[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

12 hours ago, voicey99 said:

The "ratings" are three scores each planet has that your crew (those that are landed - I'm not sure if orbiting kerbals do this as well (they might, but slowly) or whether they need to be in an MKS part)

[snip]

So if I have a farmer, geologist, biologist,technician,quartermaster and scout all in Hitch-hikers in a base on a planet, will they still get the Planetary bonuses or do they have to be in the relevant parts related to their skills for the Planetary bonuses to accrue?

If the former then I can work with that.
If the latter, having a 'crewed base' at each resource site while may be entertaining if you plan no further than Kerbin SOI but the personnel logistics and habitation timers when looking at other worlds and minimum-time-of-assist... every site where people are would need a staffed 'psychologists office' to reset the timers. Going from outpost to outpost tending to crew would become tedious for me.

I try to work on minimal life support for each mission as this takes up most of the dry mass of the mission.
I currently send unmanned miners and converters to sites and let them crack-on with the idea that; if I have all the main ingredients in PL before a crew arrives on site I decrease the chances of failed colonies due to the lack of a given resource.

Colonisation still takes a long time. eg.
First Launch Window : send Surveyors and communications. No point in sending anything else until we know what bounties the world holds.
Next window Send Automated miners and converters. This can still mean several launches and 'clumping' can become a problem.
Once all are established I can proceed with the next phase.
Next window Send Infrastructure. Farming and Industry.
Once all are established I can proceed with the next phase.
Next window Send Habitats and Crew. Will also try to launch any 'ground construction' designs which may be built on site at this time.

The problem with 'ground construction' is that by the time you can *do* it, you don't *need* it.

33 minutes ago, Daveroski said:

The problem with 'ground construction' is that by the time you can *do* it, you don't *need* it.

I have different experience, GC is very useful in late game for me. For example I tried building a nice base on Eve, it was much-much easier to land DIY kits. Also I can save millions by launching Interplanetary vessels from Minmus instead of Kerbin. Well, this with really hard settings, I can imagine that some aspects might become superfluous if there is practically unlimited money. I recommend installing Orion Nuclear Pulse Engine, there is no such thing as enough money with that :wink:

2 hours ago, Daveroski said:

Depends, of course. Later in the game, when you make a large, unbalanced, unwieldy thing that you wish to both launch and land at your base, being able to box it into a nice square form factor is very useful for transport. Just "unpack" it at your destination, and it's fine. And, since I overproduce everything, it's nice to have use of those 2 million MK that I just made and don't really have much to use it on anymore.

6 minutes ago, Gilph said:

Depends, of course. Later in the game, when you make a large, unbalanced, unwieldy thing that you wish to both launch and land at your base, being able to box it into a nice square form factor is very useful for transport. Just "unpack" it at your destination, and it's fine. And, since I overproduce everything, it's nice to have use of those 2 million MK that I just made and don't really have much to use it on anymore.

Agreed, some vessels and vehicles simply do not transport well. Larger rovers and mining vehicles especially - much simpler to send a DIY kit and go from there.

One thing I've never tried, for some reason... can a DIY kit build a vessel with a DIY kit on it?

8 minutes ago, aviatorEngineer said:

Agreed, some vessels and vehicles simply do not transport well. Larger rovers and mining vehicles especially - much simpler to send a DIY kit and go from there.

One thing I've never tried, for some reason... can a DIY kit build a vessel with a DIY kit on it?

I seem to recall that the answer was no, not fully sure though. Maybe the GC forum has the answer.

17 hours ago, santiagokof said:

yeah, sorry.... can i try one more time?

https://imgur.com/a/FwMVG

https://imgur.com/a/FwMVG

mooring!? xD DOCKING!

USI construction has 'Construction' docking ports that can be 'collapsed' to remove the docking ports and directly connect the two pieces.

There is no reason you could not do this with shipping crates.  Sure you would have a docking port during transit, but when you get it to it's final destination, just collapse the ports and you will have a direct connection with no docking ports to disturb the aesthetics.

Admittedly I have never used them(I use KIS/KAS instead), but they seem like a good option for assembling bases without excess part-count or resorting to KAS for on-site assembly.

Note: I think construction docking ports can only be put on nodes, so that may limit your assembly options.  (I think shipping crates mostly have 3 nodes, one on each end, and one on a side for surface  attaching)

Another option is to use Ground Construction for on-site construction, then use a construction docking port to connect a node on your new vessel to a node on the old vessel.  This would let you have lots of surface-attached shipping crates pre-assembled, then attached to your base with a node.

29 minutes ago, Terwin said:

(I think shipping crates mostly have 3 nodes, one on each end, and one on a side for surface  attaching)

This is something I've been wondering about, btw: in the VAB, the kontainer crates have attachment nodes on all four sides (plus the ends), but in the field, KIS only seems to recognize one of the side nodes.  Don't know why that is.

18 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

This is something I've been wondering about, btw: in the VAB, the kontainer crates have attachment nodes on all four sides (plus the ends), but in the field, KIS only seems to recognize one of the side nodes.  Don't know why that is.

I wonder if that ties in with the fact that when I've been assembling kontainer stacks in the VAB sometimes the nodes on the kontainers sometimes arbitrarily stop working and disappear, leaving them unable to snap using that node.

On 11/14/2017 at 1:56 PM, voicey99 said:

Yes, it has been that way for quite a long time. The last references to them were removed in v0.50.18.

And the FieldRepair module, that's not being used anymore either?  Trying to update the configs for some other mods to keep them compatible with USI.

For some reason, I cant do cultivating on a base due to water being "full" even though there is multiple storage tanks and containers for water. Basically they're not filling up, consequently resulting in agriculture not working. 

Please can someone reply with a solution as both bases now are suffering from this.

Thanks.

On 11/15/2017 at 6:43 PM, Eric S said:

OK, I anticipate that the answer will be to file an issue on github, but before I get distracted and forget (this is quicker, I've barely used github so it will be a learning experience), I just wanted to check and see if anyone else is seeing wrong fuel levels in the MKS inflatable storage module when set to ore/fuel/oxidizer.  It looks like the liquid fuel and oxidizer amounts got flipped around.

Then again, this could be intentional for balance reasons (so that people like me don't try to use them as fuel tanks on large interplanetary craft, for example).

I doubt that was intentional, so I've submitted PR #1361 with a fix.

Edited by Wyzard

I'm trying to understand if I'm doing something wrong or don't understand the mechanics, or if I'm running into a bug and should stop being lazy and upgrade my install and mods already.

I've got a drilling rig with 1.25m kontainers of silicates, and a big warehouse next door with a 3.5m kontainer of silicates.  I've also got an assembly plant with a few 1.24m kontainers for silicates as well But the drilling rig doesn't seem to be dumping the silicates into the warehouse or the assembly plant, they just sit there in the full kontainers.  Local Logistics are on for everything You can see the warehouse in the background here.

OFx8atg.jpg

The warehouse has a Pioneer module with a Pilot in it, the drilling rig has an engineer.

Shouldn't the silicates be pushed out of the drilling rig's containers and into the warehouse?

41 minutes ago, tsaven said:

I'm trying to understand if I'm doing something wrong or don't understand the mechanics, or if I'm running into a bug and should stop being lazy and upgrade my install and mods already.

I've got a drilling rig with 1.25m kontainers of silicates, and a big warehouse next door with a 3.5m kontainer of silicates.  I've also got an assembly plant with a few 1.24m kontainers for silicates as well But the drilling rig doesn't seem to be dumping the silicates into the warehouse or the assembly plant, they just sit there in the full kontainers.  Local Logistics are on for everything You can see the warehouse in the background here.

<schnip>

The warehouse has a Pioneer module with a Pilot in it, the drilling rig has an engineer.

Shouldn't the silicates be pushed out of the drilling rig's containers and into the warehouse?

I did some testing and it looks like only MKS resource converters trigger the LL push/pull mechanism, which pull in resources they need and pushed resources they produce. To jury-rig LL to do this for drilling outposts, add an MPU requiring the resource you're drilling to the central depot, and it will pull the resource in from the driller even when off and push the resource it produces (e.g. if you add an MPU producing LFO to the depot, it will pull in ore from surrounding drillers and push LF and OX to any nearby vessel), even when switched off and the vessels unmanned.

If that's a Pioneer-Logistics Module on the driller, I don't know why it's not pushing to PL (the warehouse doesn't need a pilot if all it does it push).

Edited by voicey99

10 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

I did some testing and it looks like only MKS resource converters trigger the LL push/pull mechanism, which pull in resources they need and pushed resources they produce. To jury-rig LL to do this for drilling outposts, add an MPU requiring the resource you're drilling to the central depot, and it will pull the resource in from the driller even when off and push the resource it produces (e.g. if you add an MPU producing LFO to the depot, it will pull in ore from surrounding drillers and push LF and OX to any nearby vessel), even when switched off and the vessels unmanned.

If that's a Pioneer-Logistics Module on the driller, I don't know why it's not pushing to PL (the warehouse doesn't need a pilot if all it does it push).

I see, thanks for the clarification.

It's a Nuclear Fuel processor on the driller, this big assembly base is build on a decent deposit of Uranite, Silicates, Water and Ore.  Everything else though is being dumped into PL from some automated drilling outposts scattered around the moon, and the pilot is there to pull everything into the warehouse/depot so it's available to the refineries on the right. (There's a big EL launchpad with some Assembly modules off camera)

On 16/11/2017 at 10:25 AM, Daveroski said:

So if I have a farmer, geologist, biologist,technician,quartermaster and scout all in Hitch-hikers in a base on a planet, will they still get the Planetary bonuses or do they have to be in the relevant parts related to their skills for the Planetary bonuses to accrue?

Ok.. so back to the question I led with..?

First of all, the ground construction thing is great.  I can use DIY kits to build large unwieldy things offworld without the problems that EPL's mechanic introduced with terrain clipping :):):)

still need EPL for orbital construction though, it seems.

My second point - I've maintained for years that there's no practical reason in KSP to ever use a rover.  However I came up with one that could be worked into MKS - give some kind of "entertainment bonus" to hab/home time if there's a rover parked <= 150m from your base (within kolonization range) ... the idea being if the kerbals can go do donuts offworld in the rover, they won't miss their K-150/Korvette back home as much .. or something like that. :)  Pretty sure Elon Musk's actual RL goal is to do donuts in a Tesla on Mars, so.. kind of a similar concept :)

Actually, I was just talking to @allista about the models for orbital construction and in-situ DIY kit creation :)

RE rovers - the only rub is whenever I have had a rover mechanic like that, people just abuse it and spam the required part on their vessel :wink:

Edited by RoverDude