xbox controller on pc

I want to use my xbox controller to pilot the vehicles and interact with the game,, but I have a pc, and the pc version... 

I certainly don't see the option in the menus,,, can this be made possible?? Is there some kind of cult against making the controller work on pcs? I wish we could grow up and just move toward compatibility. 

I once said that KSP should have a default scheme for XBox controllers, as does every other game that supports them out of the box.  Plug and play, and all that.  I was meet with an odd amount of disagreement.

You can definitely use a controller.  You just have to set it up yourself.

11 hours ago, tsmspace said:

I want to use my xbox controller to pilot the vehicles and interact with the game,, but I have a pc, and the pc version... 

I certainly don't see the option in the menus,,, can this be made possible?? Is there some kind of cult against making the controller work on pcs? I wish we could grow up and just move toward compatibility. 

It works just fine if you have a USB controller.  If you have a wireless controller you need an adapter provided by Microsoft to get it to USB, nothing to do with KSP there.  You have to configure the controller manually for each input, this is true for all input devices other than keyboard and mouse.

6 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

I once said that KSP should have a default scheme for XBox controllers, as does every other game that supports them out of the box.  Plug and play, and all that.  I was meet with an odd amount of disagreement.

You can definitely use a controller.  You just have to set it up yourself.

Mainly because, why should it have a default scheme for XBox and not other controllers?  You either add them all (including Flight Sticks) like Elite Dangerous does, or you add none like KSP does and have the player configure it manually.  Since there is no architecture for selecting a controller type, none is currently the best option.  On top of that you are going to have everybody wanting it to be different.   I'm sure the XBox version will have a default control set out of necessity.

Edited by Alshain

1 hour ago, Alshain said:

Mainly because, why should it have a default scheme for XBox and not other controllers?  You either add them all (including Flight Sticks) like Elite Dangerous does, or you add none like KSP does and have the player configure it manually.  Since there is no architecture for selecting a controller type, none is currently the best option.  On top of that you are going to have everybody wanting it to be different.   I'm sure the XBox version will have a default control set out of necessity.

Because the Xbox controller is the official controller of Windows?  ...and, typically,  your random Logitech controller will default to the Xbox scheme.  That's been my experience,  anyway.

Edited by klgraham1013

9 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Because the Xbox controller is the official controller of Windows?  ...and, typically,  your random Logitech controller will default to the Xbox scheme.  That's been my experience,  anyway.

But this is not a Windows game.  It's a multi-platform game with a common code set and it's also a flight game and my Thrustmaster T.Flight does not default to the XBox scheme.

Edited by Alshain

I second what @Alshain said.

And in all fairness, setting up a controller is very very easy and simple. Futhermore, if any stick or pad had some pre-set settings, we´d most likely want to change them around anyway.

Joystick/joypad/etc support in KSP improved a lot since I first started messing with this game. At the moment I use two sticks and a controller at the same time, zero issues. Only had to re-adjust some deadzones between 1.1.2 and 1.1.3

So how do I "set it up myself"?? Do I have to use a separate program to assign keystrokes to each button??? Or is it possible without downloading additional software,,, by using just windows drivers. ?? I have windows 10. ((((edition beta---- which is quite fun. and does have controller support rolled in,,,,, I've never played the original, but am thinking that minecraft should release a separate biome pack, where the character is in space, mining asteroids in a field, and can use gravity boots, or float around in 3d space following newtonian inertial physics, and having to look in the desired direction of thrust.           (although probably with some optional tunings to make it easier, it's just block-placing in space....) )))))) It would be similar to those epic space sims a little, ,,, but be minecraft and quite simple and fun! )))) 

anyway, I'm not interested in running a secondary program,,, finding a secondary program,,, using one I've already tried out and didn't like having to run,, etc.. I just want some kerbal settings to allow game controllers. THen I want to use the game controller in all menus, not just during one short phase of play,, where the launch is "realistic"",, but ,,, (and the kicker is),,, probably not how it's going to work when we go there. interestingly, I think that by the time WE go there (en-mass, not like, that one guy using tiny engines and one way too biga engine),, ships will work actually quite a bit more like our video games that seem unrealistic...... (and lightsabers are real too!! because it's not laser beams, just singularity streams!! well they end so quickly,, even fired quite quickly they'll only get that far!!) 

No secondary program required. You will find it in the Settings menu, under the Input tab. Very simple and easy to use interface.

I have used a few different joysticks and controllers and never had to look for drivers or software of any kind. In this regard it is plug and play, KSP just requires you to assign each command to a button or axis.

Have a look at the Settings/Input menu in KSP, all will become clear.

What the previous poster said. I use an x360 controller and have for a while now. The benefit of making your own control scheme is that you can make it truly your own, tailored to the type of craft you fly and your playstyle. :)

Something to consider for people who ask for default pre-settings: I use two joysticks and a controller to supplement them, for all the commands I need in flight, neat little cockpit setup if you will. I think I touch the keyboard outside of the editor mostly for that control-from-here command or for thrust/gimbal limiting an engine or stuff like that. Now where would pre-set default settings leave me? I feel it is much better the way it is.

If you want you can save the settings file in your KSP folder for different controller setups you might use. Create your own default settings for different controllers, should you ever wish to switch between different setups.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.