's an OPM Eeloo, you shouldn't hit any really bad terrain, so I may be wrong about the struts.

I don't need struts. It hasn't wobbled once since the launch to bring it to Eeloo.

Bumping this to say that Day 3 will be late due to bugs and a reinstall. I'll do two parts to make it up. I'm also going on a vacation, but I will bring the laptop I play KSP on. I might do a part while I'm there.

32 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

This attempt is over. After driving almost 1/3 of the way around Eeloo, a game breaking bug froze our driver and the rover in time forever. Here are the pics.

Oh no! Broke your save-game? Did you have a recent backup?

39 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

This attempt is over. After driving almost 1/3 of the way around Eeloo, a game breaking bug froze our driver and the rover in time forever. Here are the pics.

Oh, that. I guess you would need to edit save file to change Kerbal state from debris/landed to normal. Place another victim on EVA as source of correct values and copy&paste them into broken Kerb.

Something like this one: 

1 hour ago, PT said:

Oh, that. I guess you would need to edit save file to change Kerbal state from debris/landed to normal. Place another victim on EVA as source of correct values and copy&paste them into broken Kerb.

Something like this one: 

THANK YOU! EELOOCANO IS BACK ON!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.