tacocat?

ycen

45 minutes ago, JAFO said:

So how's that 'no DVD drive' thing working out for you? :P :wink:

I have an external USB one stashed away somewhere in my desk, precisely so I can stop paying for a new internal one with every new PC. :wink:

10 minutes ago, JohnnyPanzer said:

Now I'm curious, when would that ever be an issue? I haven't used mine once, I litteraly let it gather dust since I lost the small plastic cover for that particular chassi slot.

Agreed. I have used said external drive exactly five times in three years.

Edited by Streetwind

2 minutes ago, razark said:

Whenever you want to use a DVD, probably.

Ah. So, much like the issues I'm currently experiencing from not having an 8-track player bolted to the front of the chassi? :P

(I kid, I kid. Also, last nonsense post. Honestly.)

Anyway, I fail to grasp why some of you are so bothered by the nyan cat? It's a matter of taste I'm sure, but it's not like it is cluttering up the UI or anything, it's just the loading screen. What is it that that infuriates some of you so much about it that you'd almost rather not use MM than see that cat again?

Not an accusation, just curiosity.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyPanzer said:

What is it that that infuriates some of you so much about it that you'd almost rather not use MM than see that cat again?

I asked the same thing.  It ended up with the mods having to lock and clean out the MM thread...

23 hours ago, Streetwind said:

If a solid state drive counts as magic, then perhaps? :P Three years ago when I built a new machine, I decided to ban all antique rotating storage media from my system. Got a single 500 GB SSD, and that's it. Been incredibly pleased with it ever since! Of course, the system is fairly powerful in general, with a 4 GHz Intel quadcore and 16 GB memory. So whenever I start up stock KSP v1.2, I get to see the logo at the start, and maybe a brief glimpse of loading screen artwork sometimes before it abruptly switches to the main menu. It was slower than that in 1.1.x... in fact, KSP's loading speed has increased for me with every major update since, uh, 0.90 or 1.0. I forget.

Still, I'm surprised you say "a minute or two". That's a really long time to sit still and wait for something to finish loading, especially if most people report that it's going faster than ever. Have you actually measured it, or do you speak from gut feeling?

Oh I've timed it. Not on purpose, but on multiple occasions I've watched a youtube video while it loads (on a different device) and noticed that it took around a minute and a half, give or take 20 seconds.

On 14/10/2016 at 0:40 PM, JAFO said:

It all depends.. if you're an IT tech, they're almost indispensable..

Because booting from a USB stick isn't a thing?

Speaking as an IT tech person, DVD media is an option of last resort - at least it is in our neck of the woods.  We still have them obviously, same as we still keep old floppy drives, but we tend not to use them.

42 minutes ago, pxi said:

Because booting from a USB stick isn't a thing?

Speaking as an IT tech person, DVD media is an option of last resort - at least it is in our neck of the woods.  We still have them obviously, same as we still keep old floppy drives, but we tend not to use them.

When you have many different bootable tools that you need to keep handy, DVDs work out to be a damn sight cheaper than USB sticks.. easier to label, too.

And if your work often involves older hardware, not all of it can boot from USB.

Edited by JAFO

12 minutes ago, JAFO said:

When you have many different bootable tools that you need to keep handy, DVDs work out to be a damn sight cheaper than USB sticks.. easier to label, too.

Could come down to differences in what we do, but I've been able to amalgamate most every tool I'd require a live disk for within a single bootable copy of linux.  If/when I need another it's quite easy to add it.  Price is a fair point, but I find the convenience worth the trade-off.

On 10/13/2016 at 7:20 PM, Alshain said:

You must have a potato.   Mine took 30 seconds and I have a few mods and 74 module manager patches.  That's running OS on an SSD but the game on a standard HDD.

I gotta buy a ssd one of these days.  maybe black friday

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested in removing the nyan cat earlier (it would go away by itself in a week), you can download a custom version of ModuleManager here: https://github.com/neuoy/ModuleManager/releases/tag/v2.7.1

This is exactly the same MM code, excepted the nyan cat doesn't enable itself whatever date of the year it currently is. You can still enable it with the -nyan-nyan parameter (but then you don't need this custom version to do that). If you want to get rid of the nyan cat whatever mods you have installed, just make sure this is the only ModuleManager.dll file you have in GameData and subfolders. Also be sure no other mod needs a more recent version (it's the latest at the time I'm writing these lines). I also hope I didn't break anything by recompiling it, let me know if you have an issue.

Edited by Youen

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.