[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

Are pilots supposed to have the ExplorerSkill that Scouts have?  I saw in one of the release notes (Jan 7) that both they and scouts were going to have this skill, but alas, Valentina is currently throwing a fit on her return from Iota.  I looked through the mks files and saw where it was added to scout, but it seems to be a different file that where the base classes are defined/modified.

Sorry if this has been brought up before - I tried using the search tools, but could only find the initial release notes in this thread.

5 hours ago, Apocryphus said:

Are pilots supposed to have the ExplorerSkill that Scouts have?  I saw in one of the release notes (Jan 7) that both they and scouts were going to have this skill, but alas, Valentina is currently throwing a fit on her return from Iota.  I looked through the mks files and saw where it was added to scout, but it seems to be a different file that where the base classes are defined/modified.

Sorry if this has been brought up before - I tried using the search tools, but could only find the initial release notes in this thread.

It only applies if said pilot or scout has at least 1yr of hab. If they don't then they'll go just as nuts as the next kerbal.

Hello friends! I'd like to make a comment more or less in @LatiMacciato's line, not as a complaint but as an user and fan criticism. Needless to say, I love this mod and the ambition and good work of its creator, and I am trully thankful for this free and amazing add-on to KSP.

I have been playing for a while with MKS combined with EL, and I keep an eye on this forum and more or less I am able to make self-sustained bases and build things off-kerbin, but I have to say I have never been able to really plan or predict how it was going to work: sometimes things don't work as they should, sometimes the info available is out of date or doesn't exist, most of the time I'm sure I'm too dumb to figure it out.

I have often tried to make an excel to plan planetary bases and other missions, but I find it impossible. I wonder if anyone was able to acomplish this. I normally go the kerbal way: make it big and send more stuff until it works. I also see people trying to figure out how things work making test bases and watching the results. I can see this can also be challenging and part ot the game, but I guess Roverdude wants to make a difficult mod, but not necesarilly a "difficult to figure out how it works" mod.

What I would really appreciate as fan and user is if we could have all the math behind the MKS processes working correctly and explained. It's not a complaint, it's not even a petition, it's just a wish. Hope that this is read as a constructive critic of someone who really appreciate this mod. Best wishes!!

@Perringo - the Wiki/KSPedia is pretty thorough, and over the releases, efficiency has been simplified.

If something is not covered in the Wiki/KSPedia and you feel an explanation is needed, ask.  And once you have an answer, add it to the Wiki.  Though these cases seem to be getting fewer (more often than not, I see people pointing folks to the Wiki/KSPedia sections).  The math should all be covered there.  The rub with the math of course is that there are a lot of variables, especially when you throw planetary concentrations into the mix.

If a conversion has a bug and is not working correctly... same answer as previously.  GitHub issue with a USI+Stock save.  

@Perringo Just to add to what RD said, if you aren't confident in actually updating the wiki yourself but find something that could be included give us a shout over here and we'll be happy to get it added to the wiki for you. That includes times when you come across something that needs adding even if you don't know the answer, we can get it worked out and added. Though we've already added everything we can think of so it'd need to be a specific request not just 'add more'.

Thanks for the reply, RoverDude! I will keep on investigating and I will try to lend a hand if I can. I'm not an expert at all and I don't have a lot of free time, so I would like to extend my gratitude to the guys working on the wiki and helping with the mod.

Regarding the info available, though I can find general gidelines of how things work in the wiki, when it comes to raw math I can't find it. For example, I can't seem to find how to get the efficiency percentage expected for the production of a module. It involves the stars of the kerbals inside? the efficiency of the total vessel? planetary efficiency? I know there is a direct link between machinery and efficiency, but wich other variables are involved and how?? What I would like to have are the formulas!! I don't know if they are somewhere, but if they are... they are hidden!

Anyway man, I love your work and I will keep on playing your mods because they are awesome. Keep on the good work and best wishes!!

17 hours ago, RoverDude said:

peration on Ike that fed resources to a factory on Duna, and have both supplied with machinery from Minmus.  Without ever having to swap vessels to play catch-up.

We'll see how quickly I can knock this out :D

This is awesome! will the transfer be instantly or take as long as expected for the transfer?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this info still correct for the effeciency calculations?

x: Machinery inside Main Part (0 to 100 %); 

y: Machinery inside Efficiency Part (0 to 100 %); 

n: Number of Efficiency Parts used; 

T: Type of module (Duna: T = 29.8368; Tundra 2.5m: T = 23.0566; Tundra 3.75m: T = 6.0928) 

L: Level of Scientist with more experience (Level); 

If you don't have a scientist around your base: L = 1 

If you have a level 0 scientist around your base: L = 5 

If you have a level 1 scientist around your base: L = 9 

If you have a level 2 scientist around your base: L = 13 

If you have a level 3 scientist around your base: L = 17 

If you have a level 4 scientist around your base: L = 21 

If you have a level 5 scientist around your base: L = 25

iOuLHAT.png

Dboy I appreciate your answer too! I am aware all the work RoverDude and you guys do here is voluntary, so I would not dare asking or requesting anything at all, even more when I'm a lazy user and not involved in helping with the mod as many of you are. However, I have pointed simple things I have encounter in this forum and have to say RD have solved them in short time (specifically the problem with machinery and PL, which I believe it has been soved in this release!).

Anyway, If I was to make a wish to the MKS wizzard it wold be... FORMULAS FORMULAS FORMULAS!!!

The industrial strip miner seems to be bugged for me (at least on Minmus, I haven't tested it elsewhere).  By default it was giving me a "no ground contact" error regardless of positioning, and despite clearly burrowing well into the ground.

Fortunately, I was actually able to fix it pretty easily by changing the ImpactRange values in the part description from 5 to 50 (at, least, I'm reasonably certain that's what fixed it).

Just thought I'd throw that out there in case it was helpful.

17 hours ago, TauPhraim said:

What are the known (big) problems with current release ?

Absolutely, positively nothing...it was awesome :). Every strange, weird, annoying issue I was having in my career save seemed to have gone away after the last release.  I even started a new one, thinking my old one was corrupted, but that wasn't the case. So, many thanks to all who contributed.

Hi, sorry for hijacking the post, but I've been away from a while (I messed up and upgraded too early to 1.2 and all the mods I used went crazy), and I was wondering if OKS is dead, is part of one of the threads that disappeared, or if it's been merged with MKS.

Thanks for the awesome mods.

8 minutes ago, Noobton said:

Hi, sorry for hijacking the post, but I've been away from a while (I messed up and upgraded too early to 1.2 and all the mods I used went crazy), and I was wondering if OKS is dead, is part of one of the threads that disappeared, or if it's been merged with MKS.

Thanks for the awesome mods.

The OKS line of parts is dead - as are much of the corresponding MKS line.  The new MKS line is designed to cover both situations.  (Every single part was replaced when KSP 1.2 came out.)

8 minutes ago, DStaal said:

The OKS line of parts is dead - as are much of the corresponding MKS line.  The new MKS line is designed to cover both situations.  (Every single part was replaced when KSP 1.2 came out.)

Great, thanks for the clarification :)

Been thinking about the storage design and warehousing.

In all of the parts, there is some native storage capacity built into the part.  That capacity is not warehouse enabled, so things in that container cannot be scavenged. My solutions have been to attach another, warehouse-enabled tank to the base and turn off the native storage. This way, the resources all go to the warehouse tank, and they get shared/scavenged.

Is there any consideration being given to change some of the native storage to be warehouse enabled? Obviously, things like machinery and organics can be excluded as they affect load on the part, but supplies, mulch, recyclables, depleted fuel, etc. are more useful if they can be scavenged. Seems somewhat wasteful to have to always duplicate these tanks and lose the capacity on the original part..

Thanks

5 hours ago, dboi88 said:

Is this info still correct for the effeciency calculations?

iOuLHAT.png

I don't think so. Or at least that's a very strange way of formulating it, not in the same order as the game calculates. I'm not saying this randomly, as I happen to be currently trying to write some in-game GUI that details some of the calculations. It currently produces correct results apparently, but that's for MKS version n-3 or 4. To anyone feeling like running random stranger's code, I can provide a sample dll, else it will need to wait until I reach a better state.

The 5Lx part looks correct, but the rest less so: Kolony bonuses should be used. There's no L2 anymore now, and the efficiency parts are counted Kolony-wide, and do not all have the same value (so you can't just multiply by their number). Also having other converters benefiting from the same efficiency parts will lower your own gain.

4 minutes ago, TauPhraim said:

I don't think so. Or at least that's a very strange way of formulating it, not in the same order as the game calculates. I'm not saying this randomly, as I happen to be currently trying to write some in-game GUI that details some of the calculations. It currently produces correct results apparently, but that's for MKS version n-3 or 4. To anyone feeling like running random stranger's code, I can provide a sample dll, else it will need to wait until I reach a better state.

The 5Lx part looks correct, but the rest less so: Kolony bonuses should be used. There's no L2 anymore now, and the efficiency parts are counted Kolony-wide, and do not all have the same value (so you can't just multiply by their number). Also having other converters benefiting from the same efficiency parts will lower your own gain.

Ohh you need to come on over to the MKS documentation thread with some math for us when you're done! It is likely out of date as this was last confirmed correct back Occtober16.

Edit: i'm not certain it was ever confirmed correct

Edited by dboi88

Fair warning...the permanent tourist bug is back.  I'll log a Github issue about it.

Basically be careful on rescue missions where the stranded kerbal is in a Ranger part with no electric generation ability.

What's new is that they don't act 100% like tourists...you can still EVA with them and even collect data and plant flags (and they collect FF ribbons and experience), but they have no other skills.