What inspires you to play KSP?

septemberWaves

I'm a huge history nerd. What really scratches my itch in KSP is going throughout history and replicating the hundreds of launches that have taken place so far. The best part is looking on Wikipedia or Gunters space page and seeing the history and the background of each mission and it's crew. The thing I love most about space travel is the little anecdotes and stories, most notably the "corned beef sandwich incident" of Gemini 3

My love of engineering and technology to enhance my knowledge of how the universe works and the most exciting and important space exploration sector the expansion of all humanity as a child I have always wanted to be a inventor and I made my first electronic motor in 2002 at age 6 so ksp is a natural game for me to mod and play. :cool:

For me it was Fireworks and the Scientific Method, I like launching things, my country has banned rockets but I grew up with them, and the explosions are a chance to learn from the mistakes made :)

KSP allows me to play with virtual fireworks, removing the risk of physical injury, and learn some things in the process, not burn down the neighborhood, and have a laugh doing so. It's a win-win-win-win-win.

Zoom, boom!

Freddy

For me KSP is never ending. For example. I've only just after 2 years of playing sandbox started, continued and enjoying career mode. With the constraints put on me I've seen that my designs are much better than ever before! I love building stuff anyway but career has eeked out better designs from me. As for inspiration, that's simple.... space and the not knowing what's out there so let's go and see :)

I have always just loved the idea of space exploration and construction, and with K.S.P, it has it all and not to mention it has dopey little fun creatures to accompany you on your missions to the mun, or the very depths of the solar system. it is one of the best games I have played and that is why I love ksp

I'm not sure how I came across the Atomic Rockets website (maybe from TvTropes), but the designs and concepts discussed there are a great source for both civilian (KSP) and military (CDE) inspiration.

Of course the Near Future and Kerbal Atomics mods are an absolute must-have for me. For a proper large scale spaceship I've come to love the ultra-realistic 'cylinders around a central spine' look as opposed to sci-fi type designs with lots of unnecessary structure.

Edited by Guest

On 02/11/2016 at 10:41 PM, Cdw2468 said:

I'm a huge history nerd. What really scratches my itch in KSP is going throughout history and replicating the hundreds of launches that have taken place so far. The best part is looking on Wikipedia or Gunters space page and seeing the history and the background of each mission and it's crew. The thing I love most about space travel is the little anecdotes and stories, most notably the "corned beef sandwich incident" of Gemini 3

Sounds like you'd enjoy the Praxis Manned Spaceflight Log 1961 - 2006 (if it's not already on your bookshelf/e-reader).  That should keep you busy for years!

What inspires me?  One of my earliest memories is the tension surrounding the return of the Apollo 13 astronauts and I vividly remember following the last 3 Moon landings.  Children's astronomy books at the time were full of predictions about what would be possible by the turn of the Millennium - holidays on the Moon, A base on Mars etc.

Sadly the authors of those books turned out to be overly optimistic!  I've spent years studying early spaceflight (1957-1975/ Sputnik 1 to ASTP) and have written a couple of articles on the subject.  I was aware of KSP for a while, but about a year ago I inherited a laptop that was capable of actually playing it.

I usually play in Science Mode because I like to set my own goals and missions. I'm finally (virtually) building the things those children's books promised me I'd see. And I love it!

I feel pretty much the same as Clipperrider and during my childhood I also read many of these children's astronomy books. So I guess my inspiration comes from the legendary missions by both the US and USSR between 1960 and 1980. A time where people were ready to take a risk, where people envisioned moon bases and missions to mars, not missions to low earth orbit utilizing an experimental and way, way too expensive technology. Sometimes, I plan my missions with an eye on the historic events that took place. Like I built my own version of a Saturn V launcher, carrying a small lander with it and then headed for Mun. In fact, every time a new release is out, I start all over again and usually the first thing that goes up to orbit is a small satellite ("Kerbnik") - it's my childish, personal tribute to mankind's very first successful orbital launch.

Edited by lodger

It was the 1983, I was 8 years old when my father, who was a physics teacher, brought a book at home. There were the pictures of Saturn taken by the Pioneer 11 spacecraft and pictures of the surface of Mars taken by the Viking 1 and 2 landers. I thought both pictures where awesome I was amazed by the fact that people were able to send spacecrafts there, I got hooked and developed a passion for Astronomy.

I started to play Orbiter before KSP and I've reached quite and advanced level of understanding of orbital mechanics with it. KSP also I loved it but after the first fun I considered it a bit "too easy" until Realism overhaul and Real Solar System have been released. 

I take inspiration mostly on real missions involving space probes. I like to plan fuel efficient missions using any way possible: gravity assists, aerobraking/capture... I even enjoy hours long maneuvers done with very tiny engines :D

2 hours ago, lodger said:

I feel pretty much the same as Clipperrider and during my childhood I also read many of these children's astronomy books.......

I still do :D  Thanks to the second hand book sellers on Amazon-UK I've been re-reading the "Scott Saunders Space Adventures" by the late Sir Patrick Moore.  The language and stereotypes may be rather outdated these days, but he did base his fiction on real science.  I've also become fascinated by his early pre-space age, popular astronomy books.  Just to see how much our knowledge of the Universe in general and our Solar System in particular has changed since the early 1950's.  Vegetation on Mars was considered pretty much certain and artist impressions of the Moon were full of sharp, jagged mountains.

Ever since I was a young lad (around two or three, my parents tell me), I learned the planets by name in order. Then, I got slightly older and wanted to become an astronaut - mostly inspired by the crews of the Apollo Missions. Before discovering KSP through some research on the Soviet Lunar Program (seriously...), I wanted to be an Astronautical Engineer (now I'm between Astronaut, Engineer, or Astronomer...).

Now, I literally do things in KSP, whether it be a crazy aircraft from my imagination or an attempt at recreating missions with a very Kerbal Approach. I still can't seem to thank the devs enough for this amazing game.

I like to see things and gizmos work, from the simple sight of solar panels extending at the push of a button and electric charge going up as a consequence, to complicated missions with 2-3 different craft separating from one and performing various functions (lander, orbiter which samples higher atmosphere, satellite relay). I love the sense of scale and effort involved even in getting to the Mun, let alone beyond. I like the cozy feeling of newly launched space station core modules and small ground bases. And I love the sense of effort and the impossible logistics involved in a manned mission to Jool or even Eeloo using TAC Life Support, which is the ultimate goal of my career game. Many a supply ships will be pre-sent.

I like to design things, or more accurately over-design things. I like to add lots of parts and science to my  craft, and to make sure that all of the parts work as they're supposed to. I then like to see them doing their job on another planet, and working perfectly. 

Once I was a kid, I was told that earth is orbiting sun because sun is heavier. And moon is orbiting earth because earth is heavier. Then I asked people, why don't moon orbit sun if sun is heavier than earth? Why dont we fall into sun and why dont moon fall into earth? I had plenty of questions which seem that no one have the answer. As I dont have bright mind, i had trouble looking for answers from books.

Then I grow older and forget my questions because thats what adult do. One day I saw this game on steam and suddenly I remember my unanswered questions and decided to buy it.

Many thing (including the calculations) become make sense once I tried it. Now I can understand some basic physics and astrodynamic equation because I have experienced it virtually on KSP.

I am inspired to play KSP every day because I love flight and aircraft and space flight. I was giddy as I watched Space X make the first booster stage return landing success! Loved watching shuttle astronauts fixing the Hubble at two in the morning. I know that we as a people will return to the Moon and we will land on Mars, probably in my lifetime. However, I'm never going to go. I'll never have that opportunity to explore.  But with KSP, I can live it out in a simulated way.  That's what inspires me.

Everything this beautiful game has to offer. I have always loved space for as long a i can remember and I want to pursue a job as an astronaut, so this game makes such an amazing simulation of that! it also gets me thinking about the people who make the rockets and plan the missions!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.