PS4 KSP review IGN

Majorjim!

11 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

But it seems the review score does not take into account the obvious issues with control, UI and performance that the console version is suffering from at the moment.

Or that the issues aren't as big as some would like to make them out to be. Not everyone builds big part count stuff, in fact the game itself rewards building small and simple. The reviewer obviously played long enough to become accustomed to the controls, he specifically mentions how it was daunting at first. The review specifically mentions the issues to which you refer and still gives the game a positive review.

10 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

I only said the score was based on the PC version as he clearly did not play the PS4 version for very long at all. If you would like to counter that point I would appreciate it.

That's your assertion, so your burden of proof. How do you know how long the reviewer played? Because he only made it as far as the Mun? Some people play for years and don't go further.

Really, it seems like you're dismissing the review out of hand because it's not citing the UI, controls, and performance as deal-breaking like some people are. Is it not possible that they aren't such a big deal for the reviewer?

Just now, Martin Moon said:

Um I never did...

Just now, Martin Moon said:

Okay Majorjim, I would calm down about something I haven't and decidedly won't ever experience if I were you.

Just now, Red Iron Crown said:

Or that the issues aren't as big as some would like to make them out to be. Not everyone builds big part count stuff, in fact the game itself rewards building small and simple. The reviewer obviously played long enough to become accustomed to the controls, he specifically mentions how it was daunting at first. The review specifically mentions the issues to which you refer and still gives the game a positive review.

Good point. It is the part in bold however (emphasis mine) that I just disagreed with and why I posted the thread.

. Is it not possible that they aren't such a big deal for the reviewer?

Quite possible yes.

The last four words of my sentence were 'if I were you'. I'm not telling you how to think I'm telling you how I would look at it from a perspective of not having any first hand experience about something I don't want to experience, I.E. 'calm'. Thank you.

Edited by Martin Moon

2 hours ago, Majorjim said:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/07/18/kerbal-space-program-ps4-review

He gave it a 9.0 which is the correct score given how awesome the game is but I kinda feel like that score is based on the fact there is a PC version. As during his PS4 testing he did almost nothing in the game, he barely made orbit..

He also ran into major frame rate issues even with craft below the 300 part limit, he hit 10FPS at one point which is ridiculous.

So what say you? I am sure the score is based on the weight of the PC experience as it sure as hell was not based on the limited time he spent on the PS4 version.

In my opinion

I disagree with how you feel about it. Great review. I also have on PS4 and would give it the same score.

5 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Good point. It is the part in bold however (emphasis mine) that I just disagreed with and why I posted the thread.

What is there to disagree with? The reviewer mentions the controls being daunting at first, fact. The reviewer mentions performance suffering with higher part count craft, fact. The reviewer gives the game a positive review, fact. 

there is a special feeling about learning the mechanics of rockets and orbital flight when you do it all the first few times.  that sense of accomplishment that you figured something out that is rather complicated.   we have all heard the sayings "like a rocket scientist",  when you first learn how to rendezvous, or plan an IP transfers, you almost think you could be one lol  there is a special magic to that..

It will also be missing for alot of long term veteran players when they try the console version.  small gripes will be highlighted in their mind because instead of being focused on learning, its focused on finding differences and noticing things that are different from what they used to be able to do with ease.

Just now, Bigbootie said:

I disagree with how you feel about it. Great review. I also have on PS4 and would give it the same score.

Fair enough, thank you.

What is there to disagree with? The reviewer mentions the controls being daunting at first, fact. The reviewer mentions performance suffering with higher part count craft, fact. The reviewer gives the game a positive review, fact. 

I disagree that he took those into account in the score given also the limited play time. I know it is totally presumptuous but I imagine the score would be different if there was no PC version that I bet he has already played. It's just my opinion dude.

4 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

I disagree that he took those into account in the score given also the limited play time.

How do you know how much play time was involved? Because he didn't go further than the Mun? Some people play for years without going further than that. There's no evidence that less time was spent on this version than on any other game, or the PC version of KSP for that matter.

How do you know how much play time was involved? Because he didn't go further than the Mun? Some people play for years without going further than that. There's no evidence that less time was spent on this version than on any other game, or the PC version of KSP for that matter.

It was based on logic. The PC game has been available for years and the PS4 version has not. It's been available to some public for 5 days and maybe a month or two to reviewers.

3 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

It was based on logic. The PC game has been available for years and the PS4 version has not. It's been available to some public for 5 days and maybe a month or two to reviewers.

The reviews for PC KSP came out about as quickly after the 1.0 launch. There's no reason to assume the reviewer was playing the PC version beyond the time required to write the review, after all they have other games to review. 

The reviews for PC KSP came out about as quickly after the 1.0 launch. There's no reason to assume the reviewer was playing the PC version beyond the time required to write the review, after all they have other games to review. 

I agree this is hard to argue either way man as the game was available looong before version 1.0. My opinion stands however.

I googled the author of the review, he has 100 hours of kerbal gametime on PC and 70 of that is early-access. It looks as though he has some experience with the PC version, he isn't addicted to it like some of us are. Plus I really like the PS4 version and it holds tons of potential for future updates which I know will come soon (tm)

Just now, Maniac_Canine said:

I googled the author of the review, he has 100 hours of kerbal gametime on PC and 70 of that is early-access.

How do you know this? Did you find him on steam?

Nevermind, I found it. 114 hours on Steam more than any other of the 103 games he has.

Edited by Majorjim

This is gonna get silly if it becomes an endless 'how do you know that' thread. The answer is nobody knows, and tbh I think it's safe to assume that this is going to all be conjecture and opinion, not cold hard fact. Even the review score, ultimately, is a subjective opinion.

Let's not let this implode into petty bickering. If you have a view, make it, if u disagree with a view, challenge it, but there's no point in asking for real evidence where plainly none exists. Justification of a view perhaps, but not cold hard fact.

Just now, The_Rocketeer said:

This is gonna get silly if it becomes an endless 'how do you know that' thread. The answer is nobody knows, and tbh I think it's safe to assume that this is going to all be conjecture and opinion, not cold hard fact. Even the review score, ultimately, is a subjective opinion.

Let's not let this implode into petty bickering. If you have a view, make it, if u disagree with a view, challenge it, but there's no point in asking for real evidence where plainly none exists. Justification of a view perhaps, but not cold hard fact.

Agreed, this is all I asked for, opinions counter to or in agreement of my main point.

Ok, looking back to the first couple hours of KSP I played, I didn't make orbit, i didnt make suborbital, heck I barely made it off the pad without something going horribly wrong (poor jeb).

After 1000+ hours on PC, I have gained a knowledge for space flight and orbital mechanics that would have never been possible for me anywhere else. I didn't even make it to the mun until 100+ hours. 

Given my limited experience I do think that the PS4 version is difficult to play and has issues, BUT, if I give up on it now that would be like giving up in the PC version after it crashing on me a thousand times. (I started playing with version .90, which was fairly stable). 

Going back to my original point, look at it from the point of view of someone with little experience on the PC (who may or may not be an avid PC gamer) with that perspective i could see how it could get a great review! I would have given KSP .90 a great review 3 hours after i started playing it as well.

To me it seems that the author has eye for the negative aspects of the console version, yet finds that its unique concept, especially for a console game, makes more that up for it.

Kerbal Space Program does the improbable: it makes learning a complex subject fun. Its cute, clueless characters and sense of humor turn a hardcore physics simulator into something replayable and addictive, and well worth getting over the hurdle of learning the controls. Designing, flying, and then retrying missions again and again is a tough challenge that goes right up to the brink of frustration (and sometimes beyond the limits of the PlayStation 4’s performance), but the eventual success of achieving virtual space flight is rewarding and even inspirational.

To me, the opposite of “reviewing the PC game” seems to be applied. I feel that the high score is due to the fact that, on the console, KSP offers an experience simply not equalled by anything else on the PS4 (unlike the PC which has Orbiter, Wing Commander, etc); hence the high score.

But that's just an opinion.

2 hours ago, Majorjim said:

I've had ksp on pc for years. Never went past minmus. Had the xbone version since day 1, got a Duna base already. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.