This was not the save I was looking for

Last night I was completing a couple missions (Eve 3 Course and Orbit Eve) and ended up trying for a unplanned Eve landing since the probe wasn't going to make it home anyway. So, without heat shields or wings but with a lot of spinning in every direction I somehow was able to get to the point where I was able to deploy parachutes on the half of the probe tat was left and start slowly falling toward the sea.

At about 4500m I realized it'd take me a while to get down at my current rate of 3 m/s so I decided to cut some parachutes. Now, not wanting to be reckless, I did a quicksave first and after cutting I decided I was going a bit faster than I liked and loaded my quicksave.

Opon it loading I heard a small puff, no longer see my ship, and my speed reading says "Surface 414413930.6 m/s". The flight results log showed I had splashed down hard and was destroyed.

A bit surprising, because as I said before I had been at 4500m and falling 3 m/s when I saved. Reloading the save a couple times yielded effectively the same result each time.

• 2 weeks later...

The way I've observed it to work is that you have one persistent (automatic) save, one quick save (mid flight), and how ever many regular saves (named, saved from the KSC) you'd like. Confusingly, the regular save names are auto populated as "quicksave #1","quicksave #2", ect. Due to the console save bug I've been keeping it down to only one regular save so I know I loaded the correct flight.

(If you want to know which save is which flight, sometimes it can help to go to the space center and load the save from there. That way at least you have things like the in-game date/time, funds, and number of flights to help you)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.