Voiced Tutorial

Hello,

I was trying to get into KSP in a less freestyle way, that is, throwing stuff into the air and see if it lands in a not fireball form.

So I decided to try the tutorial and it is hard to follow, the text constantly jumps to the right side of the screen, the text itself is tiny and it is written in large blobs of text.

All those together makes the tutorial really hard to go through. And I have a feeling it can be fixed easily by having the tutorial voiced, have somebody that is clearly and well spoken to voice act the text.

Have the tutorial pause by itself whenever it teaches something mid flight and make sure this whole thing can be turned off as an option before starting a tutorial.

Have a nice day!

Hi. And welcome.

You make some good points there.  An 'auto pause' whenever new info gets posted on screen to give the reader time to study it makes sense, especially for those not overly familiar with English.  Voiced tutorials sounds like quite a nice idea too, maybe one of those 'text to speech' thingummy wotsits could be integrated if a human actor isn't a workable option for whatever reason.  An 'Auto translating text to speech' to accommodate other languages may also be possible, but could throw up some confusing instructions if it's not properly configured.

It's been a while since I did anything serious with a tutorial, I had a look out of interest when 1.1 came out, but didn't need to follow them as such so didn't notice your issue.

The learning curve for KSP is notorious for it's steep gradient, so anything that helps new players effectively is a good thing.

The forums are also a very useful resource for learning stuff.  Feel free to ask on here if you get confused or want any tips, its a very friendly, welcoming place and there will always be someone willing and able to help.  Also check out some of the YouTube tutorial videos, they helped me quite a bit when I started (Scott Manley does some very good stuff).

1 hour ago, Van Disaster said:

Or it'd be voiced by Gene Kerman, and that would drive me into frothing madness.  There are enough youtube tutorials really, maybe some need to be semi-official.

2 hours ago, pandaman said:

The forums are also a very useful resource for learning stuff.  Feel free to ask on here if you get confused or want any tips, its a very friendly, welcoming place and there will always be someone willing and able to help.  Also check out some of the YouTube tutorial videos, they helped me quite a bit when I started (Scott Manley does some very good stuff).

The problem is that there is no interaction with other meanings of tutorial, asking on the forum and watching a video is less effective than actually being helped live while playing, that is, what the tutorial in the game is offering, but in a flawed way, that is, plain boxes of small text. What I mean is that you cant compare doing something while being instructed and being instructed and then you are imminently being tested. Voicing the tutorial will make the former a lot more present in the current tutorial in the game.

1 hour ago, Alshain said:

KSP is international.  Having a voiced tutorial would mean hiring dozens of voice actors.

Obviously, 1 actor for each available language will be costly, but it will increase accessibility of the game to new players.

16 minutes ago, FlexN said:

The problem is that there is no interaction with other meanings of tutorial, asking on the forum and watching a video is less effective than actually being helped live while playing, that is, what the tutorial in the game is offering, but in a flawed way, that is, plain boxes of small text. What I mean is that you cant compare doing something while being instructed and being instructed and then you are imminently being tested. Voicing the tutorial will make the former a lot more present in the current tutorial in the game.

I don't disagree with you there. Having a tutor explain stuff, or be able to answer queries as you are working through it is a real bonus.

Just a thought, and it's far from ideal and would be a bit fiddly, but you could try playing a tutorial video whilst you are playing the game and try to follow it that way.  You can then pause either or both as you need to. It would be better with the video on a tablet or second monitor if possible though.

Perhaps if the tutorials could be an 'interactive video game experience' where you can try something, pause to read the text, and then continue or rewind a bit to have another go or try it in a slightly different way that may be a decent solution.  But I guess that would be quite a lot of work to set up and do well.

The problem with youtube tutorials are that most of them are done in pre-release versions of the game and get outdated, there needs to be a tutorial that is up to date and that offers interactivity, the ingame one is not as accessible as the youtube tutorials, because it is not voiced, but it is interactive, making it the best option to learn how to play. I really hope the dev will consider to have it voiced.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.