SAS Turns Off With Each Stage Seperation?

Had a few maneuvering issues until I figured out SAS stabilization. (I'm in early stages of career mode and have no RCS yet) However, SAS when on, seems to turn off every time I decouple a stage, which has resulted in some rather deep craters near the launch center. 

I'm getting around this by re-engaging SAS with each separation, but I still forget on occasion and either lose control or have the craft go off course enough to have to reset back to the pad.

Am I missing something obvious in settings to keep this on? Suggestions welcome.  

Edited by shadragon

Have you been using action groups?  Maybe you accidentally had an SAS related command on the "stage" action group?  Seems very unlikely though, especially if you're in early career...

Also maybe check your keyboard bindings.  Maybe the spacebar also got assigned to SAS?

You could also try to build a new ship and see if the same thing happens.  That would help narrow down whether this is a global or craft specific problem.

I've noticed this happens when the root part of the ship is in a different stage from the control point and the root part is jettisoned. AFIK it happens every time, thats why I build my ship and then re root to the whichever control point I deem most important. 

5 minutes ago, CaLVin-K said:

I've noticed this happens when the root part of the ship is in a different stage from the control point and the root part is jettisoned. AFIK it happens every time, thats why I build my ship and then re root to the whichever control point I deem most important. 

Exactly. My KEMAZ mobile launcher in the spacecraft exchange has this sickness aswell. :rolleyes:

19 hours ago, CaLVin-K said:

OK, so... 

Wiki - "The root part is the first part placed in the VAB or SPH so it's on the top of the dependency tree."

SAS Wiki Page - "The PID control is applied to the vessel's rotational velocity at the command point. This means that large rockets that tend to wobble out of control during flight do so because the SAS sees the tip (where the command module usually is) rotating and assumes the entire vessel is spinning this fast. For this reason, "wobble" can be largely eliminated by controlling the vessel as close to the CG as possible. This can be accomplished by placing a command module or docking port in the middle of the rocket. Right click the unit and select "Control From Here" to change the control point. If you end up controlling the "dead" end of the rocket after stage separation, simply press the "[" or "]" keys to select the appropriate section."

From the above, I take it that the control point is the command pod and the root part is stage #1. Your solution is to reroot to the control point you want, but I only have one. Does reselecting my command pod fix this?

Cheers. 

On September 1, 2016 at 9:58 AM, shadragon said:

OK, so... 

Wiki - "The root part is the first part placed in the VAB or SPH so it's on the top of the dependency tree."

SAS Wiki Page - "The PID control is applied to the vessel's rotational velocity at the command point. This means that large rockets that tend to wobble out of control during flight do so because the SAS sees the tip (where the command module usually is) rotating and assumes the entire vessel is spinning this fast. For this reason, "wobble" can be largely eliminated by controlling the vessel as close to the CG as possible. This can be accomplished by placing a command module or docking port in the middle of the rocket. Right click the unit and select "Control From Here" to change the control point. If you end up controlling the "dead" end of the rocket after stage separation, simply press the "[" or "]" keys to select the appropriate section."

From the above, I take it that the control point is the command pod and the root part is stage #1. Your solution is to reroot to the control point you want, but I only have one. Does reselecting my command pod fix this?

Cheers. 

the re root function in the VAB allows you to change the root part of the vessel to whichever part you want it to be (with a few restrictions, i think the part must not be physics less) so yes I utilize this function to change the root part to my command pod.

Edited by CaLVin-K

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.